Getting into Tri's

Pingpong1455

Sep 25, 2011
What do you say to someone who has interest in triathlons ??? I am currently "training" for one in spring hopefully (sprint most likely).

Any basic tips i guess ? things along those lines.

Thanks !!

currently solving the bike issue here http://www.cyclingforums.com/t/487503/i-m-looking-for-a-new-bike-but-have-some-questions

Just do it. A spint TRI is a very achievable goal. In my area, there are special triathlons set up primarily for first timers - look around for an event that is noob oriented. For many, the most daunting part is the swim. Practice and or take lessons if swimming is not your strong suit.

You have all fall and winter to train, don't procrastinate.

I am in the same boat and was told to be sure I am comfortable swimming twice the distance of a sprint tri before ever trying one.

Welcome to the fold.

Before anything, you need to start building your base NOW. Sprinkle some interval work into your run since you're doing a sprint. But you're a runner, so I don't have to tell you this.

1- You need to find a race that takes place early in the season (2012) that way you can sign up for another if you really enjoyed your first. Keep an eye on the web page for the race and sign up ASAP, this will establish your commitment to the event.

2 - After you find this first race, come up with a workout plan to get you ready

3 - Once you have the workout plan, attack it full force and listen to your body, train smart and get your recovery in

4 - Sprinkle some brick workouts into the plan, experiment going from a swim to a run and experience what that is like, same with a bike/run workout.

5 - Adjust your diet accordingly.

A sprint is very achievable, but it depends on how you attack it. If you just want to complete it (which should be your goal, period) then you will be fine, as long as you have put in your work.

As far as the swim goes, most athletes distribute training times allocating the least amount of time to swim practice, which makes sense since this is the shortest of the three disciplines. However, depending how strong you are in the water you may want to put in more time in the pool. I did this last winter (3 X per week, 3000 meter workouts on average per session) and it got me a PR on my first event of the season it also gave me the confidence to start off from the front and inside.

Realistically, you should be applying yourself to the discipline in which you are weakest.

Reactions: roadtrip
[SIZE=10.5pt]Enjoy it and always put into mind that to finish one is already an achievement even if you do not have a place and podium finish. Take training seriously because some just enter without really training and end up being a DNF (did not finish) player. The swimming part is very delicate especially in open water because it might be risky for some who are not confident and may end up drowning. Follow the person in front of you and do some “sighting” once in a while so would not go astray. [/SIZE]

I'm currently training for a marathon and aspiring to enter triathlons too. The most important advice I've learned when it comes to races is to learn to conserve your energy throughout the race so that you'll end with a strong finish. I hope your goal at this point is to just finish the race injury-free. In that case, learn to keep a consistent pace in any event. It helps that you can find out where you are weakest ( swimming or cycling), find out your pace for this particular event and see how you can improve it.

This is really basic advice, but make sure you can actually complete each component on its own in the time that you hope to do it in. I've known people only train the swim and the cycle race, or the cycling and the running, and get totally stumped in the actual event when they do the third leg that they hadn't trained. Like I say, basic, but often overlooked.

If you're not a swimmer or don't come from much of a swimming background like I did, don't just jump into a race. Find a swim coach or a local swim club and learn the basics so that you're comfortable in the water and you know how fast you can swim for you race distance. That way when it comes to race day you know where to start and can start planning and executing your race the way you want to.

I would also like to start participating in triathlons. However it is a little bit overwhelming because I don't really swim and I don't bike. I have my first marathon a week from Saturday. I am in decent shape (for me). I have never biked other than when I was a kid. However I would like to start riding and swimming and try a triathlon. I played a sport at a decent level and would like to continue to stay healthy and challenge myself in a some new areas. I am looking for some help so I can start riding. What do you think?