Getting hit by a car, is it a matter of time?

Originally posted by Harrow
Interlooper,

A friend of mine got "doored" a while ago in Sydney. Besides a lot of gravel rash he was okay. He wasn't going to pursue it, but the woman who was responsible started abusing him because the vinyl lining of her door was torn and she wanted him to pay to have it repaired! So the police got involved and he ended up receiving a $5,000 settlement. Now he aims for people about to open their door!!

Regards,
Harrow.

hahaHAAAAAAAA ***** got whats coming to her. awesome!! i love hearing about self-rightous arrogant a***oles shooting themselves in the foot :). good to hear, thanks. i could use 5000 dollarls right about now, i think i'll go on a door-hunt :). j/k

reminds me of the time i was hit head on and the silly ***** driver got out and started going nuts about the state of her husbands BMW! it took me all my energy to stop my brother from knocking the **** out of her husband!

still it was good of the police and insurance company to explain how things work to the silly cow! and thankfully i wasnt injured that badly

Hi, new to post, but you'll get used to me.

I have been hit while cycling, aproximately 14 years ago.

I was in control of the turn lane (A Florida Law)....car hit me from behind at a high enough speed to flip me off the bike, I landed on my back and roadrashed for about 40 feet.

The Skin on my back has healed nicely, thanx mostly to good ambulance attendee.

I still think about that everytime I ride...

As a matter of note: I am a daily rider (commute to work as well as to and from stores, etc.

My ride to work is quite long and hazardous....ie no bike lanes, I ride at night (I do have lights TYVM), hard curbs, and open street drains, no shoulder, and heavy truck traffic route.

I am not advocate of the "Bike trail" (mostly because those really are just recreation riding areas)

I am an advocate of 'share the road' and space to ride, ie bike lanes, and/or wide shoulders.

Originally posted by Guest
Hi.

For people who frequently ride on road.. is it only a matter of time before you get hit?

I'm always thinking about it when I'm on the road, and just pray it never happens to me.. had a close call the other day.

Who here frequently rides on the road and has never been hit, and who has been hit.

Share your stories please.

Bravo....someone who didn't sue without true cause....
(too bad we are such a small minority of ppl.

Originally posted by Fatherzen
I have been bicycling to work for two years and I have a couple of close calls with drivers who pass me and then turn right in front (or beside) me. About a year ago, I had a lady pull out from a stop sign while I was in the intersection and got knocked down. Fortunately, all I got was a skinned knee, while she got the hood of her new car all scratched up.

The odd thing about the accident was that everyone I know wanted to know if why I hadn't filed a police report to get an insurance settlement. The fact that neither I nor my bike were damaged didn't seem to mean anything. The general concensus was that I should have filed a report, and that the insurance company would offer a small settlement to prevent me from claiming injuries down the road.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I think law suits should be reserved for legitimate losses, and that those who treat getting into a motor vehicle accident like winning the lottery are making it harder for people with legit claims.

reading the posts again about the guy who just got a skinned knee from the accident. I agree with your ethics, but you should have filed a police report anyway. When you get up or even a day later, the pain might not have hit you. I had to have follow up doctors appointments to make sure I didn't develop spine, joint, or head injury symptoms, which apparently is quite frequent. So for those of you who are involved in an accident, make police report, it only takes you a little bit of time, and prevents you from taking a loss. You don't have to sue when you have a police report filled out, it is just legal protection.
-Jacob

A report was filed......they paid the ambulance and E room....I'm saying I didn't call a lawyer to try to get more than was needed..

Originally posted by Can
reading the posts again about the guy who just got a skinned knee from the accident. I agree with your ethics, but you should have filed a police report anyway. When you get up or even a day later, the pain might not have hit you. I had to have follow up doctors appointments to make sure I didn't develop spine, joint, or head injury symptoms, which apparently is quite frequent. So for those of you who are involved in an accident, make police report, it only takes you a little bit of time, and prevents you from taking a loss. You don't have to sue when you have a police report filled out, it is just legal protection.
-Jacob

In my case, it is possible that I should have filed a police report for my own protection, but even if I had woken up with injuries the next day, I would have been able to file a report. The local police academy has their trainees jog down the street I live on, and the accident happen a block from a troop of them taking a rest break while their instructors talked with a pair of officers in a patrol car. Since they saw the whole thing, I don't think I would have had any problems with a belated police report. I also get full medical treatment free because I am in the military.

I do agree that if you get into an accident, you should get the info on the driver and file a report for your own protection.

Beware the automobile.

Been riding most days for the last 20 yrs (about 12-15 mi day), and knew it was just a matter of time. So, on July 10 it happened just the way I thought it would. I try to stay off the roads as much as possible but it's just as dangerous on a bike path or side walk.
I was on the sidewalk passing a parking lot and got broad sided.
I was lucky. No major injuries just lots of scrapes and black and blues and a wrecked bike. Most drivers never look both ways when entering the road from a lot. I was heading south, she was heading north and looking south at oncoming traffic for a point to jump in.
It happens all the time. I hope I'm safe now for the next twenty years.

Vince

I have been cycling in Toronto, Canada, which has a population of around 4 million, have put about 60 000km on my legs. Have been hit only twice.

First time, was obeying the traffic signals (had the left hand turn signal from the traffic light), and making a left hand turn at an intersection. Some lady was making a right turn on the opposite side of the intersection. She turned to wide and against her traffic signal (which was red), an clipped me. I fell over and did minor damage to self and bike. Collected $500 for repairs and to keep me from going to her insurance company.

Second time I got hit was worse. Just riding along a busy road at about 35km/h. When an old lady pulled out from a side street and smoked me. Me and bike landed on her hood. She hit me, I bounced off delivery van in next lane and then landed on her hood. The police were called, she got charged with "careless driving" & "failing to stop for a traffic sign". Went to court, and walked away with $7500. Due tobike repairs, missed work and so on.

Do I fear getting hit? Do I stay away from busy roads? If these two questions were in my head. I shouldn't be riding. I still ride aggresively, like a sprinter does in the last 100 m in a race. If I get hit again, just more $$ for me. Also getting hit on a busy road, usually driver has to stop because of witness'. On a lonely rode with no witness', why would a driver who hit a cyclist stop??

Memph

I was hit by a car 31 years ago and my body is still suffering from it.

I was riding westbound on 17th Ave Parkway in Denver, keeping up with traffic. Out of the corner of my eye I could see that a gold Chevy Nova (and remember how large they were in the late 60's-early 70's) had blown through the stop sign farthest from me crossing 17th at Dahlia. I slammed on my brakes and tried to peddle sideways! She blew through the second stop sign and my bike went under her car. I didn't luckily, but was pinned under the part of my bike that wasn't smashed flat by the Nova.

She then tried to drive off, and my boyfriend ran over and grabbed her through her open car window. She complained that she was late getting back to work and had to go. Jon memorized her license plate number, and then I dragged myself off the ground bleeding and sat in her car. She then started complaining that I was bleeding in her car!!!! (actually it wasn't her's, it was the work car from the place she worked). She then tried leaving again and my boyfriend reminded her that she would then be arrested for 1) running over me, 2) kidnapping me and 3) leaving the scene of an accident. So she sat *****ing to me while we waited for the police to arrive.

When the police questioned her, they asked if she had seen me. Yes. And then they asked if I had been a semi rather than a bike would she have stopped at the stop signs. Yes. And they hauled her away. Priscilla Dunbar was her name. I hate her to this day. :mad:

That is what I am talking about. Most drivers are ignorant of cyclist and just to impatient to wait a few seconds to pass us safely. So I hurt them where it counts, in their wallet. If they what to be stupid. Then I'll get rich off their stupidity. Hitting a cyclist is going to be 99.9% their fault every time.

Can remember the second time I got hit. The look on the ladies face when she found out how expensive it would be to repair my custom built bike. She wanted to purchase me a bike from like Wal-Mart to replace mine. She was just upset that my bike was worth more then her car.....

Memph

I hate to add to the doom and gloom, but think that it is probably a matter of time before you get hit. I got hit from behind back in February as I cycled home from work (along a nice quite country road, sun behind me and the car driver). Smashed the windscreen with my head, flew over car and hit road hard.... bike and helmet written-off. (Souvenir pic attached).

I came to in the ambulance en route to hospital - main injury was effects of the concussion, from which I'm still recovering. Only now getting back on the (replacement bike - insurance hassles - that's another story).

So am very wary now... and was a bit anxious last night when my teenage son announced that he's like to take up road riding as a sport. Up until now it's been Dad's thing, way too uncool for the kids. Now I face an ethical dilemma - I'm delighted to share my passion with him, and for him to be taking a sport - but how would I feel if HE got hit?

Perhaps I'll try to steer him towards mountain biking....

BTW - I had a good quality helmet that fitted me very well, and that definitely saved my life. Don't try to save money by buying a poorer quality helmet.

Wow, that was some pic. Hope you feel better. I also got hit twice, but shall not give the drivers the benefit of me being worried of another accident. Sorry to say, even if your son takes up mt. biking. Has to ride road to build up strength & endurance.....

Memph

Theses are some great replies! As for myself, I have not been hit, after some 8 or more years of road-riding. I've been honked or yelled at about five or six times and had nothing thrown at me. And I've taken some rediculous risks. Having my wife along most of the times, I believe, has helped with all of that.

I would guess that drivers turning in front of you would be the most likely and probably the most dangerous scenario. I've had them do that to me, but I was prepared. I follow the "Stupid Driver" theory. I have learned to watch for those inevitabilities. You will too.

As for the "bike path," if it is also a walking/roller-skate path, I would say that it IS more dangerous than the road, even if you are less likely to die. The only real injury I've had was on one such -- some kids were acting eratically, and I was watching out for them to run in front of me and went off the raised asphalt edge -- came down on my eyebrow -- stiches.

Did anyone catch the CNN 4-5 minute "how to safely ride your bike" special report last weekend?" It was a Dr. Some-lady and the reporter. She was going on and on, "expert" like about how important the helmet was. And the entire time she wore hers way back on her head with her forehead exposed. The helmet strap was so loose that when she talked her chin dipped back and forth where the strap was slack. I couldn''t believe it!! :eek:

This morning I had yet another near death experience. Cycling to work makes you feel so alive...... Almost everyday I have a close shave but what got me this morning was the reaction to it. I was on the throughfare and was cycling past an exit from 'the inner city bypass' - on a stop sign.... the car that was there decided he could beat me and did. the car after him was so focused on what was coming up the road he didn't even look at what was in front of him. I had to yell - really loud - must get an airhorn- 3 times to get the shocked response... The most distressing thing was my own husband (4x4 driver) asking why I didn't stop for the car? doh? He thinks I'm just asking to be killed. Hell's Teeth, I'd still be there 16 hours later waiting ............

Advice on how to stay calm and continue to give constructive feedback welcome...................

Originally posted by mergirl101
This morning I had yet another near death experience. Cycling to work makes you feel so alive...... Almost everyday I have a close shave but what got me this morning was the reaction to it. I was on the throughfare and was cycling past an exit from 'the inner city bypass' - on a stop sign.... the car that was there decided he could beat me and did. the car after him was so focused on what was coming up the road he didn't even look at what was in front of him. I had to yell - really loud - must get an airhorn- 3 times to get the shocked response... The most distressing thing was my own husband (4x4 driver) asking why I didn't stop for the car? doh? He thinks I'm just asking to be killed. Hell's Teeth, I'd still be there 16 hours later waiting ............

Advice on how to stay calm and continue to give constructive feedback welcome...................

It is sad that they give any moron a drivers licence. Most are ignorant about cyclists or just do not care. We ride our asses off to get in shape, save the environment, etc, yet we are the ones these damn impatient drivers yell at. Like get your fat ass out of the car and try pedalling a bike.

Could always do what I do. It is a great way to lose the stress and teach drivers a lesson. I carry good size rocks with me, and throw them at these morons. What are they going to do. Phone the police and explain why I threw a rock. They would also get charged, "careless driving". Stop, get out of their vehicles and beat me. Go ahead, I'll charge and then sue them. It is a win win situation for me......

Memph

Yes, I've been hit. I'm half an inch shorter now. Crushed parts of T7 and T8 in my spine. However, the helmet did its job. It broke into 3 pieces instead of my head. The kid did what he was trained to- he was watching for other cars, not pedestrians or bikes. He hit the gas at the last second and I didn't have a chance. With that said, being hit is not inevitable, just be ready in case it does happen to you.

On replacing the bike, get a lawyer ( Bummer, I know, but it makes a difference). You will probably max out the drivers insurance. I had a new Cannondale hanging in the rafters waiting for me within 6 weeks. Didn't ride for 6 months but it was there to encourage me in in rehab. You will also probably be able to replace the bike from your own insurance with the insurance companys hagling out the differences later. That is what the lawyer is for. Find one familiar with cycling. I did and it helped.
Just make sure that you at least break even.

I didn't get any "justice" money, but I broke even, I'm riding and talking and telling this story. Coulda' been worse.

Hi.

For people who frequently ride on road.. is it only a matter of time before you get hit?

I'm always thinking about it when I'm on the road, and just pray it never happens to me.. had a close call the other day.

Who here frequently rides on the road and has never been hit, and who has been hit.

Mathematically, it’s a question of probabilities.

P = 1- (1-p)**n where

P = probability of being hit over n rides, p = probability of being hit during a ride, n = number of rides.

The 1-p term is actually the odds of not being hit in a given ride. The probability of not being hit over some number of rides is the product of the probabilities of all the rides. Since we assume it to be the same for each ride, the (1-p) can be raised to the nth power. The result is the probability of not being hit over n rides. 1-(1-p)**n is therefore the probability of being hit over n rides.

For example, if the odds are 1/1000000 of being hit in any given ride and the number of rides one takes is 10,000, the odds of being hit sometime during the 10,000 rides are roughly 1%.

A better expression might be to substitute the rate of accidents per mile (kilometer) for p and the number of miles (kilometers) ridden for n. In the case of the 24 deaths per billion kilometers (from Austrailia?), that works out to be 0.12% over 50,000 kilometers.

Both of these cases are hypothetical. I searched the net for some statistics but I didn't find any data on per ride or per mile death rates. Of the data I did find, the UK seems to be up on this issue more so than the US. From the equations one could conclude that it requires a great amount of riding to present any serious risk.

Comparing these rates to the probability of dying of heart disease from sitting on my butt, I'll be cycling, thank-you.

I’ve been hit twice. The first time the car pulled across my path and stopped. I didn’t even have time to brake. The second time a car turned into a gas station and hit me from the side. Both bikes were ruined and I was left limping. The insurance companies paid for the doctors and the purchase price of the bikes. In retrospect, I think what the insurance agent wanted most was my signature on a release form. Next time that’s going to cost them.

Hi.

Would have been hit by a car, but I heard it comming and shot into someones yard. It's a sad thing but true, that some of us will be injuried by drivers who don't care about our safety.