Getting hit by a car, is it a matter of time?

Had not riden a bike in twenty years and rented bikes for the family to ride on the beach and bike paths at Hilton Head Island, SC. Didn't think I needed helmets even though at home I won't let my grandson ride without beening helmeted. My grandson rode in front on me and cause me to hit his back wheel and my bare head hit the sand.
I have since gotten several bikes and several helmets at least one for each house. I won't leave the house ridding with out a helmet and eye-covering. Got hit in the face by a bumble bee today. Just missed my sun glasses. Had laser eye surgery to keep from wearing glasses and now I realise that eye protection is just as important as a helmet.
A good horn is another important piece of safety equipment. A large bugle horndoes wonders for making one be seen.

Two words: Tractor-Trailer....they seem to forget the trailer is wider than the tractor. Last week I had to lean to the right when I was on the shoulder to get the necessary two inches of clearance that allowed me to return home sans body bag.

Near the same location less than a week before a sand and gravel tractor trailer decided he had more power than me so he left the stop sign as I turned the corner. I was not one foot from whacking my noggin on the rear one third of his trailer before being crushed like a bug under his wheels. His timing was poor though...he had to stop for traffic, and so did the police sergeant going the other way...so I had him stopped and warned.

And then there was a time when I was a kid...I am chuckling at this one...riding with another kid on the back of my bike down a steep hill, and couldn't stop at the bottom. Right into the door of a Mercedes (built of bricks, I am still sure of this) over the top of the car, landing on a fire hydrant across the intersection. Fortunately, 10 year olds are made of rubber!

Hey,

I communte to work by bike. Haven't been hit yet. Came close several times. I do agree that it is only a matter of time.
Originally posted by Guest
Hi.

For people who frequently ride on road.. is it only a matter of time before you get hit?

I'm always thinking about it when I'm on the road, and just pray it never happens to me.. had a close call the other day.

Who here frequently rides on the road and has never been hit, and who has been hit.

Share your stories please.
:cool:

Originally posted by Obone7171
Hey,

I communte to work by bike. Haven't been hit yet. Came close several times. I do agree that it is only a matter of time. :cool:

From what I have read or been told. Most of the time, I type most not all, the drivers who hit cylists are more concerned about how this affects them. Not how this accident affects the cyclist. This is so typical of North American fast paced, all I care about is myself attitude. These drivers should be shot and left for dead. They are useless to society. Then again I believe in what goes around comes around. If they hit a cyclist and care little. Then one day hopefully a drunk driver or something similar shall hit one of their loved ones. Pay back is a b!tch.....

Memph

If ever in Toronto & notice a cyclists beating the tar out of a driver, then say "Hi", it's probably me.. :)

I recently got hit by a car for the first time in 25 years of riding. The car failed to stop on the approach to a roundabout and drove up the inside of a car which was correctly giving way as I was on the roundabout. Luckily I was not badly hurt, but this meant that the Police weren't interested. When I called to report it, the operator asked me to ride down to the nearest police station! As my back wheel was broken and helmet cracked I suggested they could send someone out. This was a quiet Sunday afternoon. The good news is that they are going to put traffic signals on the roundabout.

There are two types of riders in this world. The ones that have been hit, and those that are about to.

Originally posted by joeydude
There are two types of riders in this world. The ones that have been hit, and those that are about to.

What about the ones who have already been hit but continue to spend hours everyday out there? We are the unlucky few that shall be hit more then once....

Memph

Most interesting reading. Suppose luck and caution (even if it means stopping and walking part of the way) are the only factors to rely on. Find early morning cycling has its hazards with milkfloats, taxis and hellbent motorists

Have: Flipped over the handlebars and cracked the back of my helmet. Run over a puppy: it got up and barked at me as I lay in the road. Gone over the hood of a car. Hit a patched pavement hole on a descent, came down in the flat of the intersection and fractured my pelvis. Most recent, finishing a 20 m. ride, 1 block from the house and hit another patched hole, have some nice beef jerkey going on.

Conclusion: stupidity and that most cyclling injuries are self inflicted. Was built for speed at one point but slowing down a bit.

Originally posted by skssca
Have: Flipped over the handlebars and cracked the back of my helmet. Run over a puppy: it got up and barked at me as I lay in the road. Gone over the hood of a car. Hit a patched pavement hole on a descent, came down in the flat of the intersection and fractured my pelvis. Most recent, finishing a 20 m. ride, 1 block from the house and hit another patched hole, have some nice beef jerkey going on.

Conclusion: stupidity and that most cyclling injuries are self inflicted. Was built for speed at one point but slowing down a bit.

You have some bad karma happening there. Hitting a puppy, atleast it wasn't a nun walking the puppy.....

Memph

Had many close calls but I am one of those expect the driver to do the worst you can imagine and you usually manage to get by, had my closet call the other, it was scary.

early sunday morning, dark, tight corner, heard a car approaching very fast from behind, so I slowed down, that slowing saved me from being in the path of the car as it hurtled out of control across the road, hit a parked car, bounced and spun 3 times before ending up on the other side of the road facing the wrong way.

I turned back and went home, decided this was not my best day for cycling.

I think just be aware at all times as soon as you are not concentrating thats when something happens.

good luck on the roads
Mikey

I live in Japan where most people ride on the footpath, which is the most dangerous place to be - cars coming from a side street will drive straight across the footpath before stopping or looking.

I was hit a couple of months ago, going down a hill on the straight, on my mtb so fortunately was only at about 45-50km/h, when a car overtook me (so must have seen me), then turned sharp left without indicating. I hit the side of the car, and did a nice little somersault over the bonnet & onto the ground. Then the driver gets out and starts yelling at me (while I'm lying on the ground with a bit of blood splashed everywhere). Fortunately no major injury, worst was the rearview mirror collected me in the leg, soft tissue damage made walking difficult & painful for a few weeks.

On the roads in Japan though, it's generally not so bad, the traffic moves slower than in Australia (where I'm from), and coming down steep, windy mountain roads where a bike can travel faster than a car, I've actually had cars pull over to let me pass!

An EGG ! I got hit by one of those as well, I thopught I was pretty unique, are there any more of us out there ? -at the time I thought it was an apple - it was only when I got off and looked I realised - must have been the speed of the impact that made it seem heavier.
On a safety note - I have a rather nasty roundabout to negotiate, fast moving, very busy, and some exits going on to a motorway - I try to move quickly but always assume that any motorist has not seen me until I have made eye contact with them. This is a good rule to follow although not always an easy or practical one.

QUOTE]Originally posted by Guest
I, too, find that a little anti-motorist bigotry is an extremely useful safety device. I'm not talking about trying to physically attack drivers or anything extreme like that, but I take the "stupid until proven otherwise" view. Being prepared for the worst-case scenario is a good idea when it happens.

I have actually been hit three times by cars, and once by an egg thrown from a car (good thing I was wearing my helmet on that one, at least I know I can be seen at night, now), but I've never suffered so much as a bruise as a result. Maybe I've just been lucky.

However, I don't subscribe to the theory that bikepaths are necessarily the answer. My (admittedly limited) experience of them is that they are more dangerous than any road I have ever ridden (and I've ridden the supposedly dangerous Burringbar Range quite a few times). I've also read statistics from the US indicating that cyclist death rates are three times higher on bikepaths than on the road.

Roads with good shoulders please, but bikepaths... I'll pass on that one. [/QUOTE]

Originally posted by ronytrombone
An EGG ! I got hit by one of those as well, I thopught I was pretty unique, are there any more of us out there ?
Heh....I was hit by a tampon once (fortunately still in its wrapper).

Although, I remember one night, riding home on the side of a motorway, just after the toll gates (the M2 in sydney), ahen I was the victim of a drive-by spanking. Once I realized that it wasn't just an accidental sideswipe and it had actually been a guy leaning out of the window, it made my night...I mean, I never realized my **** on a bike looked that attractive to a car full of blokes. (this is me being a bloke as well):cool:

Originally posted by Cheesy
Heh....I was hit by a tampon once (fortunately still in its wrapper).

Although, I remember one night, riding home on the side of a motorway, just after the toll gates (the M2 in sydney), ahen I was the victim of a drive-by spanking. Once I realized that it wasn't just an accidental sideswipe and it had actually been a guy leaning out of the window, it made my night...I mean, I never realized my **** on a bike looked that attractive to a car full of blokes. (this is me being a bloke as well):cool:

I was also once the victim of a drive by spanking early one morning from a car full of drunken sailors. Another morning a drunken squid grabbed my arm from his car and propelled me for about a half a block. It was rather frightening.

Originally posted by ronytrombone
An EGG ! I got hit by one of those as well, I thopught I was pretty unique, are there any more of us out there ? -at the time I thought it was an apple - it was only when I got off and looked I realised - must have been the speed of the impact that made it seem heavier.
On a safety note - I have a rather nasty roundabout to negotiate, fast moving, very busy, and some exits going on to a motorway - I try to move quickly but always assume that any motorist has not seen me until I have made eye contact with them. This is a good rule to follow although not always an easy or practical one.

QUOTE]Originally posted by Guest
I, too, find that a little anti-motorist bigotry is an extremely useful safety device. I'm not talking about trying to physically attack drivers or anything extreme like that, but I take the "stupid until proven otherwise" view. Being prepared for the worst-case scenario is a good idea when it happens.Hey out there I'm about to go out on my usual 20 mile ride and of course I sometimes pray before I saddle up because almost always I encounter some type of stupid behavior brought on by some driver who obvously is not a bike rider because if that driver was I would not get cut off right before I enter the innersection or get clipped right before I exit. The problem I think drivers have especially here in Philly, there's too much impatience everyone's in a hurry everyone wants to be in front now I may understand that when I'm behind the wheel but whats the deal when I'm on the bike. If you ask me it's alot of bikerider haters out there, I think its open season sometimes. We have to stick together somehow someway.

I have actually been hit three times by cars, and once by an egg thrown from a car (good thing I was wearing my helmet on that one, at least I know I can be seen at night, now), but I've never suffered so much as a bruise as a result. Maybe I've just been lucky.

However, I don't subscribe to the theory that bikepaths are necessarily the answer. My (admittedly limited) experience of them is that they are more dangerous than any road I have ever ridden (and I've ridden the supposedly dangerous Burringbar Range quite a few times). I've also read statistics from the US indicating that cyclist death rates are three times higher on bikepaths than on the road.

Roads with good shoulders please, but bikepaths... I'll pass on that one.
[/QUOTE]

The advice that some have given above about getting used to cars, etc. is sound. It is an unfortunate fact that most drivers on the road are unsure about how to deal with cyclists. Sharing the road with cars is simply something that must be done; indeed, in some US cities (and elsewhere I imagine) it is illegal for adults to ride their bicycles on the sidewalk anyway. It really is the safest place.

I have been hit twice in the roughly nine years that I've been commuting by bike. As a teenager, I slid into the side of a car that turned in front of me without signaling. In the last month, while on a training ride, I was cut to the curb by a taxi on a city street -- I averted being squashed against parked cars only by banging like crazy on the passenger window of the cab with the flat of my hand. I scared the @*#$ out of the fare though!

My best bit is using your hand signals, and don't just stick to the standard boyscout versions. Signal a left turn with an extended left arm (I usually pat my head very obviously and then point repeatedly before I even start moving). Right turns are a bit tougher, but you're usually nearly merging with right turns in the states (the raised left arm with fist held alof at a 90 degree angle to your elbow works fine). When I change lanes I signal. When I see an obstacle (double parked car, pothole, etc. etc.) I extend my left arm with my palm facing the driver (signaling them to bacik off), then slowly move into the center of the lane. I would much rather ride down the center of a lane and ******** someone behind me than get doored, or worse. Drivers tend to appreciate this, since they have the warning that we so often crave from them.

Make the golden rule your rule when it comes to signaling and then cross your fingers. Otherwise . . . check out your local activists' calendar for chances to advocate for your rights and safety on the road!

Yup, Got bumped once.

I was right in front of the guy at a stop light (he was turning right, but looking left). I had the "walk" signal, he had the red light (small red sports car).

I was almost past him when he accelerated and his bumper made contact with my left pedal (clipless), swinging me completely around, but I was able to stay upright (some mysterious act of luck). Only trashed my rear wheel.

I ran into the back of a parked car once. Very embarrasing (right in the middle of the University). Do NOT look down to adjust stuff in your hand while riding.

Tons of close calls.
R2

Originally posted by Guest
Hi.

For people who frequently ride on road.. is it only a matter of time before you get hit?

I'm always thinking about it when I'm on the road, and just pray it never happens to me.. had a close call the other day.

Who here frequently rides on the road and has never been hit, and who has been hit.

Share your stories please.

About a year ago I was involved in an accident and I'm still recovering. I was headed north and the driver was headed south. It was a perfectly bright sunny day so the visiblity was great (from my perspective). There was a three way intersection that I was crossing over (it was to my right) and the driver decided to turn onto that road. I guess she didn't see me in my bright yellow jersey. I hit the car doing 20mph, performed the three most perfect flips in the air with the bike (according to the witness) and landed in the middle of the road without the bike. One of my shoes was still clipped into the bike and the other I was still wearing.

Fortunately for me I was wearing my helmet (I never leave home without it), but unfortunately I took out her passenger-sdie mirror with my right knee. Here is the amazing part, I didn't break any bones, and all the damage was tissue damage. I took out all the tissue o the inside of my right knee down to the muscle without damaging any of the muscle. Talk about lucky (I guess). I have 5 skin graphs (sp?) on my right leg, so there are some pretty interesting battle wounds now.

The driver doesn't own the car (it's her daughters), she doesn't own a house (she is living with her daughter), and there is minimal coverage onthe car with NO property damage. Go figure.

Needless to say, my 2001 Bianchi Eros with its steel frame was crushed. The front tire overlaps the downtube. It this is is shorter now my an inch.

I took me a year to figure out if I wanted to ride bikes again. At the time of the accident my daughter was only 6-weeks old and the only thought going through my head during my ambulance ride was...what if my daughter had to grow up without her father. I've been on the road a couple times this year on my mountain bike and I feel confident, yet much more cautious, on the road. I can't let something like this own my life and I enjoy cycling too much to just give it up. One thing is for sure and that is that I will probably ride slower because of the accident.