Getting dropped

Depends what 19yo you're talking about. If it's an overweight or gormless looking baseball cap wearing type with a create of Stella under his arm then I have all the confidence you can drop him :D

Not if I myself am a overweight, gormless looking baseball cap wearing 38 year old with a crate of Stella under my arm I couldn't, haha!

I do take your point though, and not all younger cyclists can sprint away just because they're younger. There is a tactical side to raid racing that people can only get from experience.

Doesn't matter, its all good. Most of the time they are just trying to pass and get ahead. Driver's do the same thing. There all in such a big hurry to get to no where. Lol. Unless you are in a race. Hurry up and get to the red light. Go faster so there is no one in front of me. Go at your own pace and level. Accomplishing something and doing what you need to do. Its like when people pass you in a car to get in front of you. They slow down ahead of you or in the next lane. What's the purpose of that? Can they maintain the speed on a bike or running? This is the real question.

Not if I myself am a overweight, gormless looking baseball cap wearing 38 year old with a crate of Stella under my arm I couldn't, haha!

I do take your point though, and not all younger cyclists can sprint away just because they're younger. There is a tactical side to raid racing that people can only get from experience.

That would be a race I would love to see I have to say. First one to the goal gets a Stella or Whitestar coupon! :D

Yeah it does vary from person to person and I might be being a little closed minded but I cannot see why it would be a big problem being dropped if you're not in any sort of race. Cycling is fun and it should always be that.

Well, if it's a race it's another matter, some will go ahead and others behind, it's a part of the game. Like I say my kids, if you don't want to lose, don't play.

I sometimes join a big group of riders up the Antipolo road - the neatly paved but zigzag uphill road that cyclists love. When I ride with a group, it is understandable that I would be left behind so what I do is to join the lead pack and pedal as fast as I can. But usually when nearing the uphill point, I would be like moving backward, hahahaaah. But in fairness, the last pack is friendly and would stay by me despite my slow speed.

When I go with large groups many times those include inexperienced riders and of course those are left behind, but many times we wait for them up ahead so that we continue as a group.

Hasn't happened to me - yet - most likely because I'm still a rookie with groups so I only ride with no-drop B groups...

OK. I took a slightly different route than the group and thought I saw two of them pass by on the cross road just ahead of me. So I kicked it up to 28 mph for three miles and they continued stretching the lead. That's when I knew that it wasn't them. In another case I was accelerating to 28 mph and above trying to catch a group and I kept getting red lights just as I was about to get on. This continued for 5 miles.

If you haven't been dropped you're riding with sissies.

If you haven't been dropped you're riding with sissies.

Theirs a different between what he's saying and someone taking pride that they are a macho man who has never been dropped. Basically he's a rookie who's riding within his ability, nothing wrong with that. I'm a rookie as well, started last May. I'm moving up in groups in my local bike club and will go from being in front to in back during rides(these guys are fast!Yes, I will get dropped some). If gaining speed isn't a concern, riding with a no drop group with people of equal ability is fine. If you want to get significantly faster, getting dropped for a month or two may be whats needed. If your on a bike putting in miles, you are not a "sissy".

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL, if you haven't been dropped what? :D Come on, that's totally out of the point, there's always someone better than us.

I do think there a a but of male pride involved when it comes to getting dropped, and nobody wants to admit they've been beaten.

I think what makes it worse is the fact that sometimes, the other cyclists may not be as good as you but start to pull away just because you've not paced yourself as well as they have. Then unfortunately you've only got yourself to blame!

I do think there a a but of male pride involved when it comes to getting dropped, and nobody wants to admit they've been beaten.

I think what makes it worse is the fact that sometimes, the other cyclists may not be as good as you but start to pull away just because you've not paced yourself as well as they have. Then unfortunately you've only got yourself to blame!

Pacing yourself is more important than max speed. If they can out pace you, they were better on that day.

What I think is strange is when guys ride together but one guy always seems to want to drop the others. Happened to me this weekend. I'd take the front and hold a steady pace allowing others to recover. Once we rotated, one guy would keep shooting little attacks. By the time you start to recover, he was pulling off the front. I really think he was trying to drop us or maybe prove some kind of point. Ends up after his series of attacks he started fading. Pulls were getting shorter and less snappy. 25 miles down the road we end up dropping him because he could no longer hold the pace.

If you are not racing, I'm not sure why there has to be a "dropping" involved? Can't people just ride together? Riding together benefits pretty much everybody!

Pretty much why I avoid clubs. Strong riders pull for the first 30 or 40 miles then the wheel suckers attack on the last mile to show how strong they are...... WTF! :rolleyes:

Reactions: oportosanto
That's what I was saying @Mr. Beanz , if it's not a race why can't we go together? In fact that's what I do, I might go ahead for a while and return for the slower ones.

Reactions: Mr. Beanz
It's always an insult to the ego being overtaken, but I've come to live with it. When out and about, you might be crossing paths with someone who is deliberately riding fast intervals, while you're coming to the end of a hilly 70 miler. Horse for courses, as they say.....

What I think is strange is when guys ride together but one guy always seems to want to drop the others. Happened to me this weekend. I'd take the front and hold a steady pace allowing others to recover. Once we rotated, one guy would keep shooting little attacks. By the time you start to recover, he was pulling off the front. I really think he was trying to drop us or maybe prove some kind of point. Ends up after his series of attacks he started fading. Pulls were getting shorter and less snappy. 25 miles down the road we end up dropping him because he could no longer hold the pace.

If you are not racing, I'm not sure why there has to be a "dropping" involved? Can't people just ride together? Riding together benefits pretty much everybody!

Pretty much why I avoid clubs. Strong riders pull for the first 30 or 40 miles then the wheel suckers attack on the last mile to show how strong they are...... WTF! :rolleyes:

A but if healthy competition does no harm though and even if your not racing there's nothing stopping you from having a laugh and maybe a sprint finish at the end of the ride.

If there's just one rider though that does that then I'd be inclined to have a word because he's obviously just trying to boost his own ego by finishing ahead of the rest on purpose and when it's a leisurely ride that's uncalled for.

We do ride in a friendly group so we stay together. If we run into some showboat that latches on then starts clowning around, I will send one of the stronger riders to blow his doors off just to teach him a lesson. So yeah we have fun. Especially when Aimee is in shape we send her ha ha! So it's like a mother ship sending off little fighter planes here and there. :D The tiderd I'm talking about Pwarbi are the ones who refuse to take the front then sprint around at the end. We had one guy tjst did that like 10 rides in a row. I asked him about it and he said he wanted to show everybody what he had left. I told him if he wanted to prove he was strong he should take the front during the ride. He did after that then endef up getting dropped half wsy through our 40 miler. But the group slowed for him to keep up 2 different times on that ride. He never show boated again after that ha ha!

I'm the same way as Susimi is, not competitive, adventurous. I don't give up on things I set my mind on to do...most of the time. Racing on a bike is not one of those things.

In most B groups, "no-drop" really means "we'll wait for you at the next stop sign". ;)

I've had a few rides this winter in a "no drop B group" where I was having mechanical problems..My chain fell off 5 times one of the days. I sprinted to catch up, but by the 5th time, I was dropped. No drop groups have those zombie movie moments once in a while.Like when someone gets bit and tries to tell everyone they're ok.