Getting hit by a car, is it a matter of time?

G

Hi.

For people who frequently ride on road.. is it only a matter of time before you get hit?

I'm always thinking about it when I'm on the road, and just pray it never happens to me.. had a close call the other day.

Who here frequently rides on the road and has never been hit, and who has been hit.

Share your stories please.

Never been hit in about 100,000km, although I got swipped a couple of times, but never knocked off or hurt, so they don't count ;D

Your odds of getting killed are quite slim, on feeways in australia we average about 4.5 deaths per billion KM travelled. Mind you on country roads its about 24 deaths per billion KM travelled.

It is something that I think about everytime I'm on the road though :(

I've been close a few times. Motorists often mis-judge the speed of an oncoming cyclist. I try and avoid roads that I know or experience as hazardous. Sometimes it's difficult, but if you've almost been knocked over 3 times at the same intersection, obviously there is something wrong.
Another thing I try and do is anticipate driver action. For example, if a vehicle is standing next to the road, always assume that it's going to drive off as soon as you reach it. That way your defences are up and ready. Whenever I see a car, I expect the driver to do something stupid. Premeditation has saved my butt a few times.

That's a good course of action to take Vo2. But it sucks that we even have to look out for the cars, we should just be able to ride knowing that the drivers are courteous enough to respect us on the road too.

What sucks, is that the government spend a lot of money on advertising cycling, and exercise for the public, but they don't want to build the cycle paths for the public in the suburban areas. (Not in the city centre).

That is the biggest thing stopping more people from taking up cycling as a form of transport.

been hit only once. Did not come off though. Lots of close calls too.

That's a good course of action to take Vo2. But it sucks that we even have to look out for the cars, we should just be able to ride knowing that the drivers are courteous enough to respect us on the road too.

What sucks, is that the government spend a lot of money on advertising cycling, and exercise for the public, but they don't want to build the cycle paths for the public in the suburban areas. (Not in the city centre).

I, too, find that a little anti-motorist bigotry is an extremely useful safety device. I'm not talking about trying to physically attack drivers or anything extreme like that, but I take the "stupid until proven otherwise" view. Being prepared for the worst-case scenario is a good idea when it happens.

I have actually been hit three times by cars, and once by an egg thrown from a car (good thing I was wearing my helmet on that one, at least I know I can be seen at night, now), but I've never suffered so much as a bruise as a result. Maybe I've just been lucky.

However, I don't subscribe to the theory that bikepaths are necessarily the answer. My (admittedly limited) experience of them is that they are more dangerous than any road I have ever ridden (and I've ridden the supposedly dangerous Burringbar Range quite a few times). I've also read statistics from the US indicating that cyclist death rates are three times higher on bikepaths than on the road.

Roads with good shoulders please, but bikepaths... I'll pass on that one.

I can't see how bikepaths can be dangerous?

Unless we are speaking of some other form of bikepath.

The bikepaths I speak of, are paths which are completely set aside from roads and used for the sole purpose of either pedestrians walking or cyclists cycling. And the odd rollerblader too.

How anyone could manage to die on one of these paths I'm not sure?

I also agree that normal roads with proper bike lanes are a great and viable alternative as well.

How anyone could manage to die on one of these paths I'm not sure?

The re-entry point to the road is the most dangerous feature about bikepaths. It might be a nice fantasy to say that we can have a bikepath that stretches for miles uninterrupted. The fact is, in most cities, the road infrastructure is too great for that to happen.

If you want to go anywhere, sooner or later you'll have to use the road (or at least, cross it). The fact is, if you're already on the road, you're far more likely to be seen by a driver (either on that road or on a crossroad) than if you're on a path, where they won't be looking.

A point worth considering. On the road, only about 3% of bike/car accidents are caused by the bike being hit from behind. The rest happen at crossroads or being hit from the side. The fact is, in such a situation, you're more likely to be seen by a driver on the road because this is where they are generally looking.

If you really intend to bike a lot, my advice is to get proficient at dealing with traffic on the road because a)you'll sooner or later have to do so; and b)it really is the safest place to be.

I expect the driver to do something stupid.

Definitely the way to approach the road. If it looks like he hasn't seen you ....Then he hasn't.

Thank you all for putting me off buying a road bike :D

. The rest happen at crossroads or being hit from the side. The fact is, in such a situation, you're more likely to be seen by a driver on the road because this is where they are generally looking.

but some are generally not looking very well as i found out :p so being carefull is the way to go , as i am but it does not eliminate the possibility though what are the odds of it happening again? ok im trying to think positive ;)

Got hit by a car once, turned right in front of me. Tried to avoid it but no luck. The skidmarks on the road measured 10 meters. Flew right over her car and landed on my head. Luckily I didn't have any serious injuries, only one hell of a headache for a few weeks, but my bike was totally written off. While I was in hospital waiting for x-rays to be taken, my son (5years at the time) asked my husband if I died. Gee, I seriously considered to stop cycling. From that day I am a lot more cautious on the road and think for every motorist that I encounter. And you do get really stupid motorists out there!!!

thats pretty much what happend to me but i did not have any time to brake so i hit the car at 45khp. My legs and knees where sore for 2 weeks how did your legs fair? Did you manage to get the money to get a new bike out of the car drivers insurance? . Im looking into legal advise as the person said "cant talk to you" and hang up. i rang after not hearing back about my letter . It also shows how people can be #@$#@$ bad ;) . It wont stop me getting on the bike again ;) id have to die for that too happen. i cant wait to get back into it on my new bike. i can wait for my bank statement though ;D ;D :eek: :-/ :'(

If the driver is in the wrong....then they will pay

I take it you got his/her details? have you tried contacting their insurance company? what did they say?

If they dont wanna know about you, maybe you should get some legal advice!

Failing that......you could always stalk the ****er for a few weeks.......then on a dark and storming night you could car-jack the mutha ***** at a set of traffic lights and teach the ****er a lesson with a baseball bat

or

you could forgive him/her and move on

cheers

If the driver is in the wrong....then they will pay

I take it you got his/her details? have you tried contacting their insurance company? what did they say?

If they dont wanna know about you, maybe you should get some legal advice!

Unfortunately, that seems to be the way everything's going these days. I've never really been one to say "sue the M/F", but I'd do so if the bike was totally written off or if it was an expensive repair. If it wasn't however, I'd probably just...

you could forgive him/her and move on

... that is, of course, after calling the police. They might get fined or at least receive a reminder phone call about "road safety". ;D

I've been hit recently.

Unfortunately we share the road with motorists who don't LOOK :eek:
My bike was completely destroyed and I was injured and am still recovering.
The driver of the vehicle was fined for not giving way.
I lost a weeks pay as well as a $4500 bike.
When insurance is sorted out and I recieve my 'insult' money , I'll be lucky if I can replace it with a rusty malvern star.
Been riding for 20years , this is the first time I've had a ride on some arseholes bonnet.
cheers

I've been hit recently.

Unfortunately we share the road with motorists who don't LOOK :eek:
My bike was completely destroyed and I was injured and am still recovering.
The driver of the vehicle was fined for not giving way.
I lost a weeks pay as well as a $4500 bike.
When insurance is sorted out and I recieve my 'insult' money , I'll be lucky if I can replace it with a rusty malvern star.
Been riding for 20years , this is the first time I've had a ride on some arseholes bonnet.
cheers

Why wont you get enough to cover the cost of the bike?

This insurance company thinks of bikes as 'toys'. It will be hard to gain full replacement value.
I think it boils down to a lack of understanding on their part and also a bit o 'good ol corporate greed' (you know typical insurers).
$400-$500 if I'm lucky.

I don't understand it myself , however I'm going for full replacement value,if I don't get it from the insurance company , then the ******** who ran into me can pay.

This insurance company thinks of bikes as 'toys'. It will be hard to gain full replacement value.
I think it boils down to a lack of understanding on their part and also a bit o 'good ol corporate greed' (you know typical insurers).
$400-$500 if I'm lucky.

I don't understand it myself , however I'm going for full replacement value,if I don't get it from the insurance company , then the ******** who ran into me can pay.

Your from australia right? i've never had a problem getting money out of insurance companies, a bike its either worth 4-5k or its not its pretty black and white really. Dont let 'em **** with ya ;)

cheers!

Yes I'm from Australia.

Sweet, welcome to the forum :)

So how'd you get hit?

Toady I heard someone aged 45 in got killed in Warragul, apparently he was a member of the racing club. Not sure of any other details but this sort of thing happens to much IMO.

cheers!