Getting hit by a car, is it a matter of time?

Originally posted by Guest
Hi.

For people who frequently ride on road.. is it only a matter of time before you get hit?

I'm always thinking about it when I'm on the road, and just pray it never happens to me.. had a close call the other day.

Who here frequently rides on the road and has never been hit, and who has been hit.

Share your stories please.

Never had a problem riding on the road/street.

Just remember not to ride TOO far to the right... stay a car door's distance away from the parking lane. Other than that, just follow the same rules as any other vehicle.

I have been hopitalised at least 4 times from accidents while riding. Twice a car has driven into me from behind while I was wearing fluorescent clothes - easy to see. Once was on a bike path where 2 riders came around a blind bend in the river bank and I had literally nowhere to go. The other time I was dehydrated and in a hurry and just not with it. I ran into a parked car! Can't blame anyone for that.

I only read the first page of posts for this thread and my suggestion would be, if it has not been said already, is use the "See and be seen" rule. Just make eye contact with drivers that have even the slightest potential to hit you. Some people give me the evil eye while I am riding my bike. I would say getting the evil eye from someone is better than getting hit by them.

I ride to and from London in the UK everyday and so far have had a couple of close calls but nothing serious - thankfully. My question is what is a reasonable show of annoyance to somebody in a car who pulls out in front of you without looking? Obviously violence for violence sake isnt really a viable option but bearing in mind they're playing with you life you have the right to be just a bit ticked off dontcha?

In my experience there are only a handful of drivers that drive without checking their mirrors these being Mercedes drivers, stupid morons in offroaders (what the hell is an offroader doing in town??!!), Buses and black cabs.

Mainly I guess you have to ride being aware of everyone else on the road and what they're doin aswell as taking precautions way ahead of time and always having an "escape route" where possible.

My 2p's worth

Gats;)

Originally posted by EarthJin
I only read the first page of posts for this thread and my suggestion would be, if it has not been said already, is use the "See and be seen" rule. Just make eye contact with drivers that have even the slightest potential to hit you. Some people give me the evil eye while I am riding my bike. I would say getting the evil eye from someone is better than getting hit by them.

What happens if you make eye contact and they still hit you. Like happened to me a few weeks ago????

Memph

I was hit 6 weeks ago. That's the first time in over 16,000 kilometers, (10,000 miles) and over 3 years of riding on the road. I've had a number of close calls and I'm always prepared for drivers to look through me. You're almost invisible out there because motorists are looking for cars and trucks. If they don't see one, the road is clear. The driver who hit me never saw me. I did see them. I was prepared, to a degree, for them to pull right out in front of me and was already feathering the brakes at the point where it became obvious they weren't going to yield. Unfortunately, you can only be so prepared. You can't stop everytime you see a motorist who might fail to see you and give you the right of way.
My bike was seriously damaged and is still in the shop. My wheels, a set of Mavic Ksyrium Elites, (only 60-80 miles old) were destroyed. My carbon/carbon fork snapped like a dry twig, my crankset was destroyed and the frame bent.
It could have been worse. I received a slight scrape on my ankle from the rear wheel of the pickup truck. Had I not started slowing when I first saw the vehicle, things could have been much worse.
This driver was insured but my bike frame hadn't been manufactured for 2-years. I finally found one after weeks of searching the internet and then a second so that I can actually ride without fearing the permanent loss of my GT ZR-1.0. I'm on a Fuji for the time being and will likely ride it when going through heavy traffic. The GT will be used for rides out on the long stretch of highways.
I'm afraid it is only a matter of time for each of us.

Same Roads
Same Rules
Same Rights

Hi.

For people who frequently ride on road.. is it only a matter of time before you get hit?

Riding on the road is great fun and can be safer than driving in a car.

I have not been hit since I was fourteen years old and that was my fault. I ride about 100 miles a week year-round, especially since I sold my car about two years ago, so I ride a lot.

I really believe the people to watch out for are the ones who are not paying attention (rather than to worry about the aggro drivers) - the only way to ride around these people is to aggressively take the lane, be visible and be prepared for motorist stupidity. I will get in line behind a queue of cars instead of riding up to the intersection and I will not pass a car on the right unless I have an escape route. If someone honks I will not get out of the way because I am where I need to be for my safety.

The people I know who have been hit are people who were far enough over to the right that the car thought they could squeeze by in the same lane. They won't do that if you ride in the middle of the lane. They will get into the other lane to pass which is what they should be doing anyway.

The other people i know who have been hit have had cars pull in front going either left or right.

Here, a bit of mountain biking technique comes in handy. If you don't want to hit something - don't look at it! What I mean is - if the car pulls in front of you, if you stare at it and try to brake, chances are you will hit to car.Your bike will go where you are looking - so don't look at the car. look for an escape route instead. What you need to do is look away from the car preferably behind it if it is turning left in front of you - and turn the bike parallel to the car - that's how I narrowly avoided hitting this idiot who was coming off the freeway at a t-intersection - I anticipated that he might be so stupid, so I kept pedaling (don't coast - they think you are stopping) but started braking to scrub speed - he pulled out just as I thought he would, I kep braking but looked away from the car up the off-ramp and as soon as I got to where I would need to turn i stopped braking and turned up this narrow spit of road - about a foot wide so I ended up behind this guy - (he had seen me and was stopped like a deer in the headlights directly in my path) there was no way in the world i was going to ride in front of him because I could just see him start up as soon as i did so.

So you can do a lot to avoid collisions - bikes are much more flexible and agile than cars.

Dani

I can't see how bikepaths can be dangerous?

Unless we are speaking of some other form of bikepath.

The bikepaths I speak of, are paths which are completely set aside from roads and used for the sole purpose of either pedestrians walking or cyclists cycling. And the odd rollerblader too.

How anyone could manage to die on one of these paths I'm not sure?

I also agree that normal roads with proper bike lanes are a great and viable alternative as well.

Well, here in Seattle we have a heavily traveled bike path called the Burke-Gilman Trail-a Rails to Trails Project traveled by thousands every day, I guess. I've broken bones on it twice, once due to braking hard for a dimwitted skater who couldn't decide on which side of the path to travel. Low speed, but I went over the bars and broke my arm. I guess it was due in large part to overly agressive front wheel braking. The second injury was due to the fact that in many places the trail is crossed by streets. Vehicle operators are prone to taking their "free right" at a stop sign or red light and are looking out for other vehicles, not bikes in the cross walk. That is just what happened as I cruised through a crosswalk on a pedestrian "walk" sign and slammed into a tow truck, whose operator had made the aforementioned free right and probably never saw me till I kissed his driver's side window. I broke my collar bone, and it still hurts after more than 18 mos. Now I find I feel much safer on the road for 2 reasons: (1) When you are going the same direction as the cars, through the same lights, etc. they are more likely to see you, and I must say, for the most part are considerate, some even to the point of being exasperating (just PASS me for crying out loud!) Furthermore, any time a path is crossed by traffic, it is more dangerous than being in a street intersection. (2) a pedestrian/bike path (very few bike-only paths in this country I think) has way too many users who have little or no awareness of each other, for example, the walkers who walk five abreast, and despite the fact that there are bikes going both ways, keep regrouping in that pattern, or the joggers/skaters/walkers who not only have their walkman on so they can't hear you, will change direction, or cross the path *****-nilly, without first looking over their shoulder! Do you know how many feet/second one is traveling at only 15 miles an hr? (I calculate 22!)

In short, bicycling is dangerous. The faster you go, the more dangerous it is. Nothing is inevitable and if you pay attention as if your life, or a least your skeletal integrity, depended on it, it is less likely that you will encounter a vehicle in a painful way. After all, there are many vehicle drivers out there who have logged perhaps a hundred thousand hours behind the wheel of a car without a single crash. But the big difference is that you don't have the full metal jacket, air bags and bumper to protect you on that 18 lb bicycle!

I think about dying on my bike almost every time I go riding, and it is a great thing to know that I am conciously deciding to risk it anyway, for the incomparable pleasure of using only my muscles and the most elegant machine on the planet (bicycles in general, not my specific bike) to speed to anywhere, nowhere.

Originally posted by mark taylor
Well, here in Seattle we have a heavily traveled bike path called the Burke-Gilman Trail-a Rails to Trails Project traveled by thousands every day, I guess. I've broken bones on it twice, once due to braking hard for a dimwitted skater who couldn't decide on which side of the path to travel. Low speed, but I went over the bars and broke my arm. I guess it was due in large part to overly agressive front wheel braking. The second injury was due to the fact that in many places the trail is crossed by streets. Vehicle operators are prone to taking their "free right" at a stop sign or red light and are looking out for other vehicles, not bikes in the cross walk. That is just what happened as I cruised through a crosswalk on a pedestrian "walk" sign and slammed into a tow truck, whose operator had made the aforementioned free right and probably never saw me till I kissed his driver's side window. I broke my collar bone, and it still hurts after more than 18 mos. Now I find I feel much safer on the road for 2 reasons: (1) When you are going the same direction as the cars, through the same lights, etc. they are more likely to see you, and I must say, for the most part are considerate, some even to the point of being exasperating (just PASS me for crying out loud!) Furthermore, any time a path is crossed by traffic, it is more dangerous than being in a street intersection. (2) a pedestrian/bike path (very few bike-only paths in this country I think) has way too many users who have little or no awareness of each other, for example, the walkers who walk five abreast, and despite the fact that there are bikes going both ways, keep regrouping in that pattern, or the joggers/skaters/walkers who not only have their walkman on so they can't hear you, will change direction, or cross the path *****-nilly, without first looking over their shoulder! Do you know how many feet/second one is traveling at only 15 miles an hr? (I calculate 22!)

In short, bicycling is dangerous. The faster you go, the more dangerous it is. Nothing is inevitable and if you pay attention as if your life, or a least your skeletal integrity, depended on it, it is less likely that you will encounter a vehicle in a painful way. After all, there are many vehicle drivers out there who have logged perhaps a hundred thousand hours behind the wheel of a car without a single crash. But the big difference is that you don't have the full metal jacket, air bags and bumper to protect you on that 18 lb bicycle!

I think about dying on my bike almost every time I go riding, and it is a great thing to know that I am conciously deciding to risk it anyway, for the incomparable pleasure of using only my muscles and the most elegant machine on the planet (bicycles in general, not my specific bike) to speed to anywhere, nowhere.

You were nice, I would have rode right into skater. Then gotten up and beaten the the tar out of them. That driver would have been sued.

I never use a bike path. Travel too fast for the average cyclists. Do not want to worry about bad cycling skills from the riders who use these paths. Prefer to worry about cars on the road...

Memph

Originally posted by Memphmann
You were nice, I would have rode right into skater. Then gotten up and beaten the the tar out of them. That driver would have been sued.

I never use a bike path. Travel too fast for the average cyclists. Do not want to worry about bad cycling skills from the riders who use these paths. Prefer to worry about cars on the road...

Memph

I assume you mean that you want to ride faster than you are able to on a bike path. I agree. Even when you are doing the recommended "speed limit" on a bike path, it is too fast for the pedestrians, too slow for the enjoyment of the cyclist. By the way, I do intend to sue the tow truck driver after I am done with physical therapy.

Mark

Originally posted by mark taylor
I assume you mean that you want to ride faster than you are able to on a bike path. I agree. Even when you are doing the recommended "speed limit" on a bike path, it is too fast for the pedestrians, too slow for the enjoyment of the cyclist. By the way, I do intend to sue the tow truck driver after I am done with physical therapy.

Mark

Yes, that is exactly what I meant. We travel to fast for bike paths, yet too slow for car traffic. What are we to do? Sometimes I feel like there is a "bullseye" on my back....

Memph

What sucks, is that the government spend a lot of money on advertising cycling, and exercise for the public, but they don't want to build the cycle paths for the public in the suburban areas. (Not in the city centre).

I think that while it benefits everyone to have folks get out of their cars and on to their bikes, it is a hard sell to build dedicated bike paths. Whereas in most places, road building and maintenance is funded directly by the user via gas taxes, how would you do that with a bike path? My idea is that every bike, bike part and bike accessory should have a smal tax on it (5%?) which would go to the construction and maintenance of bike paths. Of course their would be no way to get the walkers/skaters to pay for OUR paths, but maybe we could keep em off of it? Hmmm, I think that is the way a lot of motorists feel about the roads their tax dollars paid for through their gas taxes. I say this as an avid road rider, preferring to dodge the cars than the blythely unconcious pedestrians on the bike paths.

Practise defensive riding attentively.

Mark

Hi.

I'm always thinking about it when I'm on the road, and just pray it never happens to me.. had a close call the other day.

Who here frequently rides on the road and has never been hit, and who has been hit.

Share your stories please.
I ride 8 to 10 thousand miles per year on busy narrow roads in the Boston area. I was hit once, in Virginia in 1984, from behind which is very rare.
Follow the proper riding techniques in "Street Smarts" by John Allen and riding can be safe.

Don't statistics support the concept that bike paths are more dangerous than roads? Here in Ohio you're fighting for space with horses, pedestrians, weaving 5 yr olds, skateboarders and 25 mph pacelines, all on a narrow strip of pavement....
SMM

Originally posted by stevenaleach
Never had a problem riding on the road/street.

Just remember not to ride TOO far to the right... stay a car door's distance away from the parking lane. Other than that, just follow the same rules as any other vehicle.

This is so true. Not only is the "car door" rule an issue, but staying not TOO far to the right gives you some safety space to the right if you need to use it. Further, riding not TOO far to the right can force cars to "break the plane" to pass you. To me, it's almost seems as though there is a plane of glass that goes up along the left lane line. If a motorist can squeeze by you without leaving the lane, they'll do it every time. If you are so far into the lane as to force them to "break the plane" then they will usually leave the lane and give you enough room....

Steve Magas
[email protected]
"Fighting for the rights of cyclists..."

I live in a college town. As such, we are fortunate to have more cycles per capita than average. Plus, we are blessed with an abundance of bike lanes along the roads.

However, when I leave town and drive in the country, I see cyclist riding on roads where they have no business. A two-lane road where the posted speed is 55 MPH and no shoulder to speak of is NOT the place for an 18-pound bike traveling at 20 MPH. It is arrogant to think that just because you CAN ride your bike on a given road means you SHOULD. A fair amount of common sense would point that front wheel on a road less traveled, making for a less stressful, safer and successful ride.

True is the fact that many automobile drivers face cycles with ignorance and contempt. That will not change. That is reality and unless you are willing to face the level of danger that implies, you would be better suited at a gym taking advantage of an exercise bike. The lycra-clad beauties at the gym present a nice view, but I prefer changing scenery and abundance of road-kill in its various stages of decomposition.

Originally posted by photovirginia
.... It is arrogant to think that just because you CAN ride your bike on a given road means you SHOULD.....

Country roads present some of the best cycling, and for true "transporation cyclists" may offer the only way from Point A to Point B. Everybody has a different "comfort-ometer" that tells them when they're on a roadway that is perceived to be too difficult or dangerous. However, only by educating the public as to our rights, and showing them that we will use the rights, will be keep the right to ride on the roadway... there is enough of a "no bike" mentality already in place in the road contruction industry, motorists, etc... bikes and cars can co-exist, even on 2 lane 55 mph roads, but, like any relationship involving two people, it takes effort, work and skill.....

Steve Magas

Been hit only once in 33 years and untold miles. I was headed down 45th St toward the freeway (I-5) in Seattle just past ****'s Drive-in, when a motorist passed me and immediately took a right turn into a Winchell's Donut (we're talking 1972, don't even know if it's still there). I had no time to stop, so I rode his hood into the parking lot. I was riding a 1971 Motobecane Mirage wiith toe-clips, and the bike dangled from my right foot until we stopped. No serious injuries, although my whole body ached the next day, and I had the imprint of the pedal on my calf for years, but it is no longer visible. The motorist was white as a ghost, wearing a pin-striped suit, driving his Ford Ltd, apologized all over himself - his voice quivering. I shouted at him, but then took pity! He said he never saw me!

Cheers,

Rousslang

Been hit only once in 33 years and untold miles. I was headed down 45th St toward the freeway (I-5) in Seattle just past ****'s Drive-in, when a motorist passed me and immediately took a right turn into a Winchell's Donut (we're talking 1972, don't even know if it's still there). I had no time to stop, so I rode his hood into the parking lot. I was riding a 1971 Motobecane Mirage wiith toe-clips, and the bike dangled from my right foot until we stopped. No serious injuries, although my whole body ached the next day, and I had the imprint of the pedal on my calf for years, but it is no longer visible. The motorist was white as a ghost, wearing a pin-striped suit, driving his Ford Ltd, apologized all over himself - his voice quivering. I shouted at him, but then took pity! He said he never saw me!

I still fear stalkers who "buzzz" with their side-view mirrors.

Cheers,

Rousslang

Attention Phoenix, Arizona cyclists - beware of "Back-whacker"!
My "comfort-ometer" got recalibrated last Wednesday. I was riding in a bike lane along a 45-mph road in rush hour traffic (commuting by bike) when I got "whacked" across the back by something. I didn't lose consciousness or fall off the back, just an overwhelming pain that made me stop and look around to see what had hit me. I couldn't see anything, and at that point figured I'd just been hit by something from the car that had just passed. They left an abrasion on my back about 4" long, and I felt some pain for a couple of days. I went to my LBS the next day and bought a mirror, and I'll change my commute route so that I'm not competing with traffic with such a large speed differential. I hate to give up roads that I have a right to ride on, but I have to consider my wife and children and do everything I can not to leave them with a large inheritance . . . :rolleyes:
By the way, I've been riding for 30 years and average about 60 miles a week for the last few years and was wearing an obnoxiously bright shirt (crossing guard type) - maybe it was too tempting a target?