Getting it right for 2006

AndROOb

Nov 20, 2004
My 2006 season will be made up from 10, 25, and a few 50 mile time trials, I might even do a '100' later in the season.
I have been prescribed low intensity base training on the bike, and gym work on the upper body only, plus some 'concept 2' rowing machine work between now and new year.
I have read so much negative stuff about gym work being of any benefit to cycling that I am now unsure whether to continue with it. It would certainly save me some money if I did!
My other questioning is to do with low intensity base training;
If I structure small amounts of high-intensity cycle training throughout the winter months, with plenty of recovery and base training, will this not keep my cardiovascular system conditioned, and more prepared for when I start to do more high intensity work in the new year?
The idea of doing only <140bpm (max HR= 184bpm) till January gives me the feeling that my HR will take a shock when I start doing nasty high-intensity intervals in the new year.
I am very determined to optimise my training so that I can make some noticeable improvements next season, so I will appreciate any advice.
Present level TT's:
10: 23.30.
25: 1.01.59.
50: 2.19.30.
100: ?

AndROOb said:
My 2006 season will be made up from 10, 25, and a few 50 mile time trials, I might even do a '100' later in the season.
I have been prescribed low intensity base training on the bike, and gym work on the upper body only, plus some 'concept 2' rowing machine work between now and new year.
I have read so much negative stuff about gym work being of any benefit to cycling that I am now unsure whether to continue with it. It would certainly save me some money if I did!
My other questioning is to do with low intensity base training;
If I structure small amounts of high-intensity cycle training throughout the winter months, with plenty of recovery and base training, will this not keep my cardiovascular system conditioned, and more prepared for when I start to do more high intensity work in the new year?
The idea of doing only <140bpm (max HR= 184bpm) till January gives me the feeling that my HR will take a shock when I start doing nasty high-intensity intervals in the new year.
I am very determined to optimise my training so that I can make some noticeable improvements next season, so I will appreciate any advice.
Present level TT's:

moderate to high intensity (cycle) training will keep your cardiovascular system 'conditioned'. Just doing lots of low intensity, traditional volume base work, will for most people result in a loss of fitness. By and large i would only prescribe such training for the riders i coach for a specific reason, which may include a few weeks of such training post season (for e.g., i've just completed ~2.5 weeks of low intensity, volume work and am now moving things back up a gear for the 2006 season).

Cross training is unlikely to have a positive effect on your cycling and maybe detrimental -- especially if it 'takes' time away from your cycling.

Personally, if i never went above ~75% of my HRmax i'd not get up the hills that are around here. In general there's no real reason why you should so severely limit your intensity.

Ric

Thanks for you response Ric, I appreciate you input. Can you give me some kind of insight as to how to build the intensity of my training over winter (given the kind of events I plan to ride)?

AndROOb said:
Thanks for you response Ric, I appreciate you input. Can you give me some kind of insight as to how to build the intensity of my training over winter (given the kind of events I plan to ride)?
Hi ! If I may add my 2cents, I would ask you :
- What are your weak points?
- What kind of season did you have in 2005?
- Was your 2005 preparation season (automn2004 and winter2005) to your entire satisfaction?

The level of concentration we can acheive during winter, makes it a good season to better prepare to improve over those weak points.

Also, modifications made to a plan, are in part, in reaction to what has been done the year(s) before. We try to explain the success that we had, as well as the failures. And we make carefull modification based on that.

My own case, for example, is very simple. My weak points where result of a flaw in the 2005 preparation season. Lack of basic endurance on the wind trainer (remember me? I'm the one who ask you about the Tacx Flow...). My performances on the hills (specially off the saddle) where also very disapointing this year.

So on top of a general preparation program, with a bit of everything, I'll add more time doing intensity work off the saddle (long intervals), and I will spend more time on the trainer, less time cross country skiing.

I'll spend a bit of time doing weight lifting. No leg exercices, no legpress, no squat nothing. I'll be doing mid and upper body. But that is because otherwise, I may have joint problems (I know it from past years experience). I will be doing 2 sets of 15, no more, I don't want to spend to much time there. I also want to save my glyco for where I really need it. A touch of weight lifting does not improve cycling. But I may improve general physical condition, which in turn, may help to do better during a difficult competition season.

As for the rowing machine? To me it sounds like an absolute waist of time. Only good for fishing:)

AndROOb said:

Present level TT's:
Great question. I have similar personal goals. They're pretty much the same ones from year to year. I just try to improve my times.

30 min TT
60 min TT
50 mile TT
100 ... not likely unless I have a very good year.

Hopefully, the more learned of the forum will help out. Unfortunately, last Winter I was severly hampered by reoccuring bouts of bronchitis even doing low intensity work so I got off to a very late start. Low humidity and cold weather are hard on this old man.

I can tell you this, however, I'm not going to be doing hours on end of base work on the trainer this Winter so some of my training will have to include intervals and harder efforts.

I know you now DM, from our discussion in an other post, so I'll risk a joke.
Doctor Morbius said:
Great question. I have similar personal goals. They're pretty much the same ones from year to year. I just try to improve my times.

30 min TT
60 min TT....
Well DM, no matter how good your training will be this winter, next season, your 30 min TT will probably takes you.... 30 min:D

Just kiddin' I know exactly what you mean, I have the same goals. Not next year, the year after. Next year I want to improve in long and intense group rides, and in long hills.

Doctor Morbius said:
... I can tell you this, however, I'm not going to be doing hours on end of base work on the trainer this Winter so some of my training will have to include intervals and harder efforts.
Winter time is a good occasion to do some quality workouts. In Canada, we don't have the choice. We can't afford spending 5 or 6 month neglecting intensity work. No way.

AndROOb said:

difficult to say, depending on your time available for training, your goals, current fitness, equipment available, motivation, and when your goals need to be completed by. In short, don't slack off, but also, don't trash yourself training at too high an intensity. RST Zone 3 and 4 work is very useful.

Obviously, i think the best way to get your improvements is with coaching, which we can help you with.

ric

SolarEnergy said:
Hi ! If I may add my 2cents, I would ask you :
- What are your weak points?
Steep hills - I can go up them but only slowly, and I plan to really work on this aspect.

SolarEnergy said:
- What kind of season did you have in 2005?
2005 season in summary was my first full season doing time trials, and I started off well, but speed of improvement was slow, and got slower.
I now realise that I was entering too many events, and I was not allowing myself to recover fully between events.

SolarEnergy said:
- Was your 2005 preparation season (automn2004 and winter2005) to your entire satisfaction?
:)
In september 2004, I was involved in a minor accident with a car, which left me with more psychological damage than anything, and I didn't really get properly 'dialled in' again until late december, so my base suffered from this. Continuing from this point, I got out and made some improvements before the start of the season, but essentially my preparation could have been heaps better from starting earlier, and having more structure.

ric_stern/RST said:
Obviously, i think the best way to get your improvements is with coaching, which we can help you with.

ric
I am hoping to contact you about coaching in about a month (finances permitting) , but I also want to get a powertap hub. Which should come first?

AndROOb said:
Steep hills - I can go up them but only slowly, and I plan to really work on this aspect.

2005 season in summary was my first full season doing time trials, and I started off well, but speed of improvement was slow, and got slower.
I now realise that I was entering too many events, and I was not allowing myself to recover fully between events.

In september 2004, I was involved in a minor accident with a car, which left me with more psychological damage than anything, and I didn't really get properly 'dialled in' again until late december, so my base suffered from this. Continuing from this point, I got out and made some improvements before the start of the season, but essentially my preparation could have been heaps better from starting earlier, and having more structure.
You considered building a plan with Ric, that is a great idea.

Till then, at least you know that your base training was deficient last year, and that your hill training should be improved.

BTW, someone else has answer my post on Tacx Flow Ergometer. He gave me a web link of an article about non-precision of the power read out of the device. So I may plan to buy a Powertap hub, and use it along with a more conventional wind trainer.

Cheers

AndROOb said:
I am hoping to contact you about coaching in about a month (finances permitting) , but I also want to get a powertap hub. Which should come first?

We're currently running a promotion until Friday 11th November, where we are selling Power Taps with a 10% discount along with coaching, and you receive one months free coaching with the Espoir-Power, Classic, Elite, and Professional Coaching packages. Our website is currently being updated to reflect the new Espoir-Power package, and a change (to include training with power) for the Classic package and a new lower price.

Ric

I will have to buy a second-hand unit, as I cannot afford to buy a new PT hub, and then have it built up with a rim. This would also allow me to pay for some coaching at an earlier stage.