Getting it into perspective

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Mr [email protected] \ -Lsqco, Feb 9, 2003.

  1. Recently people complained there were too many crash reports on here.

    However, I've been on this group for over a year now, and amongst all the other stuff people had
    *always* posted reports of crashes -either their own or ones they had read about in their local
    press and its only *now* people have made a fuss about the amount of these!

    I regularly read Police force press releases for all SE forces (usually on the force website)- its
    perhaps a hangover from my days in the rave scene when I *needed* to see how the old bill reported
    upon our scene (sometimes in a legal grey area). I don't go raving any more, but being a cyclist and
    now concerned about road safety I decided to keep reading the coppers' pressreleases.

    And yes - I did read a LOT of road crash reports. And guess what? 98% of these involved cagers
    either striking *another car*, or an *inanimate object*.

    This does not in any way diminish the real and present danger bad driving presents to us cyclists;
    and I am worried that there *has* recently been a spate of nasty incidents and in issue of bad
    driving in the Hull area which could even be a "reprisal" against speed control measures deployed in
    that area (it *must* be bad if an experienced cyclist like Simon M was getting worried).

    Perhaps the Police in Hull should be informed (do they have any of their number patrolling
    on bikes?)

    However, despite a years monitoring of accident reports in my area (Thames Valley), I do not find
    any particular trend that would make cycling in any way more unsafe than any other outdoor activity
    on the roads - and (if you can avoid crashes with vehicles) it may even have a net gain in health
    and fitness!

    In fact I think I can count the cycling incidents on the fingers on one hand, whilst I would lose
    count of the number of car RTCs I have read about in my area.

    There *are* some scum, psychos and bad drivers out there - but certainly not enough to frighten me
    off cycling, nor should it really deter any others (and I do not consider myself to be particularly
    "brave" or "macho"). At the same time, I do not find any reason to "censor" posts to keep "good news
    only" on here. That is the sort of destructive spin that devalues an otherwise good message.

    Be careful out there, but keep riding!

    Alex

    Tags:

  2. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    "Mr [email protected] (2.3 zulu-alpha) [comms room new build]" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > This does not in any way diminish the real and present danger bad driving presents to us cyclists;
    > and I am worried that there *has* recently been a spate of nasty incidents and in issue of bad
    > driving in the Hull area
    which
    > could even be a "reprisal" against speed control measures deployed in that area (it *must* be bad
    > if an experienced cyclist like Simon M was getting worried).

    It was an irrational fear, much the same as if you were in an area where two shootings had taken
    place in quick succession. It just so happens that there were two cycling deaths one after the
    other so it highlighted the risk for a while. I didn't feel so edgy on last night's 20 mile run.

  3. In news:[email protected], Simon Mason <[email protected]> typed:

    >> control measures deployed in that area (it *must* be bad if an experienced cyclist like Simon M
    >> was getting worried).
    >
    > It was an irrational fear, much the same as if you were in an area where two shootings had taken
    > place in quick succession. It just so happens that there were two cycling deaths one after the
    > other so it highlighted the risk for a while. I didn't feel so edgy on last night's 20 mile run.

    I'm glad to hear it doesn't appear to be *that* bad - although it did seem odd the number of crashes
    the appeared to occur in Hull within a short period of time, and wasn't the road rage nutter from
    the Hull area? I suppose the area is no worse than anywhere else.

    Incidentally thanks to a thriving hard drugs trade and associated criminality shootings are becoming
    more common in Reading; though not enough to make me consider wearing a ballistic vest as *well* as
    a high-viz one! ;)

    *Fear* (to the point you are scared of doing something enjoyable) *is* irrational - but not
    *vigilance*. I tend to treat *all* motorists as *potential* idiots/nutters and give them a wide
    berth if possible or have a planned "escape route". Seems to keep me out of trouble...

    Alex