Getting hit by a car, is it a matter of time?

Originally posted by Susan Repp
It appears to me that people just don't "like" us pesky cyclists and don't believe we even "belong" on the roads FULL STOP! It means they have to pay attention, get off their cell phones, stop beating their wild ones in the rear of their "Explorers" (the only exploring they have ever done is in the parking lot of Walmart" and have to deal with obstacles in their way between A & B. I had the same treatment when I drove a little Mazda Miata - you'd think I was a bug or a hood ornament. Vehicles in the hands of the wrong driver can and will be used as a lethal weapon!!!

Beastt .. your a policeman (I presume) .. has a cyclist ever been given a ticket for speeding?

Fortunately, your presumption is incorrect but I can see where the idea came from. No, I work within the walls of the department but I'm not an officer. I can't recall a specific incident wherein a cyclist was cited for speeding but I can recall a few times when they've been cited for other things. That includes the cyclist who ran into the tailgate of a parked pickup. (Coming home from the bar in a state of intoxication and pedaling for all he was worth with his head down, in the dark, with no light.) He was cited for criminal damage since there was considerable damage to the pickup. The rider ended up a quadraplegic and died several years later.

I know that sometimes cyclists are cited for speed but I'm not familiar with any specific incidents involving my department.

You think my presumption is "incorrect"? How come - people seem to get a lot of flack from motorists and cities seem reluctant to do much for promoting cycling. If you want to get anywhere it appears "the car" is the mode of transportation. I do understand that there are rotten cyclist that give the good ones a bad name. I guess in my first year of cycling, getting driven off the road and injured makes me believe that I have to be extra careful and take the approach that the drivers might not be "biker friendly" .. so beware!

Originally posted by Susan Repp
You think my presumption is "incorrect"? How come - people seem to get a lot of flack from motorists and cities seem reluctant to do much for promoting cycling. If you want to get anywhere it appears "the car" is the mode of transportation. I do understand that there are rotten cyclist that give the good ones a bad name. I guess in my first year of cycling, getting driven off the road and injured makes me believe that I have to be extra careful and take the approach that the drivers might not be "biker friendly" .. so beware!

Whoa! No, sorry! I meant your presumption about me being a police officer. I'm not. Sorry. I should have been more clear.

:)

As far as cyclists being treated as second-class citizens, (or worse), I absolutely agree. And you're right about the rotten cyclists too. They do give all of us a bad name but as much as some motorists understand that one bad motorist doesn't make them all bad, often that same understanding isn't extended to cyclists.

It is too bad that so many motorists seem to see cyclists as some kind of moving video game where the object is to do anything obnoxious and often dangerous to get the most points. Certainly we could get a bit more respect from the average motorist if we got a lot more respect from city planners. A group was recently formed in the city where I live to try to work with city planners to obtain bike lanes, bike routes, signs, etc. So far the city officials have talked a good game. It's too soon to know for sure but I'm not holding my breath. It's all about money. Anything they spend on cyclists is going to be a sore point with anyone who doesn't ride and doesn't care about those who do.

"Progressive" is hardly a word that could be used to describe the mindset of the governing officials. Heck, I work for the city, in a nice new building with lots of unused space. Do you think they'd let me park my bike in an unused office or corner of a back room somewhere? Nope! While some places actually provide incentives to employees to utilize more environmental friendly modes of transportation, the city I work for has seen fit to post a "no bicycles in the building" policy. I'm told that I'm welcome to park it outside in the rack with all the discarded, junked Huffy's that end up abandoned around the city. No way that's ever going to happen. My bikes live indoors at home and I'm not leaving them outside in the weather and who knows what, at work.

Anyway, that does seem to be the mindset. I agree with you whole-heartedly.

Alright here's the deal why us car drivers have problems with cyclists in general....Now I'm not saying any of you would do this, but these comments are all based on my personal experience. The one thing that makes me incredibly mad is the fact that some of you have the audacity to ride on a HIGHWAY where the speed limit is 55 or even greater?! I have seen this several times, and on every occasion there was a sidewalk not 10 feet from these assholes! I call these people assholes because they are not only risking their lives, but also everyone else on the road who has to avoid them. Im sorry, but percentage wise cars DO in-fact, own the road. I know legally you have as many rights as I do, but most of road cyclists I've seen are either completely oblivious to or just don't care about common courtesy. I'm sorry but if I'm in my car I don't want to sit behind you going 15 when the speed limit is 35!! Now road cyclists have to obey all laws that cars are given, correct? Well one day on my way to the gym I was at a red light getting ready to make my right turn, as I start to go, some douchebag on his super ultimate million dollar bike decides to sneak up on my right side and go across the street in front of me. So I have to slam on my brakes so as not to kill the idiot and he has the balls to stare at me like I'm in the wrong! I viewed a post a little far back about how much your bikes are worth, if they are so super why would you risk them doing stunts like these?! Im sorry but it's people like these examples that make me want to hold a bat out my window whenever I pass a biker so I wont have to worry about them in the future. And before you all start flaming me, please no "get out of your car fatass" comments because I am a very fit golden glove boxer, and I can guarantee that my car is worth more than your bike as well. I apologize if this doesnt pertain to you, but I'm trying to represent a car driver's perspective on this. There are asshole drivers, but you guys arent perfect either! One more thing, god help the person who throws a rock at my car 'cause I would find a way to shove that super bike up his ass!

Regards,
Bill

Heh, wait a minute .. I am a CAR owner also and have had my fair share of "silly ass cyclists" doing E K stunts! I see these kids on something that resembles a nail file with a hair dryer on the back .. I think the problem is the fact that drivers "don't think we should be on the roads"! Some people in cars/on bikes should be banned as well! Trouble is if someone in a car does something stupid the cyclist can end up losing a few limbs cos there is nothing to protect us. I know this cos the asshole that took me out never stopped, the person coming the other way stopped and took off and the driving who I tried to hitch a lift from cos my arm was hanging out of it's socket - gave me a wide birth cos they were maybe in too much of a hurry! S'cuse me woman; but, I have to get the decaf?!?!??!? I think everybody needs a reality check and realise that cars AND bikes have equal rights on the road and everybody needs common sense. The person who took me out probably had a bad run-in with someone; but, why take it out on the next cyclists minding his own p's & q's!?!?

Originally posted by CarsRCool
Alright here's the deal why us car drivers have problems with cyclists in general....(....snip)

Regards,
Bill

Certainly some of your points are valid, Bill, if not perhaps a bit more colorful than necessary. We all have to deal with idiots on the road from the people moving about oblivious to everything around them to the normally responsible individual who suffers a lapse in focus or responsibility. Don't forget that the vast majority of cyclists are motorists too.

As for your comments about riding on highways where the speed limit is 55 mph or greater, I do it all the time! I do everything I can to not hinder the progress of passing motorists but you seem to be under the impression that we shouldn't be anyplace where we can't maintain the speed limit. That's just not realistic and that is perhaps why we have the legal right to be there. My preferred highway happens to have a shoulder as wide as a full traffic lane with a rumble strip dividing it from the two lanes of traffic. I'm forever having to move across the rumble strip into the traffic lane to go around disabled cars parked on the shoulder. That's life. They have the right to park, (when disabled), I have the right to ride.

I've seen people wearing red do insane things on the road. I don't hold this against everyone wearing red. Carrying around a bag of anger toward everyone on a bike because a few have done dangerous or stupid things in your presence will do nothing to solve the matter. I've met a few people like you on the road. There is one guy who lives around here who rides around on a black Harley Davidson. Everytime I see the guy he's yelling over traffic, flipping me off and, in general, acting like a complete idiot. I have no clue who he is or why he's so angry at me. Most likely he had a run-in with a cyclist once and chooses to lump us all into one catagory so that he can express his anger toward people completely innocent of any wrong doing to him. That's where things like bigotry come from. You'd perhaps do better to handle your encounters with people on a case by case basis.

I hear you, but please note that I wouldn't actually do anything like take out a cyclist just becasue they're there. I do FEEL like it sometimes, but wouldn't actually go out on a "hunt" or anything. I haven't lumped all of you due to bad experiences, which is why I said "if this doesnt apply to you." I only yell at/flip off cyclists who pull something stupid and make me have to risk an accident by swerving/slamming on the brakes/etc. It's not cool that there are bike riders who would put themselves in so much danger (like getting into traffic on a highway) and if I were to hit them, I would be at fault! I can't even begin to think about what I'd do if I ever seriousley injured someone due to THEIR lack of awareness.

Im sorry but it's people like these examples that make me want to hold a bat out my window whenever I pass a biker so I wont have to worry about them in the future. One more thing, god help the person who throws a rock at my car 'cause I would find a way to shove that super bike up his ass!
Regards,
Bill

heya bill. wow struck a nerve there huh? personally I drive 50 miles a day in CAR . and then top it off with a ride of equal length on my bike. I can't commute to work because its not safe.
We mostly ride on 'side roads' where little or few cars go. Its just common sense.

My feeling is that some people make life choices to commute to work and to give up cars. I find this to be so noble and want to see it safer for them. SInce you workout you know that you didnt get golden gloves without putting in a lot of time. Biking is a commulative sport, like running or swimming or any other sport. It is a love of the sport that makes us risk our lives every time we go riding.
I am sure you can relate because one wrong hit and you can get knocked out and suffer damage as well.
We need roads ( preferrably the little used ones where a car is far and few) that give us lengths to ride so we can get our heart rates up. A typical workout lasts between 2-4 hours .

its not the biker or the car or the motorcycle or even the pedestrians....its just people. People in general are inpatient, inconsiderate and just plain idiotic. Yeah cyclists get hot headed too but try to imagine yourself while you are working out..now imagine your opponent trying to KILL you and yelling at you. You'd probably get that testosterone going and want to throw something at them.

I wonder the same thing about folks in their cars..If they pay 40 GRAND for a car...and drive it like they could care less if anyone hits them...its INSANE!
I was in a long long line of cars the other day and you know what the hold up was? A truck with HAY on it. we were only going 19 mph on a popular 2 lane road. NO one honked , no one got mad. It is just that I was in a pocket of people that DRive Sane.

This will amaze you. I ride my bike as many miles as I drive and I rarely get honked at (except for a compliment...haha)
BUT.... I have rarely ever had any reason to get mad at a car. I respect the rights I have by being considerate to others. I dont take risks and I ride where cars are not as frequent.
Lack of consideration is what makes us all upset. I have seen with my own eyes some near misses by total jerks ( both driving and riding..more when I DRIVE!@) but I have also seen some VERY nice people who do some angelic behavior , It goes the gamit from one extreme to the other.
We get mad at drivers to that go too slow. the problem is not the cyclist blocking YOU or slowing you down for 30 seconds of your commute...the problem is YOUR TEMPER and your own inability to have patience with others around you.
If you sincerely want to take a baseball bat to bikers or anyone else then you have some other more serious issues to deal with and some underlying deep seated anger that ...well .. t hey make medication for that.

ANYONE out there that tries to throw anything or purposely targets a group, be it cyclists or anyone else..Is demonstrating terrorist mentality.
think about it . count to ten. and let it GO.

That goes for all of you CHILDREN. LIVE and let FREAKING LIVE already.
now. everyone drink your milk, eat your cookies and drive /bike sensibly. I am sure people love you and want to see you get home safe.

I totally agree with you JuneBug. Maybe you missed my 2nd post, but again I will say I would never do something like that. I'm not some crazy asshole who would go on a vendetta every time I see a biker. In fact I would like to think of myself as a "good simaritan." I've pulled over to help people with broken down cars/tire changes/etc., and I would also pull over (believe it or not) if I saw a biker that had gotten hit or something like that. Im glad that there are riders like you to offset the majority that I have seen. Again, I'm not saying most of you! Only what I have experienced! I would like to see everyone be 100% safe doing whatever they do, but that's just not gonna happen. And I know if I was on a bike I would get outta the way every time a car came near me! And if I couldn't, well then I'd find another way to go! I'm sure as hell not gonna put up my 191 against a 3000+ lb vehicle! And on the impatience thing...would it kill ya to get on the grass or shoulder for 2 seconds so I can pass? :)

And on the impatience thing...would it kill ya to get on the grass or shoulder for 2 seconds so I can pass? :)

sure just don't force me!! LOL

I always look back at the car behind me at an intersection to see if they are turning right. then I can get over to let them (if I'm waiting to turn left) some dont signal. !!! gah!!

You would never see me anyway. I ride the backroads. ;)

But I think its the same thing if you drive, if you see someone doing something crazy or wreckless. then they probably ARE crazy and wreckless and you just want to count to ten and let them go.

Most people are nice and are careful drivers. but you see enough of the insanity while you drive. Like tailgating just baffles me to no end.....((oh man I can go on.!!)) its a wonder they 'let us' have cars and roads to drive on, let alone RIDE!!!!
I wish a trend would start where folks would just start being more and more considerate of others .
We really COULD make it happen.

a revol U shun!!!

Originally posted by JuneBug
sure just don't force me!! LOL

(snip...)

I wish a trend would start where folks would just start being more and more considerate of others .

We really COULD make it happen.

a revol U shun!!!

A wonderful thought but I find it unlikely while the buzz words of the day that seem to put politicians in office are "zero tolerance". Seems to me this country, (speaking of the U.S.), was founded on tolerance -- tolerance of others, tolerance of other's ideas. Seems to have gone out of vogue.

:(

Originally posted by Beastt
A wonderful thought but I find it unlikely while the buzz words of the day that seem to put politicians in office are "zero tolerance". Seems to me this country, (speaking of the U.S.), was founded on tolerance -- tolerance of others, tolerance of others ideas. Seems to have gone out of vogue.

:(

I was raised on Chip and Dale cartoons
"after you,"
"no after you,"
"no after you I insist,"
"oh no no no after YOU *I* insist....."

then they bump into each other and see stars. OUCH!!!!!

oh ok I prefer chip and dale MODELS. (woohoo)

There's a major difference in outlook here. As a motorist, you look out your windscreen and see a cyclist. You think, "Right, better try and get round him safely. If he does something dangerous he might get hurt and probably damage my car."

If you're the cyclist you think, "There's a car. I hope he drives carefully otherwise I might die."

That's why we get ****** off at motorists. The fear. When I'm driving I get a shock when something crazy happens with pedestrians or cyclists out there. But I get over it and think, "Well there are dumasses out there who might get themselves killed one day." But when I go out for a ride and am narrowly avoided by a speeding BMW, the thought going through my head is, "There are dumasses out there who can kill me with a slip of the thumb or a wrongly placed sneeze." It's the fear that gets us all worked up about this.

Alright here's the deal why us car drivers have problems with cyclists in general...

I'm a motorist. Please don't speak for me.

Now I'm not saying any of you would do this, but these comments are all based on my personal experience. The one thing that makes me incredibly mad is the fact that some of you have the audacity to ride on a HIGHWAY where the speed limit is 55 or even greater?! I have seen this several times, and on every occasion there was a sidewalk not 10 feet from these assholes! I call these people assholes because they are not only risking their lives, but also everyone else on the road who has to avoid them.

Why it any more audacious for a cyclist to be there than it is for you? I'm wondering how much of a problem this actually is. How often exactly has a cyclist on one of these roads actually caused you more than a few seconds delay?

On the matter of sidewalks: in many jurisdictions it actually illegal to ride on them. Either way, a sidewalk is never an adequate substitute for the road. If you'd ridden a bike for any length of time you'd know this.

Im sorry, but percentage wise cars DO in-fact, own the road. I know legally you have as many rights as I do, but most of road cyclists I've seen are either completely oblivious to or just don't care about common courtesy.

Two separate issues. First of all, no, motorists do not own the road merely because there's more of them. Majority rule does apply to the roads, but not in the way you think. It works like this: The majority elect a government, the government define a set of road rules with the approval of the majority, and the rules say that cyclists and motorists have an equal place on the road. By using the road, you have agreed to follow it's rules, so get over the idea that you own it.

Secondly you seem to think that because 'cars own the road' that the only courtesy that cyclists should exhibit is to stay out of your way. Sorry to burst your bubble, dude, but traffic doesn't work that way. Cyclists are no more required to stay out of your way than traffic lights are required to be green every time you approach them. The key to happiness in traffic is to go with the flow. You would do well to learn it.

I'm sorry but if I'm in my car I don't want to sit behind you going 15 when the speed limit is 35!!

The keyword here is 'want'. Frankly, I don't have a lot of sympathy for someone who's problems with cyclists stem from their own impatience. The rules here are clear - you don't overtake until there's sufficient room to do so safely, no matter how fast you want to go. Where are you going anyway that a few seconds delay is a matter of life and death?

Now road cyclists have to obey all laws that cars are given, correct? Well one day on my way to the gym I was at a red light getting ready to make my right turn, as I start to go, some douchebag on his super ultimate million dollar bike decides to sneak up on my right side and go across the street in front of me. So I have to slam on my brakes so as not to kill the idiot and he has the balls to stare at me like I'm in the wrong!

Well I personally wouldn't try a move like that. Using the kerbside in that situation is asking for trouble, so yes, this cyclist was an idiot. Here in Aus, a move like that is illegal anyway. So what's your point? People do stupid things on the road? No argument there, but cyclists don't have a monopoly on that you know.

Again, how often has this happened? Just the once? I get people attempting to left hook me once or twice a month. The trick is to avoid crashing as best you can and get on with the trip. Turning it into a generalised rant against all motorists/cyclists serves no useful purpose.

I viewed a post a little far back about how much your bikes are worth, if they are so super why would you risk them doing stunts like these?! Im sorry but it's people like these examples that make me want to hold a bat out my window whenever I pass a biker so I wont have to worry about them in the future.

Heh. I feel the same way sometimes. See? We're not so different after all.

And before you all start flaming me, please no "get out of your car fatass" comments because I am a very fit golden glove boxer, and I can guarantee that my car is worth more than your bike as well.

The dollar value of you car is irrelevant. The value you place on human life is.

That said, before ranting against cyclists on a cycling forum, it would be prudent to actually have some experience to speak from. I drive a car regularly, so I think I've got a pretty good handle on the driver's perspective, even if it does differ from yours. Can you say the same about cycling?

I apologize if this doesnt pertain to you, but I'm trying to represent a car driver's perspective on this. There are asshole drivers, but you guys arent perfect either!

Again, as a motorist, please don't speak for me. The only thing you can speak of with any certainty is your own attitudes and experience. I think you've made those pretty clear, but please don't try and give it some sort of veneer of universality. It adds nothing to the point you're trying to make.

[QUOTE

I have always felt that if the Government only cares about its funds and money and revenue then WHY DONT THEY LICENSE BIKES???????

If I paid money to own a license to ride my bike on the road. IT can protect me....it can give me more rights.
A license says I know the rules of the road .
THe revenue it makes can go towards better shoulders, paved over rumble bars and BIKE LANES!
Later the money can be for maintenance and ...well..just good plain corruption in politics!!!! Come on politician people...dont you want another avenue to siphen?? I dont care if you steal a couple hundred grand off the top. Just give me my shoulders and bike lanes. I"ll be happy. :)

That way I have a license to BE ON THE ROAD and it shows I am a respected part of the community and not on on the fringe.

ok . NOw go ride.

Originally posted by JuneBug
[QUOTE

I have always felt that if the Government only cares about its funds and money and revenue then WHY DONT THEY LICENSE BIKES???????

If I paid money to own a license to ride my bike on the road. IT can protect me....it can give me more rights.
A license says I know the rules of the road .
THe revenue it makes can go towards better shoulders, paved over rumble bars and BIKE LANES!
Later the money can be for maintenance and ...well..just good plain corruption in politics!!!! Come on politician people...dont you want another avenue to siphen?? I dont care if you steal a couple hundred grand off the top. Just give me my shoulders and bike lanes. I"ll be happy. :)

That way I have a license to BE ON THE ROAD and it shows I am a respected part of the community and not on on the fringe.

ok . NOw go ride.

Hmmm, this sounds to me to be very trusting of government which I find I'm given little reason to do. Even the founding fathers warned of the dangers of trusting government and they became part of that government.

I think if you look at the extra rights motorcyclists enjoy due to the fact that they must license their vehicles, you'll get a good idea of what would be provided for any other minority group providing funds to governmental types -- nothing. Minority groups cast minority votes which doesn't interest politicians. As has been well established on another thread, even the induction loops at traffic lights won't sense a 600 pound motorcycle. I've spent many long minutes waiting for cars to approach an intersection in the middle of the night so that I could ride through on a motorcycle. I've even had to prop the bike on the kickstand and run over to the pole at the side of the road to push the button like a pedestrian leaving my expensive motorcycle in the middle of the road.

If you're not driving a car, you don't exist in their eyes. I don't think they'd actually steal a couple hundred grand off the top. They're more likely to leave you a couple hundred grand off the bottom after "misappropriating", (much nicer word, don't you think?) a few million off the top.

Once you license your bike, how do you show police that it's licensed? I don't want to hang a license plate on my bikes and I'm not fond of the stickers that are designed by government types. I just have to take the opposing view here. If government had ever shown any interest in the fact that other minority groups had special transportation needs, you might have my vote.

Not wanting to start a debate about which country is "best" or anything, but does anyone else get the impression from reading these forums that UK drivers are in general more considerate to cyclists than US ones? I keep reading anecdotes about drivers in the US running cyclists off the road or deliberately failing to give them enough room or overtaking dangerously, whereas there seems to be less evidence of this kind of thing happening in the UK. As a cyclist living in the UK, I can say that drivers here seem to be fairly cyclist-friendly. Obviously I am only talking in general; there are excellent drivers on both sides of the Atlantic, and there are no doubt idiots on both sides too.

Originally posted by mjw_byrne
Not wanting to start a debate about which country is "best" or anything, but does anyone else get the impression from reading these forums that UK drivers are in general more considerate to cyclists than US ones? I keep reading anecdotes about drivers in the US running cyclists off the road or deliberately failing to give them enough room or overtaking dangerously, whereas there seems to be less evidence of this kind of thing happening in the UK. As a cyclist living in the UK, I can say that drivers here seem to be fairly cyclist-friendly. Obviously I am only talking in general; there are excellent drivers on both sides of the Atlantic, and there are no doubt idiots on both sides too.

Having never cycled in the US I can't really comment on that, but I agree that I haven't come across too many drivers over here who have been deliberately agressive to me or other cyclists. What you do get, though, is a lack of experience and people not really knowing how to deal with cyclists. Motorists here are quite bad at seeing cyclists, which is the biggest problem, but are also bad at deciding when/where/whether to overtake.

Oxford is the opposite though - the cyclists there are a menace! Whenever I drive in Oxford, I have to make multiple evasive manouevres to avoid the cyclists who swerve off the bike lane while trying to talk on the phone and eat a sandwich at the same time!