Getting my first bike tomorrow...

greenville

Aug 22, 2009
I am going to pick up my new bike tomorrow afternoon (Bianchi Via Nirone) and I am pumped. As this is my first road bike, I am sure tons of questions will arise. My first question is how long my first ride should be/how long was yours? I am in pretty good shape and have good endurance (from other endurance sports), but have no idea what to shoot for on my first ride. Also, any tips off the top of your head for a newcomer? Thanks for any advice!

greenville said:
I am going to pick up my new bike tomorrow afternoon (Bianchi Via Nirone) and I am pumped. As this is my first road bike, I am sure tons of questions will arise. My first question is how long my first ride should be/how long was yours? I am in pretty good shape and have good endurance (from other endurance sports), but have no idea what to shoot for on my first ride. Also, any tips off the top of your head for a newcomer? Thanks for any advice!
Why don't you just sort of "play it by ear" so to speak. Take your bike to a nice open area with no traffic, something like an office parking lot after hours, or maybe even better, a big open field if it is dry. You want to practice clipping in and out of your pedals and you will get much less road rash in a field. Other than that, just stay local for your first rides until you can feel when it is time to turn around and go home. And remember, you are still getting used to your bike so take it easy!

One last thing, don't forget the "accessories" such as a helmet, a hydration system, and the gear for fixing a flat(inner tube patch kit, extra tube, tire levers, CO2 inflator and/or mini-pump, all in a seat bag). These are kinda mandatory from the gitgo. Cycling shorts, jerseys, etc. are nice to have but not really needed until you start riding longer rides.

For other tips, check out the thread at the top of Road Cycling called Tip of the Day. If you read through all of the mini-flame wars going on there, you will actually run into real tips.