getting in shape help

MTB_NUT

May 17, 2007
hello all,im cycling around 75 miles a week on my mtb after work and im trying to get back in to shape after leting myself slide,im looking for advice on whats best to eat really as i just cant seem to lose my belly,i dont drink or smoke and im pretty fit,also whats best to eat before and during a ride,at the moment i drink a dunns river nurishment before and eat nutrigrain bars while riding,but really i dont no if this is helping or hindering me,,,,cheers for any advice:)

I'm in the same process you are, just a little further into it.
What I did was reduce fat and simple carbs (like white bread, soda, salad dressing, etc) and eat smaller, more frequent meals. Also, have snacks with you to curb any hunger pangs you get; a small bag of almonds works for me (it needs to be something filling). Apples are good too.
Don't worry about losing weight on the bike. Eat what you must to prevent bonking and dehydration, same as everyone. I eat a power bar ( or whatever) about every 15-20 miles. You may want more or less.
The goal is to eat less over all. That's really all there is to it. Fat is ok, as long as your total calories are under control. For instance, if you have pizza, have one or two slices.
I went from 235 to 185, and I'm still losing. The belly is the last thing to go, so be patient!

Ben,
How long did it take you? I'm right about 235 now and have just started back on the bike. I'm thinking probably 3-4 months to get below 200. Does that sound about right? I know it will depend on my exercise, food intake etc. but thought I'd see what your experience was. Thanks, Greg

Guys, get yourselves a copy of Joe Friel's The Mountain Biker's Training Bible (Velo Press). I've just read his road bike equivalent Cyclist's Training Bible (it was sent by mistake), and the info in there is excellent. Hopefully I'll have the MTB version within the week.

The information on diet and planning your cycling workload for your desired result is, in my view, indispensible for success. It's so easy to make the mistake that high-intensity workouts as often as you can are the way to go, and then wonder why you're dreadfully fatigued, lacking motivation, performing poorly at work, and no lighter!

The information in this book not only explains why this happens, but helps you avoid it and all the related potentially serious health and motivation problems. In the process it will teach you an important new word: periodization.

Check out the reviews and preview on amazon. I'm sure there is other material out there of similar quality. This one just made a lot of sense to me and gave a lot of really practical and usable advice.

Hope this helps.

gt3413 said:
Ben,
How long did it take you? I'm right about 235 now and have just started back on the bike. I'm thinking probably 3-4 months to get below 200. Does that sound about right? I know it will depend on my exercise, food intake etc. but thought I'd see what your experience was. Thanks, Greg
It took me about 6 months to drop 35. It was not easy, but it's not the most impossible goal by any means. don't worry about your weight at all. Just make the changes and go by how you feel and look. Once you start seeing some results, it will be easy to keep going. Just go slow at first.
Let me know how it's going sometime via PM.

Will do. I bought a used cannondale r600 today and just got back from my 1st ride. Here in a couple of weeks I plan on starting bi-wkly rides with my LBS. Next its on to Arkansas on the weekend to ride with another group of guys. Should be fun. I'll keep ya posted. Greg