getting better ride / saddle position

cc

Guest
Bedders wrote:
> x-no-archive: yes
>
> got a basic £140 'mountain bike' (though one sniff of any rocks and it would
> probably run away..), but having probs getting a comfortable ride position-
> calves feeling very stiff, even after regular rides.
>
> rising the saddle pole, or getting the next frame size up would endanger my
> chances of a family life, so wondering if its easier to get shorter pedal
> cranks, or shift the saddle back somehow? its already at the rear limit..

If your frame is indeed sized correctly, the way to adjust riding
position is by simply raising/lowering the saddle height. For the best
spin, you'll want it so that your knee is very slightly bent at maximum
extension, i.e. at the bottom of your pedal stroke. Lowering your saddle
from this point to make riding more comfortable over rugged/downhill
terrain will give you more leeway to shift weight, but will come at the
expense of pedaling efficiency.

Your post implies that you're not encountering terrain that would
necessitate lowering your saddle, so you'll probably want to adjust it
as I mentioned. You should find that it results in the most comfortable
spin.

cc

x-no-archive: yes

got a basic £140 'mountain bike' (though one sniff of any rocks and it would
probably run away..), but having probs getting a comfortable ride position-
calves feeling very stiff, even after regular rides.

rising the saddle pole, or getting the next frame size up would endanger my
chances of a family life, so wondering if its easier to get shorter pedal
cranks, or shift the saddle back somehow? its already at the rear limit..

As above really, that's it , if your saddle height is wrong, get it
right and the difference is quite remarkable, especially on a
relatively inexpensive bike that is probably quite heavy.

Possibly worth changing the pedals for something with a bigger platform
and a bit smoother turning as well. if you are in the uk, you can get
copies of Wellgo v8s for about eight or ten £ from Halfords and they
make a big difference.

jahwomble wrote:
> As above really, that's it , if your saddle height is wrong, get it
> right and the difference is quite remarkable, especially on a
> relatively inexpensive bike that is probably quite heavy.
>
> Possibly worth changing the pedals for something with a bigger platform
> and a bit smoother turning as well. if you are in the uk, you can get
> copies of Wellgo v8s for about eight or ten £ from Halfords and they
> make a big difference.

Another thing to think about is that if you are new to cycling, your
body may be stiff or sore after you push it by riding. If your bike fits
reasonably well and you've got the saddle height about right, you may
still get stiff calves until they get accustomed to cycling.

Matt

MattB wrote:
> jahwomble wrote:
>
>> As above really, that's it , if your saddle height is wrong, get it
>> right and the difference is quite remarkable, especially on a
>> relatively inexpensive bike that is probably quite heavy.
>>
>> Possibly worth changing the pedals for something with a bigger platform
>> and a bit smoother turning as well. if you are in the uk, you can get
>> copies of Wellgo v8s for about eight or ten £ from Halfords and they
>> make a big difference.
>>

> Another thing to think about is that if you are new to cycling, your
> body may be stiff or sore after you push it by riding. If your bike fits
> reasonably well and you've got the saddle height about right, you may
> still get stiff calves until they get accustomed to cycling.

Probably true, but I would be
a simple adjustment of the
saddle will do the trick.