Getting fit

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Denis O'Keeffe, Jun 14, 2003.

  1. Hi Can anyone offer me some advice please. I am looking for either some professional advice or a
    good book on regaining my fitness.

    After a period off the bike I have returned only to find that my fitness level has plummeted. Would
    ideally like a coach who will give me some personal motivation.

    Used to the pains of cycling, when I was fit used to ride ~ 12,000 miles a year Two aims
    1. To lose about a stone
    2. To get fit for endurance cycling

    Any suggestions?

    Regards

    Denis

    Tags:

  2. >1. To lose about a stone

    That's the easy bit.

    Keep a diary of stuff you eat. Weigh everything you eat. No fried food at all No normal cheese at
    all No more than 12oz red meat a week Cut out alcohol Eat loads of veggies Use skimmed milk Don't
    add salt to your food Don't have sugar No more than the equivalent of 2 teaspoons fat per day. Eat
    three meals a day and in that *always* have breakfast.

    The above works :)

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~
    h$**$*$el$**e$n$**$d$**$o$*$t**$$s$**$im$mo$ns*@a$**o$l.c$$*o$*m*$ by getting rid of the
    overdependence on money and fame
    ~~~~~~~~~~

  3. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > >1. To lose about a stone
    >
    > That's the easy bit.
    >
    > Keep a diary of stuff you eat. Weigh everything you eat. No fried food at all No normal cheese at
    > all No more than 12oz red meat a week Cut out alcohol Eat loads of veggies Use skimmed milk Don't
    > add salt to your food Don't have sugar No more than the equivalent of 2 teaspoons fat per day. Eat
    > three meals a day and in that *always* have breakfast.
    >
    > The above works :)

    But the side effects are that you slash your wrists within a week :(

  4. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > >But the side effects are that you slash your wrists within a week :(
    >
    > Nah - I haven't ;-)

    Yet.

    Now the torture:--

    Chocolate Ice Cream A nice Chardonnay Cream cakes Sticky toffee Buttered scones Two pints of lager &
    a packet of crisps

    :)

  5. Andymorris

    Andymorris Guest

    Tony W wrote:
    > "wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >>> But the side effects are that you slash your wrists within a week :(
    >>
    >> Nah - I haven't ;-)
    >

    > Yet.
    >

    > Now the torture:--
    >

    > Chocolate Ice Cream A nice Chardonnay Cream cakes Sticky toffee Buttered scones Two pints of lager
    > & a packet of crisps
    >
    > :)

    I think thats taking "Bib Shorts Without Fear" a bit far.

    --
    Andy Morris

    AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK

  6. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > What *is* a torture for me is resisting a nice big wedge of passion cake.

    Always give into passion -- and don't call me cake!!

  7. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

  8. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    On Sun, 15 Jun 2003 14:34:09 +0100, "Tony W" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >
    >> What *is* a torture for me is resisting a nice big wedge of passion cake.
    >
    >Always give into passion -- and don't call me cake!!

    Tony, mate, a word of advice: Be careful, be very, very careful. After all, who has access to the
    slabs in this NG? You may recall I mentioned women, kitchens and ironing a while ago so I speak from
    experience.

    James

  9. Graeme

    Graeme Guest

    [email protected] (wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX) wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    >>Ice Cream
    > Only if it's Ben & Jerry's is it torture

    Well I've just finished a hard weekend of flat tarting up in order to sell it - no cycling AT ALL
    for at least a month until now :-( so I'm now going to reward myself with a nice hot shower and a
    tub of Ben & Jerry's. Hmmm, now which will it be "Fish Food" or "Karamel Sutra"? (or however those
    word mangling Americans spell them).

    By the way B&Js* are two for a fiver at Sainsbury's just now. Oh I'm sorry Helen, is your drool
    ruining your keyboard :->

    Have (tub loads of) fun!

    Graeme

    * I almost wrote "BJs are two for a fiver" but I'm sure Sainsbury haven't branched out into that
    line of business quite yet.

  10. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "James Hodson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Tony, mate, a word of advice: Be careful, be very, very careful. After all, who has access to the
    > slabs in this NG? You may recall I mentioned women, kitchens and ironing a while ago so I speak
    > from experience.

    I'll wear my bibs with pride and take the consequences :(

  11. On Sun, 15 Jun 2003 20:24:14 -0000, Graeme <[email protected]> wrote:

    >[email protected] (wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX) wrote in
    >news:[email protected]:
    >
    >>>Ice Cream
    >> Only if it's Ben & Jerry's is it torture
    >>

    >Well I've just finished a hard weekend of flat tarting up in order to sell it - no cycling AT ALL
    >for at least a month until now :-( so I'm now going to reward myself with a nice hot shower and a
    >tub of Ben & Jerry's. Hmmm, now which will it be "Fish Food" or "Karamel Sutra"? (or however those
    >word mangling Americans spell them).

    Mmmm... Karamel Sutra....

    On Saturday, SWMBO and I collected her new bike, a Dawes Kara-Kum. Sunday was spent bolting various
    accessories onto said bike (lights, Air-zound etc.) after which she went out for a test ride. 1 hour
    later, Mrs. G returns, pannier bulging. "Nice ride?" sez I. "Great. Oh, I was passing the
    supermarket and thought you might like these" sez she, removing 2 pots of B&J's finest (Karamel
    Sutra and One Sweet Whirled for those who are interested) and a bottle of decent vodka.

    Happy happy joy joy belch hic thud.

    :)

    --
    DG

    Bah!

  12. 2LAP

    2LAP New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 22, 2002
    Messages:
    1,265
    Dennis

    Check out this link it gives some information about getting a coach in the UK http://www.cyclingforums.com/t27816.html.

    Every pound of body fat is 3500 kcal so if you use 3500 kcal than you eat you will lose a pound of fat. This can be acheived by eatting 100 kcal less each day for 35 days or 500 kcal less for 7 days. Most adult weight gain is caused by decreasing physical activity due to changes in lifestyle (cars, work, etc.) and better nutrition (e.g. more money = more meals out, etc.); resulting in a few extra kcals each day for years.

    2LAP

  13. "wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > >But the side effects are that you slash your wrists within a week :(
    >
    > Nah - I haven't ;-)

    I bet all this is impossible unless positively *nothing else matters in your life. In which case,
    what's the point?

    F A

    *Putting your unnatural preoccupation with bib-shorts to one side.

  14. Graham

    Graham Guest

    2LAP <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Dennis
    >
    > Check out this link it gives some information about getting a coach in the UK
    > http://www.cyclingforums.com/t27816.html.
    >
    > Every pound of body fat is 3500 kcal so if you use 3500 kcal than you eat you will lose a pound of
    > fat. This can be acheived by eatting 100 kcal less each day for 35 days or 500 kcal less for 7
    > days. Most adult weight gain is caused by decreasing physical activity due to changes in lifestyle
    > (cars, work, etc.) and better nutrition (e.g. more money = more meals out, etc.); resulting in a
    > few extra kcals each day for years.
    >
    > 2LAP

    I was just wondering, how much more does muscle weigh than fat?. The reason I ask is I'm a bit
    overweight and I was wondering how much of that could be due to muscle on my legs due to all
    my cycling.

  15. Maf

    Maf Guest

    Roughly, the density of body fat is 0.92 and the density of muscle is 1.06. A value of 1.0 is the
    density of water so fat floats and muscle sinks.

    Mike

    "Graham" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > 2LAP <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Dennis
    > >
    > > Check out this link it gives some information about getting a coach in the UK
    > > http://www.cyclingforums.com/t27816.html.
    > >
    > > Every pound of body fat is 3500 kcal so if you use 3500 kcal than you eat you will lose a pound
    > > of fat. This can be acheived by eatting 100 kcal less each day for 35 days or 500 kcal less for
    > > 7 days. Most adult weight gain is caused by decreasing physical activity due to changes in
    > > lifestyle (cars, work, etc.) and better nutrition (e.g. more money = more meals out, etc.);
    > > resulting in a few extra kcals each day for years.
    > >
    > > 2LAP
    >
    > I was just wondering, how much more does muscle weigh than fat?. The reason I ask is I'm a bit
    > overweight and I was wondering how much of that could be due to muscle on my legs due to all my
    > cycling.

  16. Iarocu

    Iarocu Guest

    "Denis O'Keeffe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    >> After a period off the bike I have returned only to find that my
    fitness
    > level has plummeted

    snip
    > 1. To lose about a stone
    > 2. To get fit for endurance cycling
    >
    >Hi
    I returned to running and cycling about 3 years ago after a few years of inactivity. I found it
    very hard getting started again but keep at it. The older you get the longer it takes to regain
    fitness. I lost about a stone without changing my diet at all or making any effort to reduce my
    intake. Give it a few months back on the bike and see what happens before worrying about weight.
    Keep a diary, and keep at it cheers Iain

  17. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    On 15 Jun 2003 20:29:47 GMT, [email protected] (wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX) wrote:

    >>Or, Helen, eat a bit less of everthing.
    >
    >True - but I find to eat a bit less of everything, it helps if I keep a diary of everything I eat
    >and weigh the stuff I eat too. For me it's a discipline I get into that helps me stay on the
    >calorie reduction regime.

    Nothing so complex is needed, Helen. Just eat 10 potatoes instead of 15 - YSpudIntakeMMV.

    James