Getting fed up

bianchi10

Oct 28, 2009
So I think I may be the record holder with saddle threads in this forum ;).

I am so fed up with saddles and TRYING to find the ride one!!!!! :mad: Some of you remember I tried this Cobb V flow plus saddle. Still haven't given up on it yet but dangit I'm about to. I have played with damn near every position on it, had it looked at with my body position to try and get some proffessional help instead of me just toying with it. Still, here we are 5 saddles tried and returned (about to be 6) in less than a year. I had good feelings about this Cobb saddle as it started out great. Now that I am riding more aggressive, longer average rides and pushing myself to ride more throughout the week my bum is starting to hate me! 2 weeks ago it was front pain, yesterday it was my sit bones. I did a 70 mile ride yesterday and the last 20 miles hurt like mad. I layed in bed last night which was like 9 hours after getting home from my ride and felt like I was still sitting on my bike. I felt like my sit bones were bruised.

My riding buddy thinks it could be the chamois cream I am using. (assos) thinks I should try a ride or two without it and see what happens. This is in more regards to the abrassion like burn I have gotten lately under my sit bones and in the crease of my crotch and leg. Any thoughts on that?

I am going to give this saddle till the end of July and if it doesn't change for the better, it is going back and I am going to look at the Specialized phenom or the specialized Romain. I hear the Phenom is made to be more of a mtn bike saddle but road bikers seem to like it as well as it is shaped like the toupe but has a little bit more padding and doesn't have the plastic nose and tail pieces which are notorious for breaking. The Romain seems to be a little bit wider at the nose than the toupe but has a little bit of a curl up shape in the back. I had sat on a couple bikes that had a curl up rear and they feel comfortable right away. Maybe that will help give some support?

I tell ya, I love cycling. But I am starting to get very frustrated in the lack of comfort and abundance of pain I have felt through all these wrong saddles.

Any suggestions? Other than sell the bike and take up another sport :D

Such is life when it comes to finding the right saddle. Some can get on with any saddle, and some....well, you now know that some can't.

I don't see the reason in continuing to try the Cobb. You've been on it for a while with no success. All you're going to succeed in doing is making yourself hurt more. You say that saddles with a curve--a classic saddle shape--seem to be comfortable right off. You should give those a go. Not everyone can use a flat saddle. Make sure you get a saddle that is wide enough to accommodate your sit bones.

I don't think chamois cream is a factor in the issues you've been having. I can just about guarantee that if you don't use the cream, especially on longer rides, you'll have even worse sores than if you had used cream. As for creams, there are other to try of course:
  • Chamois Butter
  • Belgian Butter
  • Bag Balm (found at feed stores/farm supply places, believe it or not)
  • DZ Nuts
There are others, but these are the most popular (Assos included). I've used Chamois Butter and found that it didn't work nearly as well as Assos' cream. I'd suggest you try either Bag Balm or DZ Nuts. Bag Balm is a bit greasy and can stain your chamois, but I don't think that's too important, unless you like to show off your chamois.

alienator said:
Such is life when it comes to finding the right saddle. Some can get on with any saddle, and some....well, you now know that some can't.

I don't see the reason in continuing to try the Cobb. You've been on it for a while with no success. All you're going to succeed in doing is making yourself hurt more. You say that saddles with a curve--a classic saddle shape--seem to be comfortable right off. You should give those a go. Not everyone can use a flat saddle. Make sure you get a saddle that is wide enough to accommodate your sit bones.

I don't think chamois cream is a factor in the issues you've been having. I can just about guarantee that if you don't use the cream, especially on longer rides, you'll have even worse sores than if you had used cream. As for creams, there are other to try of course:
  • Chamois Butter
  • Belgian Butter
  • Bag Balm (found at feed stores/farm supply places, believe it or not)
  • DZ Nuts
There are others, but these are the most popular (Assos included). I've used Chamois Butter and found that it didn't work nearly as well as Assos' cream. I'd suggest you try either Bag Balm or DZ Nuts. Bag Balm is a bit greasy and can stain your chamois, but I don't think that's too important, unless you like to show off your chamois.

Dr Naylor..found at good bike shops also. Less lanolin, less greasy with a hint of oil of clove..smalls better.

Topical Medications for Animal Health - Dr. Naylor - Home

Have you thought about a Brooks saddle? They should eventually mold to your needs over time.

TKOS said:
Have you thought about a Brooks saddle? They should eventually mold to your needs over time.

Yes, that's a terrifying truth:

brooks.jpg

Just curious - what shorts are you wearing? Something thats high quaility or a pair thats a fair bit cheaper than your saddle?

In my experience a good fitting pair of really good shorts makes more of a difference than a change of saddle can.

This is something that is always in the back of my mind. My shorts are not great. I usually get the team kits from ebay so the high production cheap chamois could have something to do with it. Here is my problem......i am fairly vein and am very concious on how i look. Not just with cycling but with all sports i particapte in. Just the wag i have always been. I am a very athletic person and usually accel quickly in any sport. This isn't the first time i have put looks before comfort. Maybe my shorts gave been the problem all along, well that or my mentality.

I recently bought some Giordana Tenax carbon bib shorts. The chamois is almost twice as thick as my previous shorts and I don't notice the saddle at all now. These were reasonably priced too £72 ($110) considering that they are a quality technical product. But be warned - Giordana, like many Italian bike companies, size really small. These go up to XXXL. I'm usually medium. I bought a Large and an XL wouldn't have been too big on me (5'8" 180lbs)

More expensive, better quality shorts may be part of the answer. Just remember that more expensive and quality do not mean the same thing. The same is true with saddles. Two of my most prized saddles are a Forte Contour which was on sale for $34.00, and a no-name saddle that I bought off eBay for $8.00. All it had was the word "Velo" marked on it which has since rubbed off. I also have a Selle Italia Flite Gel Flow($180) and a Fizek Arione($134.00). These are OK for shorter rides, but for anything over 40 miles, I'm putting on the Forte or the Velo.

For advice, look for a saddle that is wider than the distance between your Ischial Tuberosities, or sit bones. Don't get hung up on the saddle having to flip up in the back. I doubt that it would make the saddle more comfortable but it drastically reduces the number of saddles available for you to try. And keep trying saddles until you find one that works for you. It takes more time for some people. And don't buy a particular saddle simply because someone says that it is the best saddle that they ever owned.everyones backside is different and what works for one person doesn't work for everyone. Here is a weblink to a site might help you in your continueing search for a saddle: Bicycle Seats Bike Saddles Explained by Jim Langley.
Don't be shy about trying something different, even maybe a women's specific design saddle. I loved my lady friend's Nashbar WSD saddle until she took it away. But just keep at it until you find yours, or learn to fide standing up:rolleyes:!

Like others have mentioned; it's a combination of bike fit, good shorts, and a saddle that fits your seat bones properly.

The Nashbar Apollo shorts that I've been using for several years are the best I've ever had in terms of the comfort provided by the chamois pad. Too bad they don't make those anymore.

I've also purchased a pair of Pearl Izumi Ultra Attack shorts and a pair of Cavalo Corso bib shorts this year. They are both very good, but don't have quite the pad density that Nashbar Apollo shorts have.

The seat I've been using on my old C-Dale for the past several years is a Serfas Aria. I bought it at my LBS because it was the correct width for me and I thought it looked nice. I think I paid about $40 for it, so it's not anything fancy. I bought it, put it on my bike and haven't really thought too much about it since. I had to go look at it while I was posting this to see what brand it is.

So I'm riding an old all aluminum bike that fits me, wearing mid-priced shorts, using an inexpensive saddle that is the correct width, I've never had any need for chamois cream, and I don't have problems with sore seat bones or chafing.

Maybe you need to start from scratch. Make sure the bike fit is correct, seat fit is correct, and get some shorts with good chamois pad density.

I hope you get it figured out soon!

ok so I ended up with a new saddle. the NEW fizik aliante VS model which has the "love channel". I think it may be the only fizik with an actual "cut out" or dip. anyway I took her out on a quick test ride and it felt much better than the cobb saddle off the get go. We will have to see if it holds that comfort after a longer ride. One thing I do like about this off the start is the material seems to be a little..."squishy?" which allows my body to pivot nicely. Got back and didn't have any kind of burning or pain in the sit bones or front groin area. Hope this one is a keeper!!
I will test this out and if it works out I will exchange it for a white one to match the bike nicely.

never have i even thought of butt pain with this bad boy and i've done a few centuries here and there. very well known to be one of the best and most comfortable. i got lucky though, it came with my bike so haven't been on anything else, no need to even consider it. different varieties too, some with padding.

just a suggestion for further thought.

sbc_seat_toupe_team_blu9.jpg

I did a test ride on one and hated it. maybe I didn't really give it a chance but after a 10 mile ride with it, I hated it so much I wanted to walk back. perfect example of what works for you doesn't for me ;)

Sounds like you might have a keeper there.

Two thoughts on saddle fit:

- Pay attention to how you adjust your position when things start feeling uncomfortable. If you tend to slide back to get more comfort than it's likely that your saddle is too narrow. If you slide forward the saddle could be too wide or the wrong angle and causing discomfort. A couple of years ago I had a saddle that felt awesome for about two hours but then I could hardly tolerate it. Over time I noticed my answer was to slide further and further back to relieve pressure. Sure enough a wider saddle helped a lot.

- Have you looked at the fitting videos on John Cobb's site: Cobb Cycling regardless of what you think of his saddle design, there's some good info on these videos as they relate to different body types and different cycling disciplines. Specifically have you tried working on a position with your pelvic girdle consciously rocked forward possibly combined with the tip of your saddle tilted up by a few degrees. I know it sounds ridiculous and it probably isn't for everyone but as much as I resisted this idea it turns out to work really well for me and along with a slightly wider saddle has resulted in a lot more comfort to both my rear end and my lower back. The key is you really can't tip the nose of the saddle up if you don't also learn to rock your pelvis forward. One without the other is almost certainly going to be uncomfortable but when I do both it feels like I'm sitting in...well in a 'saddle' that just cups things down there with no real pressure on the sit bones and surprisingly little pressure on the sensitive stuff either. Anyway if the shape of the saddle isn't the answer you might at least try his ideas on how you sit on the saddle and how that might lead to an unusual concept in saddle angle.

Just food for thought if you still haven't found the answer.

-Dave

thanks for the advice dave! I have watched john cobbs videos a lot. He was able to talk to me on the phone and via email a couple times trying to help me. Its unfortunate that it didn't work out. I feel bad to send it back, but that's what his return poicy is for.

bianchi10 said:
This is something that is always in the back of my mind. My shorts are not great. I usually get the team kits from ebay so the high production cheap chamois could have something to do with it. Here is my problem......i am fairly vein and am very concious on how i look. Not just with cycling but with all sports i particapte in. Just the wag i have always been. I am a very athletic person and usually accel quickly in any sport. This isn't the first time i have put looks before comfort. Maybe my shorts gave been the problem all along, well that or my mentality.

I can heartly recommend the Pearl Izumi P.R.O. bib short. Expensive, yes... well, they are as comfy as the 'twice the price' Assos stuff which is only ever so slightly better fitting (in my experience) but the PI's don't have the leg grippers that are like a tourniquet.

Pearl Izumi have a bunch of Factory Outlet stores around the country and those feature lots of 'last years' clothing but at around 25% to 40% off. I just picked up a pair of PRO shorts for $115 instead of the usual $155.

Even after 6 hours on the bike in the hills, these shorts leave my neither regions feeling as good as they were when they got on the bike at the start of the ride.

BAH!! :*( just found out my new saddle only comes in black!!!! darnit all!!!!! oh well I guess you dont see it when it's under your butt