Getting hit by a car, is it a matter of time?

[quote author=A shiny little box link=board=8;threadid=568;start=30#22712 date=1037506241]<br /> But the good thing is that I got my bike back today so I’m back on the road again ;D<br />[/quote]<br /><br /> ;D<br /><br />Broken ribs are god's way of saying stay in bed, because as you must know it's bloody murder trying to get up.

Originally posted by Guest
I can't see how bikepaths can be dangerous?

Unless we are speaking of some other form of bikepath.

The bikepaths I speak of, are paths which are completely set aside from roads and used for the sole purpose of either pedestrians walking or cyclists cycling. And the odd rollerblader too.

How anyone could manage to die on one of these paths I'm not sure?

I also agree that normal roads with proper bike lanes are a great and viable alternative as well.

I think the paths you are talking about in Queensland are footpaths where cyclists of any age are allow to use them.

Which is strange as under The Australian Road Rules pedestrians are not allow to use bikepaths, but cyclists of any age because Local Laws in Queensland are allow to use footpaths.

Originally posted by kwv
I think the paths you are talking about in Queensland are footpaths where cyclists of any age are allow to use them.

Which is strange as under The Australian Road Rules pedestrians are not allow to use bikepaths, but cyclists of any age because Local Laws in Queensland are allow to use footpaths.

Yes, we are about 35 years behind the rest of Australia here in Queensland, although this has it's good points too (none of that daylight savings rubbish up here. :D ). However, it's not just in Queensland that these paths are dangerous. I saw some on my tour of Victoria as well. The signs on the entrance to Warrnambool direct cyclists to these paths, however, after attempting to use one, I soon decided the Princes Highway was by far the safer option.

I've also seen statistics out of America which indicate that for any given length of time, you are three times as likely to die on bike paths than on roads. What needs to be understood here is that bike paths will only protect you from being hit from behind by a car, which accounts for only a very small % of bicycle accidents (possibly the lowest of all factors).

The biggest cause of cycling injuries and fatalities is simply falling off, something that is more likely on a bike path because of the generally poor construction of these things. The other factor is being hit from the side by cars, again, more likely on bikepaths because many of them cross driveways, carparks etc that the roads tend to avoid.

Originally posted by Guest
Unfortunately, that seems to be the way everything's going these days. I've never really been one to say "sue the M/F", but I'd do so if the bike was totally written off or if it was an expensive repair. If it wasn't however, I'd probably just...

... that is, of course, after calling the police. They might get fined or at least receive a reminder phone call about "road safety". ;D

Or the police won't do anything as I was told The Police has to be there to witness what happen.

I think that you can go a long time, even forever, without being hit. I was a messenger in Phila. and got hit a total of 3 times, once my fault, once by a hit-and-run, once by a guy that did it on purpose. Since I've left that job, I have not been hit, still ride to work everyday plus 150-200 + miles (200-300 km) per week training for road and track. So riding around in the densest traffic in your city (mine is Philadelphia) will increase your odds of getting hit, also if you spend all day on a bike in the downtown areas, you increase your chances. Even so, I am sure I could have avoided each of the three incidents I have had. The hit and run driver ran a red light, she was fully culpable, but knowing how people drive in this town (crazily), I could have been a little more careful.

Bottom line: Ride defensively and maintain high visibility: Wear bright colors, reflector and lights at night, HELMET always, and don't ride an inch (2.5 cm) from the curb (kerb), get out in the lanes a little so people can see you and have to wait til it's safe to pass you. I think that a lot of people get into dangerous positions by cramming over as close to the side of the road as possible; leave 18" (0,5 m) or more between you and the road's edge.

Enjoy!

I have been hit quite a few times but fortunately nothing serious... i go along with the assumption that if I make to work and then back home again without incident then I have done very well.

I figure that travelling along roads with lower speed limits (60km/hr) increases my chances that i wont be killed but obviously this is not possible for those training out on country roads, highways etc. I guess all we can do in these situations is cross our fingers.

It strikes me as very suprising that there is so little mention of bikes/motorcycles when obtaining a car license. I truly believe that there are a number of drivers out there who have no idea how to react to cyclists - you would think it is mostly common sense i.e. maybe I shouldnt pass that cyclist in the roundabout because then I will have to mount the gutter in the middle! but more and more I am amazed every day. If there was even just a small but serious component in the license test (or advanced driver training course) then maybe it will stick in people's minds to LOOK out for other road users.

On another note, it suprises and offends me to see other riders not wearing helmets - on the road or not. Not that long ago I had an accident on a bike path that had steel fencing either side with a 7 metre drop to the river below (the suspension bridge under the monash freeway near glenferrie rd for those that know it). My handlebars got caught in the fence resulting in a full somersault over the handlebars where the back of my head met the top of the steel railing, leaving an impressive crater in the helmet. Moral of the story - dont assume that because you are on a bike path, you dont need a helmet.

well now i can relate to others who share the same frustration when dealing with the most fu$ked in the head drivers. yeah even i think about getting involved in an accident on roads.

about a month ago i was at an intersection and the lights turned green and i pushed off and out of the blue came out a speeding 4 wheel drive. then cutting me right off. i got ****** so i follwed the dude to the supermarket. i hang around till he and his daughter came out. then i politely asked why the heck did he crossed me over and his reply was. i was on my push bike. man i have friggen expensive racer not a friggen push bike, that was like an insult to me. then his blatant ignorance rolled in, he says i should be in the left lane, when the left lane was for turning traffic only. so i asked him, says who? he replies the road code book, i was like yeah right mate, cyclist have the same rules as a motor veahicle driver. so i went to the cops and gosh another friggen drama. the cop listened to my story took all the details down. then i asked him so are you going to chase this up. then he starts exploding about me telling him how to do his job.

anyways thats my issue.. i just would like to know if anyone else had to deal with this sort of problems?? now for me i just give idots the fingers. simple and sweet.

When I commute (which is fairly often, two or three times a week), I always take routes that minimise my exposure to risk. i.e:

* take only lightly trafficked roads with speed limits 50-70kph
* use the bike path network (thanks to laziness amongst the populace, they're not as bad as you think :p )
* avoid intersections where right turns need to be made
* avoid roads with 'pinch points', narrow lanes, etc

It sometimes takes a few hours with a melways and later on scouting around the back streets of the route finding the 'perfect' road combination, but I've found it can be done.

I've never had a 'close call' incident in almost a year so far; just one or two people who yell something unintelligible as they drive past.

Oh on the topic of accidents and helmet use etc.

Every time when I ride, it seems that at least half the cyclists I see have helmets, but they don't wear them. Instead they HANG THEM UP ON THEIR HANDLEBAR dangling there, as if it's providing some magical force-field of invincibility.

It's a helmet, it goes on your head, not the handlebar! AARgh!

The only thing that pisses me off more are cyclists that run red lights :mad:

Something Troyq wrote:
"It strikes me as very suprising that there is so little mention of bikes/motorcycles when obtaining a car license. I truly believe that there are a number of drivers out there who have no idea how to react to cyclists - you would think it is mostly common sense i.e. maybe I shouldnt pass that cyclist in the roundabout because then I will have to mount the gutter in the middle! but more and more I am amazed every day. If there was even just a small but serious component in the license test (or advanced driver training course) then maybe it will stick in people's minds to LOOK out for other road users. "

I totally agree with you that this should be included as part of pratical driving practice. Also there are drivers who are not confident in their driving skills and are on the roads. I say this because of some ppl I work with are like this, not to mention any names. I am surprised that Victorian Government doesnt enforce cyclist safety through any TV adverts. Mind you I have only see one advert a few times with regards to motorcylist safety. Cant they do similar things for us cyclists.

Here is another point, I was reading an article in the Multi Sport and Triathlon magazine last year where they had mentioned about certain countries where popular cycling strips are closed off to motor veahicles during the weekend and only cyclists are permitted. Why cant they do this on Beach Road?

Lastly, those idiots that drive and talk on the cellphone, that just gives me the *****. I have had a few close calls with these morons as well.

I agree with Rek with the importance of safety helmet. I can vouch for that on an experience i had two months back. Fell over when my back wheel got caugh in the tram track.

I haven't been hit yet, but like many have had a lot of close calls.

Regarding bike paths, I used to live in Canberra, Australia. A lot of nice bike paths, but they twist and turn and don't really go anywhere worthwhile..to commute you really had to get on the road. Mainly for the weekend rider. I live in Sydney now, and while bike paths are appearing, they are a still a little rare. At least some of them go in a straight line!

Regarding helmets, I agree there is not much point having the thing hanging from the bars or the stem. May as well put it on!

Doors, pulling out without indicators, corners..all a worry as mentioned. Add people cutting across in front of you..passing, then braking and turning left in front of you into a side street. People obviously don't realise how fast a cyclist can go?

But surely the worst are those who do see you, then open the door or pull out regardless?

Regards.

Regarding bike paths, I concur. I only use those here in Denver (and there are many) at off hours, due to the overload of rollerbladers, people with dogs, people with kids, strollers three abreast, etc.
One item I haven't seen mentioned much is riding at night. I work 2nd shift, meaning I'm riding home about 1 in the morning. It may be a macabre way of looking at it, but I think I'm in more danger of being hit during the daytime. I hardly ever see a car at night, though I do see a few drunks!
In 20 years of commuting I've been hit twice. Both, I'm sorry to say, were my fault. No serious injuries, just stern reminders to be more damn careful.

Regarding bike paths, I concur. I only use those here in Denver (and there are many) at off hours, due to the overload of rollerbladers, people with dogs, people with kids, strollers three abreast, etc.
One item I haven't seen mentioned much is riding at night. I work 2nd shift, meaning I'm riding home about 1 in the morning. It may be a macabre way of looking at it, but I think I'm in more danger of being hit during the daytime. I hardly ever see a car at night, though I do see a few drunks!
In 20 years of commuting I've been hit twice. Both, I'm sorry to say, were my fault. No serious injuries, just stern reminders to be more damn careful.

Originally posted by Chester1 Regarding bike paths, I used to live in Canberra, Australia. A lot of nice bike paths, but they twist and turn and don't really go anywhere worthwhile..to commute you really had to get on the road. Mainly for the weekend rider.

It's largely the same up here. I really don't think bikepaths are designed for cyclists that actually intend to go anywhere as such. I generally ignore them.

Originally posted by Chester1
Regarding helmets, I agree there is not much point having the thing hanging from the bars or the stem. May as well put it on!

The idea of these people is to put the helmet on if they see a cop. Personally I don't understand how that would work or why someone would spend the money on a helmet they have no intention of wearing.

Doors, pulling out without indicators, corners..all a worry as mentioned. Add people cutting across in front of you..passing, then braking and turning left in front of you into a side street. People obviously don't realise how fast a cyclist can go?

Originally posted by Chester1 But surely the worst are those who do see you, then open the door or pull out regardless?

My policy here is to simply ride wide enough of parked cars to make being hit an impossibility. I figure your chances of being hit from behind are considerably less doing this than if you are weaving in and out of the traffic lane for the odd open door.

The thing that worries me is when people indicate that they are going to turn somewhere and don't. That has caught me out on numerous occasions.

Got hit by a car last week. Scary experience. Woman said she didn't see me and drove right in front of me. I tried to swerve out of the way, but as I was travelling too fast, I was hit by her car. Luckily my bike was not damaged, and I went off in the ambulance with a cracked hip. Now I'm off the bike for three months, according to the doctor, and very frustrated. But I consider myself very lucky that I wasn't hurt too badly.

Sorry to hear about you accident Roadster, wish you a speedy recovery. Now you'll have more time to surf the web and the forum!!!

Thanx, but I'd rather be on my bike. BTW LL, beware of Zambezi Road, that's where it happened.

I'm afraid that it is a matter of time. The best thing to do is to ASSUME that the driver will be negligent, and ride defensively. It has paid off for me.

A local rider, known nationally for his marathon rides, was killed a couple of weeks ago. He was riding on a farm road when a school bus mirror caught him in the back of the head (from behind.) He never regained consciousness. Very sad.

Every accident that I have had riding was on a bike path: a dog, a child in the way, cyclists taking up both sides of the path. There are a lot of stupid, inconsiderate riders out there.

:eek:

I also came off the bike, on a bike path, with a touch of handlebars on a corner. Had done 1000kms by this time on the bike path, h/ever as you have many different types of experience on the bikepath, you cannot assume that all know what they are doing. As a result of the fall I broke my hip and I am in the last stages of recovery, as I type this post. I fell in March 2003 and have not been able to get off the crutches since. Hoping by the end of May 2003. You just need to be cautious and never assume that you have been seen etc. I stay off the road alltogether as I have heard some horrific stories.

In some 30 years of riding, I have never been hit by a car. I do believe the main reason for tis is because I pay attention to the traffic around me And I use a rear veiw mirror. The autonutz here in New Mexico are absolute asses. Fortunately, it is not very difficult to avoid the stupidity of car driving imbiciles.