Getting hit by a car, is it a matter of time?

Discussion in 'Commuting and Road Safety' started by Guest, Apr 9, 2002.

1. CHAZMO

CHAZMO New Member

2. Bug Smasher

Bug Smasher New Member

If I recall, it was somewhere between King St. and the Eaton's Centre.

3. Memphmann

Memphmann New Member

So the flat section, yet where the traffic is heavy. Have Queen St that runs along Eaton Centre and is so busy. Lucky you survived your accident.

Once a week, I like to ride Bathurst to Queen to Yonge, back to Major Mac. Like fighting the drivers as I follow the rules of the road. Been in many a fight or demaging of vehicles....

Memph

4. bikenbernie

bikenbernie New Member

I was hit by a car at an intersection in Putnam, CT when I was 14. The woman driver apologized for running the red light. I hit the drivers rear quarter panel and launched over the trunk and landed on pavement cut and bruised.. re-trued front tire and pedaled home, quite shaken.
    I was hit a second time when I was 37. Partly my fault for riding on wrong side of road, partly the woman driver's fault for not looking where she was going. She pulled out and brushed my rear wheel with the front bumper and bent my rim. My 10 year old son was pedalling his bike behind me at the time, but he hit his brakes and avoided collision. I opened the rear brake calipers and watched the woman drive away!!....totally oblivious.....or totally in shock, nonetheless I spotted her vehicle make a turn and decided to chase after her.....son on single speed BMX bike tried to keep up. Adrenaline was flowing. Followed her to her home, knocked on the door......"oohhhh did I do that?" I got an apology, she paid for a new wheel, and son experienced new level of riding, trying to keep up!
    The point is, we all make mistakes and errors of judgment.....both as a motorist and/or biker. I've riden many miles, did a solo cross US ride, respect motorists and for the most part you get the same treatment. Be defensive and anticipate the motorists mistakes. I'm 45 now and ride most every day, weather and season permitting. Be SAFE.....and if you look for trouble.....you'll find it!

5. franklen

franklen New Member

No offense meant, I don't follow the rules 100% of the time either. But I'd say it was all your fault if you were riding on the wrong side of the road. We need to take responsibility for ourselves, that includes following the rules. Otherwise face the consequences.

6. orfeo

orfeo New Member

my closest experience to getting hit by a car was on oxford st sydney in traffic where i was going down oxford st and a guy was pulling out of a side street, i passed in front of him and he was looking upstream of traffic and he did the thing where you see a gap and you go with out looking where your going, my rear wheel was folded about 30 degrees, small incident but like everyone says. the thing to learn is that a car driver will not see you so always allow for space and anticipate actions. I'm still a crazy rider though cause i hate losing speed which makes me cut things close sometimes :/

orfeo

7. Drock

Drock New Member

Hello Forum,

I am not sure if anyone has picked up on this stunt from radio stations in the US (Cleveland, Houston). They are advicating the running of cyclists off the road for fun. Read the attachment for further information and a web site to the parent communication company if you want your vioce(s) heard!!!!

Cheers,
    Rock
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/?id=2003/sep03/sep26news
    the acticle is on the bottom of the page

8. Memphmann

Memphmann New Member

They are lucky that the arseholes are not in my town. This makes me sick....

Memph

9. labicci

labicci New Member

I have been hit by cars three times, all from behind. The last time my computer recorded a maximum speed of 112.6kph and the fixing plate of my cleats bent severely when I was thrown off the bike. I perform a tuck and roll and suffer only minor bruises, but my carbon fork and carbon aero wheels were total loss.

In all of these instances I was just riding along at a steady pace and a steady line close to the road side, so I cannot understand why I am still being hit. The government here only remind cyclists to ride safely but never do anything to remind the drivers to care about the safety of cyclists.

I donot know whether the governments elsewhere are similar or not.

10. Memphmann

Memphmann New Member

Am shocked that you were hurt so very little. Good for you. Who paid for the repairs/replacements???

Memph

11. sp00k

sp00k New Member

i've been taken out a couple of times by cars and once by a roller blader coming at me on the wrong side of the road. in all instances i have been lucky to come away with bruises and scrapes and a month or so of physiotherapy.

I reckon most drivers have not ridden a bike since they were a kid, if at all
    because of this they have no idea of bike speeds, braking ability and space required on the road.

12. pedaler533930

pedaler533930 New Member

:cool:

13. lawrenpx

lawrenpx New Member

I was just hit by a car a week ago despite my extreme defensive riding- staying far away from a suspicious car. First time ever. Luckily I was not going too fast will he turned left, from a full stop, right into me. Fell mostly on my left shoulder. Luckily nothing broken, just a Class 2 injury to my AC joint. Doc said it should take 6-8 weeks to heal with no long term effects. Oh ya, I forgot to mention I also have a fractured rib. All hurts like a SOB. The codine was weird and now I'm on iboprophin- much better.

All this happened the day after I put in an order for a Seven Axion TI. Hoping I will be somewhat recovered when it arrives in 5 weeks. I am wondering what exercise I could be doing to stay in shape.

Stay safe and go out on your rides early, very early, before the idiots hit the road.

14. pedaler533930

pedaler533930 New Member

15. jacobxray

jacobxray New Member

keep trying pedaler533930, you'll work how top post soon. ;)

16. jacobxray

jacobxray New Member

and i'll work out how to type............

17. ikayak

ikayak New Member

My son and I were riding yesterday in a 3/4 lane blocked out and BOLDLY marked for bicycles in Richland WA. We were given lots of dirty looks, honks and people following on our tails for taking up OUR LANE because the drivers wanted to use it as a right hand turn lane to get out of the traffic. I rode the side closest to traffic and after being hit 31 years ago I would think nothing of pulling the offending driver through his side window to show him the bike lane. (am I still pissed off and bitter -- yes because I still have pain every day)

18. rlroadie

rlroadie New Member

From the "For what it's Worth" news desk...

This just in from a friend of mine who lives in Tucsan, AZ and who's son, Phil Zajicek, rode for Team Saturn this past year. Since Saturn will not be sponsering a team next year, Phil is considering a contract with either Navigator's, HealthNet or Colavita-Bolla for th upcoming year....

Mark also let me know, when I mentioned the post about the broadcasts by the DJ's on Clear Channel, that they had broadcast the program out there as well, and the local paper had had an article about it in the paper since Tucsan has a large cycling community.

The following is his email to me about an incident that happened to him today...

"....Interesting road rage incident this a.m. (today) on a ride with Phil and another rider - guy is now facing felony assault and hit and run charges. In our incident this a.m., the driver tried to swerve into the bike lane, then when we went left, he proceeded to follow us into traffic, barely missing me, then back into the bike lane and slammed on his brakes, almost grinding Phil into guard rail. My reflexes didn't stop in time as I was right behind him and I did a 8mph superman onto his trunk and header into the rear of his car. Our 3rd rider ran interference, as the guy tried to get out of the car to peel me off his trunk and then tried to open a serious can of 'wuup ass' (his exact words) on me. He then decided to peel out instead of stick around, as 4 different cars were calling 911. I ended up with quad bruises, stiff neck and lower back pain - luckily my Fasso Bortolo kit was unscathed! Witnesses say the guy had " Total Intent " to do damage...

No telling what far reaching reperccusions this broadcast will have across the country or for how long it will last...hopefully this doesn't mean it will be "Open Season" on cyclists...everyone needs to be aware of this and be on the lookout for each other while out riding...

rlroadie

19. Memphmann

Memphmann New Member

I would feel no remorse, like stepping on a bug, for actually killing one of these drivers. I try to do as much damage to these ppl's cars as possible. Carry rocks to throw. If stopped at red light. Use handle of knife to try to crack window. Anything to teach lesson....

Memph

20. physicalforte

physicalforte New Member

(/Quote)What sucks, is that the government spend a lot of money on advertising cycling, and exercise for the public, but they don't want to build the cycle paths for the public in the suburban areas. (Not in the city centre).

That is the biggest thing stopping more people from taking up cycling as a form of transport. [/QUOTE]

I'm new to this forum, I have joined up because I'm migrating next week from Belgium to Sydney and want to find out about cycling.

I don't agree that cycle paths are the answer to bike accidents. I started cycling when I started high school and here in Belgium have seen the rise of cycle paths. Most of them here are built away from the road, usually with a parking lane inbetween and some trees. What this creates is cyclists who can't deal with confrontation when they come in contact with other traffic (i.e. at crossings). Car drivers who can't deal with contact at crossings (what we see here alot, even with the cycle paths, is car's hitting cyclist when turning into a street) or car drivers who absolutely don't give a damn about cyclists on the road.
    I prefer riding the bare street, no cycling lanes, bikes in traffic with cars, that way at least cars HAVE TO take notice of you, slow down, and move to avoid you.

PS: in almost 20y cycling I've been hit 2x. Each time I was on a cycle path AND ON THEM I HAVE ABSOLUTE RIGHT OF WAY.

Wayne
    Belgium/soon to be Sydney