Getting back up to speed

samcrx3

Apr 25, 2005
Hi girls,
I am recovering from illness - a week in hospital with confirmed pneumonia. I have been on IV antibiotics and fluids. Weeks before I got pneumonia, many of my cycling friends noticed a steady decline in stamina and endurance. I too didn't feel well either. I had a cold that didn't really get any better. Now that behind me, I ready to basically start again.
I know it is going to be slow going - I'm tired. But I'm feeling so much better, my chest so wonderfully clear instead of claggy.
Any good ideas/program to slowly get back up to speed again, without killing myself?
Thanks Sam

I have found yoga to be *extremely* helpful in healing and recovery. Yoga is just naturally a healing kind of exercise, and many flavors of yoga focus on breathing techniques. Pranayama yoga focuses mainly on the breath. It's also becoming more and more acknowleged as a good cross-training technique for cyclists (especially ashtanga, or "power yoga"). It would be a good way to start building up a stable base in conjunction with tempo rides.

I would go with the Yoga, too! I had extended time off work last year and the year previous to that after operations, and I got back to fitness by starting off with yoga, then gentle walking combined with gentle cycle rides. Don't push yourself too soon and increase a little each day.

Hope you feel 100% soon :)

Hi Sam! Hope you are feeling better. I had a case of bronchitis this winter that nearly finished me. I had been off the bike for weeks but just got back on and am riding slowly back to myself again. I am walking a little and lifting, but the bike is the best for me. You have to breathe. But you can take it easy and being outdoors is the best medicine. Just go ride and have fun. Have no agenda but to get out and ride for as long as you can. Even if it is only for a little bit.