Getting fitted was very quick!

markwill

Jul 11, 2004
I am a newbie to road bikes (just bought a Giant OCR-1 on Sunday). Based on various comments (including from friends related to a specific store) I ended up buying from Performance Bikes. The overall transaction was pleasant but I have a question about choosing the right size bike. In short, it all seemed a lot more simple than I anticipated...

Basically, the sales person looked up my height (5'7") on a chart and found that should using be a Medium frame. Then he adjusted the height so that I could just touch the floor when sat on the bike and finally dipped the nose of the seat a fraction.

That was it! I read messages here about people who are going to the store to get the bike "fitted" which makes it sounds like a complex operation :) Frankly, the bike seems pretty comfortable (apart from expected initial riding pains with my neck and butt) but I don't really know what to expect.

Thoughts?

Mark

Well, if that's really all he did, then you didn't have a proper fitting. Typical things checked during a fit include: saddle height, tilt and fore/aft position; cleat position (if riding clipless); stem height/length; and handlebar position. So, now you have a choice. You can try riding with what he did and see if you develop any minor pain (besides the usual neck/butt pain a new rider experiences) within the next few rides, or go back promptly and tell the manager you don't feel you received a proper fitting...