Getting my first bike

dm3553

Jul 21, 2009
Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum and I need some help/suggestions. I've decided to get my first road bike, but I don't really know what I'm looking for. I'll be using the bike to commute to school, and for training. I'm looking for a bike that will last me a long time, and if I ever got serious, I could use the bike effectively for races.

So does anyone have any specific bike recommendations? Also, how much money will I have to spend to get everything I'm looking for? Thanks in advance for any of your help.

I have always bought Schwinn and I like them, but like a dumbass I only bought ten speeds. I have bought two. The problem is when you get fit you run out of gears. I used to buy steel too, but I'm about to buy a new bike and from what I've seen you can't beat the Schwinn 27 speed BDX super sport bike. You can't run out of gears. It's made of aluminum. The price I saw at Harbor Country was $750 with a few free options. This is the bike. Because a bike can last you many years I would buy one that it will fit me as I advance.

As I said in a different post, check out bikesdirect.com, I got my bike (Dawes Lightning 1500) there, as did my brother, room mate, and two of my friends. They seem pretty good quality (mine has held up for over a year and is running great) and seem like a good value (guy at my LBS guessed that I paid $1500 for my bike, I actually paid $500 shipped)

I went the internet bike route because the cheapest bike at my LBS was about $800, and that seemed WAY too much for something I wasn't even sure I'd enjoy enough to stick with.

Just make sure you get a bike that fits you well (my brother got one frame size too large, and has some issues from that) and one that fits your needs (don't get a road bike if you're doing off road riding, ect...)

Hopefully this helps!