getting into power training

Mac_Biker

May 16, 2010
I've had some time off the bike and would like to get back into it. Most of my training time will be in the early morning hours on the trainer. I work a normal job, so evenings are usually reserved for the wife. I'm training for weekend rides and the occasional crits. As of now I would rate myself as a 5/10 for fitness.

I would like to train with power to maximize my early morning hours.

Which powermeter should I get?

I'm considering a used one off ebay. Seems like I'll be able to get a powertap built wheel for around 400$.

Or should I try to get a new wireless powertap?
SRM?

Is wireless much better than the wired version?

I have a campy setup on my orbea. And I own a mac.

Thanks.

no repsonses?

went to a bike store today. weren't terribly helpful. he wasn't sure if i could use a campy cassette on their "comp" system. and that it may take some time, because it may not be in stock. he just took my name down and said he'll call me once he finds out more information. over the email he quoted me 725+tax with an openpro wheel. but for now, he'll have to research it and that was that.

i know for a fact that you can run campy on it. seen it on ebay and competitive cyclist and ebay.

i'm seriously considering getting a used one off ebay for 450.

how are used powertaps like?
do you guys recommend it?
or should i wait for the bike store which may or may not get back with me?
or get a new one from the mentioned websites for 659+shipping no tax.

thanks.

I didn't get a Powertap...I just thought it was too limiting having a power meter stuck to a certain wheel. I got a Quarq instead and love it. It takes me just a couple of minutes to change the crank from one bike to another if needed. I use with Garmin 705, but not too impressed with the Garmin for the money. Had them both for a year and not had one single problem. I would highly recommend this set up over a PT or wait another few months for the new powermeter that is coming out in the spindle of the pedals. This will be even more portable.

Mac_Biker said:
no repsonses?

went to a bike store today. weren't terribly helpful. he wasn't sure if i could use a campy cassette on their "comp" system. and that it may take some time, because it may not be in stock. he just took my name down and said he'll call me once he finds out more information. over the email he quoted me 725+tax with an openpro wheel. but for now, he'll have to research it and that was that.

i know for a fact that you can run campy on it. seen it on ebay and competitive cyclist and ebay.

i'm seriously considering getting a used one off ebay for 450.

how are used powertaps like?
do you guys recommend it?
or should i wait for the bike store which may or may not get back with me?
or get a new one from the mentioned websites for 659+shipping no tax.

thanks.

I am pretty sure that there are some problems running a powertap with a campy 11 speed set up. I would look into this before purchasing anything.