Getting hit by a car, is it a matter of time?

Sweet, welcome to the forum  :)

So how'd you get hit?

Toady I heard someone aged 45 in got killed in Warragul, apparently he was a member of the racing club. Not sure of any other details but this sort of thing happens to much IMO.

cheers!

I was training in the early hours 5.15am and had a car swing out of a side street. The intersection was very good, the bike was lit up like a Christmas tree , reflective clothing , helmet , all the safety gear . Driver just didn't look. (he said it).

I usually train in the morning from 5.00 to 7.00 as it's the safest time.
Didn't hear about the bloke from Warragul , but you can turn on the local radio news , nearly every week there's a cyclist run over , most of those cyclists are riding to work , they ride in bad peak periods.
I used to ride to work , but now I mainly ride for sport.
Mountain biking is safer than riding on the roads where I live.
There are certain times of day I don't ride and certain roads I stay away from. Local knowledge goes along way.

cheers , thanks

the insurace companies use "Bully" Tactics to make it seem you will get nil or are at fualt. thats what happend in my case. looks like ill be taking legal action iv got legal advice and just have to weight up the bennifits/possible losess. legal bloke says i should get bike recovered $5000 range + Personal Injury. If you lost a week of work and still have a injury you could get a good amount. Lawer said i could get PI of 10,000-15 000 , now if just got to weigh up if things could go wrong or in lawer fees are more than i win :mad:. ill let you know how i go. PS Malvern Get LEGAL advice but take care!! if you are in the right you should win. Dont be put off BY PEN PUSHERS in there offices ;)

Didn't hear about the bloke from Warragul , but you can turn on the local radio news , nearly every week there's a cyclist run over , most of those cyclists are riding to work , they ride in bad peak periods.

http://www.roadcycling.net/news/news.php?id=734890184&mid=

I used to race with the warragul club most saturdays for 4 or 5 years, i'm quite interested to find out who it was incase i know him.

cheers!

http://www.roadcycling.net/news/news.php?id=734890184&mid=

I used to race with the warragul club most saturdays for 4 or 5 years, i'm quite interested to find out who it was incase i know him.

cheers!

This didn't make the press up here in Sydney.
Very sad affair :(
You go out riding for sport , so easy to get killed by a ****wit.
Glad I wasn't hit by a four wheel drive.
But .....

I wish I was driving my 4x4 instead of my racer.
The ******** would have definately come out second best.

On my new bike I'll put a sign - ( If you're nice to me when I'm riding my bike . I'll be nice to you when I'm driving my truck! )

cheers

On my new bike I'll put a sign - ( If you're nice to me when I'm riding my bike . I'll be nice to you when I'm driving my truck! )

HAHA nice one!

Hi to all on the Forum.. The main subject unfortunately is true I have been cycling for 5 years and have been knocked off twice both in situations where I has completley faultless, and also the car drivers defence has been "I didn't see him" The last time I was hit was funny looking back(not at the time) I went through a traffic light junction turning right(I am from Ireland so drive on the left) with the light's green for me when a guy in a car went through the red and hit me, knocking me off my bike and creaming my shin and the crankset and a set of Time equipe magnesium pedals, I was wearing a high visibility top and two lights and a helmet. Guess what he said!!! thats right and he also didn't see the red light he went through. the police wouldnt charge him and I had to push them to bring charges... I think the main problem with drivers is that most of them have never cycled in their lives and as such have no idea what we put up with... and I cant see it changing... :-[

I think the main problem with drivers is that most of them have never cycled in their lives and as such have no idea what we put up with...

I think the main problem with drivers is that most of them don't give a s**t about anyone else. I can't see that changing either.

I got hit last yr late and still havent been able to get back on the bike because the useless insurance agents didnt get their act together for ages, and when they did they expected me to replace my $5000 bike and all my gear for $1200. So i am still saving!
Bit of a joke if you ask me! :mad:

I got hit last yr late and still havent been able to get back on the bike because the useless insurance agents didnt get their act together for ages, and when they did they expected me to replace my $5000 bike and all my gear for $1200. So i am still saving!
Bit of a joke if you ask me!  :mad:

I'm just about to be taken for a ride in the same boat.
Do you know why they ****ed around so much with your claim?
Was it through your insurance or someone elses?
How did they asses the damage? and arrive at the 'flea market' bargain amount of $1200?
$5000 bike - $1200 WTF???

The brain dead ******** who trashed my bike will get his car fixed and it'll look lovely and new and all I'll get is a rusty malven star.
Custom built Kerry Hopkins/Ultegra - Rusty malvern star???
:mad:

I'm just about to be taken for a ride in the same boat.
Do you know why they ****ed around so much with your claim?
Was it through your insurance or someone elses?
How did they asses the damage? and arrive at the 'flea market' bargain amount of $1200?
$5000 bike - $1200 WTF???

The brain dead ******** who trashed my bike will get his car fixed and it'll look lovely and new and all I'll get is a rusty malven star.
Custom built Kerry Hopkins/Ultegra - Rusty malvern star???
:mad:

Shut up you bloody whinger ::) ;D

Umm, M_S, you appear to be typing to yourself.. Is this not worrying? anyone we can call for you?

So saying, I can't help but agree on the insurance thing, you can't help but understand when people commit insurance fraud, because the law abiding citizens amongst us give correct details and get screwed, partially because the insurance company is being constantly hammered by the fraudsters. But then the problem is that to get our own back we have to commit fraud etc. What a terrible cycle.

Umm, M_S, you appear to be typing to yourself..  Is this not worrying?  anyone we can call for you?

So saying, I can't help but agree on the insurance thing, you can't help but understand when people commit insurance fraud, because the law abiding citizens amongst us give correct details and get screwed, partially because the insurance company is being constantly hammered by the fraudsters.  But then the problem is that to get our own back we have to commit fraud etc.  What a terrible cycle.

Don't worry
My main problems are finnancial
Brain wasn't too badly damaged :-/ :p  ??? :p :-/
Call a bike shop please and buy me a new bike if you'd be so kind. ;D
I've submitted receipts and a quote to the underwriter , however they will conduct their own assesment , they won't give me full replacement value and are also entitled to deduct the value of the wreck off their nominal valuation.
They could say that your bike is worth $1200 yet the parts are $600 , they'll only give you $600. The solicitor warned me about this , so I'll just have to see.
cheers

Malvern_star, where do you live?

Im paying off my new road bike now (other one was stolen.. charming...) and am looking at insurance for if i get hit/crash whatever.. it will be covered under my home and contents for stealing though..

does anyone know how i go about insurance..?
???

If you live in South Africa, give Cyclesure a call. They only do bicycles and get rave reviews by people who have claims.

Malvern_star, where do you live?

Im paying off my new road bike now (other one was stolen.. charming...) and am looking at insurance for if i get hit/crash whatever.. it will be covered under my home and contents for stealing though..

does anyone know how i go about insurance..?
???

Ness I live in Sydney.
If you live in NSW, contact NRMA . I really wouldn't have a clue who'll underwrite pushbikes, but I'm sure NRMA will give you some directions.Bicycle NSW or NSW cycling federation would also be able to help as they both provide insurance which covers personal injury . A race license is an insurance premium for personal accident but I don't think it covers you for your damaged bike.
I'll have to do research on this too.

cheers

You can get your bike included in your house insurance, but i doubt this would cover youu while out training/racing. Bicycle Victoria have better insurance than what you get with your racing licence, but i'm not sure if you can include your bike with that.
Have a look at;
www.bv.com.au

cheers!

You MUST join a bicycling organization which provides legal cover!<br /><br />In the UK, the Cycle Touring Club http://www.ctc.org.uk/ is cheap. I am a racer, so I am in the British Cycling Federation which is a little more expensive.<br /><br />If you don't have legal help the insurance companies will just f**k you over. You'll be brushed off and brushed off until you are so ****** off that you leave them alone, and they've got away with it because you're the small guy. It's happened to people in my club.<br /><br />When I got hit, the police weren't even going to prosecute at first. They only changed their mind when I told them that I had broken my kneecap. The case is going to court on the 30th October because the ******** has pleased not guilty to Careless Driving.<br /><br />He drove his car into me! How can that be &quot;careful&quot;???<br /><br />The lawyers didn't get full bike replacement costs because they wanted to factor in depreciation. But the claim included the transport costs I incurred and physiotherapy costs, so even though I had paid for the transport and physiotherapy in the first place, the final cheque was enough to by the whole bike except the wheels. Hpmph! I took the Rolfs from my time trial bike and bought some carbon time trial wheels for it - I needed a good excuse to get them!<br /><br />I am still waiting for compensation for the injury, over a year later, but because I have legal cover, I am confident of getting something. My knee still hurts when I step up or down on it and the muscle is still smaller because the leg won't work as hard because of the pain.

I was recreantly hit by a truck. I was on my way to school and was biking in the bike lane when a truck broadsided me. I was going a about 35 mph, and the truck was pulling out of an apartment complex when it hit me on my right side. It sent me flying across two car lanes and I landed on my head on the other side of the road. The ironic thing thought is that 3 days before the accident I bought a new helmet (Specialized king cobra) which basically saved my life.

Shiny<br /><br />Were you a helmet wearer before the crash or was it just good fortune that you decided to start.<br /><br />Also what were the extent of your injuries because it sounds like he hit you bad.

No I wear a helmet most of the time, it’s just that I never thought that it would ever help me in any way. As for the injuries they are as fallows: 2 broken ribs, broken nose, twisted ankle, and a whole bunch of skin missing from the shoulder and all hands, and feet. But the good thing is that I got my bike back today so I’m back on the road again ;D