Getting From Heathrow to Stansted with bicycle

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides' started by Colin B., Aug 8, 2004.

  1. Colin B.

    Colin B. Guest

    Hi,

    We will be travelling into Heathrow and need to get from Heathrow
    Airport to Stansted Airport with our bicycles (in the middle of a
    weekday) to get to the start of a bike tour. What is the easiest way
    to do this using bus, train or public transit etc.?

    Thanks,

    Colin

    "The bicycle is the most civilized conveyance known to man. Other
    forms of
    transport grow daily more nightmarish. Only the bicycle remains pure
    in
    heart." - Iris Murdoch, writer (1919-1999)

    Tags:

  2. "Colin B." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<%[email protected]>...
    > Hi,
    >
    > We will be travelling into Heathrow and need to get from Heathrow
    > Airport to Stansted Airport with our bicycles (in the middle of a
    > weekday) to get to the start of a bike tour. What is the easiest way
    > to do this using bus, train or public transit etc.?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Colin

    Hi Colin,

    I believe the only direct way to Sansted from Heathrow is on the
    National Express Bus. It will set you back about 15-17 pounds each.
    Ouch! We recently did the transfer from Heathrow to Gatwick. There you
    have the option of Train-Tube-Train or the Bus. The bus is the more
    direct option with less schleping involved. The signage is really bad
    at Heathrow to find the bus, so you should just ask at the information
    counter.

    Best,
    Sarah

  3. Colin B. wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >We will be travelling into Heathrow and need to get from Heathrow
    >Airport to Stansted Airport with our bicycles (in the middle of a
    >weekday) to get to the start of a bike tour. What is the easiest way
    >to do this using bus, train or public transit etc.?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >Colin

    Do a search for Stansted here:
    http://www.bikeaccess.net/BikeAccess/SelectArea_db.cfm?Q=Airport&Area=UK

    --
    *****************************
    Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO

  4. If you're thinking of using the bikes as part of the solution then take
    Heathrow Express (expensive) to Paddington. To save money cycle from the
    airport to either Feltham (if you arrive at T4) or Hayes (any other
    terminal), take the train into London (Waterloo or Paddington) cycle across
    London to Liverpool Street and then take the train out to Stansted.

    There are restrictions about when you can take bikes on trains so check out
    www.nationalrail.co.uk/frameset.asp?location=tocs and look for First Great
    Western Link (Hayes/Paddington), Heathrow Express, Southwest Trains
    (Feltham/Waterloo) and "One" (Stansted).

    You can't use the Piccadilly Line of the underground with a bicycle to get
    into London.

    If you take the coach (bus) check about the bikes, I simply don't know if
    they'd accept them. Might be advisable to leave them in bike bags if they
    will accept them.

    I guess the other option would be to hire a car. It's about 60 miles,
    nearly all motorway (freeway) but it's very busy but that's going to depend
    on how big the bikes are and how many and....
    --
    *****
    *****The "return to" address embedded in this mail is wrong as an antispam