Getting Into Flatland Biking

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Ukflatland, Apr 18, 2003.

  1. Ukflatland

    Ukflatland Guest

    Hey,

    Im sure many of you will not know what flatland is. Well, it is a sport where you can express
    youself through tricks based on the ground which require a lot of balance and skill.

    It is an amazing sport to get into, check http://www.ukflatland.com for more information on
    the sport.

    Tags:

  2. B. Sanders

    B. Sanders Guest

    "ukflatland" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hey,
    >
    > Im sure many of you will not know what flatland is. Well, it is a sport where you can express
    > youself through tricks based on the ground which require a lot of balance and skill.
    >
    > It is an amazing sport to get into, check http://www.ukflatland.com for more information on
    > the sport.

    Had a look. The website is definitely "form over function." There is essentially no content. Kinda
    useless in its current state.

    Does the world need yet another micro-subdivision of bicycle eventing?

    -Barry

  3. Buck

    Buck Guest

    "B. Sanders" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:sTUna.510984

    > Had a look. The website is definitely "form over function." There is essentially no content. Kinda
    > useless in its current state.

    It would also help if you put a "what the heck is flatland biking?" section on the site. You assume
    that all visitors know what you are talking about before they stop by. Big mistake. If you want
    traffic, you better tell them what it is you are talking about in the first place (and a post on a
    newsgroup isn't good enough).

    Using a few pictures of "flatlanders" in action instead of the goofy "art" would get the point of
    the website across more quickly.

    -Buck

  4. kh6zv9

    kh6zv9 Guest

    Buck <j u n k m a i l @ g a l a x y c o r p . c o m> wrote:
    : "B. Sanders" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:sTUna.510984

    :> Had a look. The website is definitely "form over function." There is essentially no content.
    :> Kinda useless in its current state.

    : It would also help if you put a "what the heck is flatland biking?" section

    Flatland biking is a place on the tour that you had better have plenty of patches handy.

    --------------------------------
    Bob Masse' [email protected]
    --------------------------------

  5. Jeff Potter

    Jeff Potter Guest

    This is all understatement. There is NOTHING at this site that says anything about what this
    is. Kooky!

    --

    Jeff Potter [email protected] http://OutYourBackdoor.com -- a friendly ezine of modern
    folkways and culture revival...offering a line of alternative books and a world of bikes, boats,

  6. B. Sanders

    B. Sanders Guest

    "Jeff Potter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > This is all understatement. There is NOTHING at this site that says
    anything
    > about what this is. Kooky!

    You got it. I was just trying to be nice :)

    As a web designer with a deep streak of practicality and a focus on useability and clarity of
    content, I would have to rate the Flatland website as "not pretty, but useless." Basically, a
    waste of time.

    This is illustrative of my head-on collision with graphic designers. I have no problem with making
    things pretty (or at least highly decorative), as long as they're also useful. Of course, sometimes
    web design crosses over into the art realm - it's just for looks, with or without meaningful visual
    metaphor and/or textual poetry, video artistry. This is where it gets tricky. Perhaps the designers
    of the Flatland website see wasting my time as an artistic statement. Is that valid? Who is to say?

    It isn't my worry about offending that makes me go easy on web designers, it's my attempt at keeping
    an open mind to new forms of expression. That's not always easy, especially for old guys.

    -Barry

    > --
    >
    > Jeff Potter [email protected] http://OutYourBackdoor.com -- a friendly ezine of modern
    > folkways and culture revival...offering a line of alternative books and a world of bikes, boats,
    > skis...plus shops for great sleeper books, videos and music ...plus nationwide "Off the Beaten
    > Path" travel forums for local fun, bumperstickers and a new social magnet stickers! ...Holy
    > Smokes!!!

  7. Tom Keats

    Tom Keats Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, "B. Sanders" <[email protected]> writes:

    > Does the world need yet another micro-subdivision of bicycle eventing?

    Yes! At least, the kids need it, especially in these times when youth interest in cycling seems to
    be flagging.

    Flatland is a BMX style that young people can truly call their own, and nestle it in their
    [sub]culture without danger of cultural/generational/corporate appropriation. If it gets them onto
    bikes, it's fine by me.

    The style is uncluttered by specially-constructed ramps, halfpipes and walls, so just about
    /anybody/ with the right bike (and young enough body) can work at it, regardless of income or
    environment. I say "work at it", because acquiring and honing the essential skills is very
    demanding; the tricks are very impressive.

    As a sometime spectator, I've sensed a sort of Zen-like interrelationship between bike, rider and
    terrain that is quite distinct from what might be noticed in other types of riding. I guess it's
    because there's a certain degree of minimalism involved -- just a bike, a rider, and an empty
    parking lot or some other little bit of empty space to ride in.

    Watching them makes me rue my own many wasted years; if I were 30 or so (okay, 40) years younger,
    I'd join 'em. But my hat's off to the young people who are into it. Besides, it gives them something
    to do other than spray-painting graffiti on buildings, or knocking over portable toilets at
    construction sites.

    Yes, Flatland is needed. It belongs to the younger folks though, and that's how it should be. The
    kids are alright.

    cheers, Tom