Getting myself involved: street planning pointers and patterns?

Andrew Chadwick

Guest
I've volunteered to help with the design days for the Cowley Road Matters project in East Oxford[1],
as I use that road a great deal. I've never done this kind of thing before, so does anyone have any
general guidelines and pointers that they could share?

The organisers of this process have thrown up a public wall of information and are distributing
packs describing a fairly modern arsenal of street furniture and redesign tricks which could be
used. So far they are at least -considering- making the stretch a 20mph zone[2], and don't seem
madly keen on shared use cycle tracks.

Are there any good sites out there that suggest patterns and guidelines for planning these kinds of
streets? Cowley road isn't exactly a residential area, so Home Zones and Green Streets aren't
really that applicable here. I'd also like to suggest a good source for Sheffield Stands to them.
The people I asked seemed quite receptive to the suggestion that wheelbender cycle parking is quite
a bad idea.

By the way, the major problems for cyclists on the Cowley Road are related to the general busyness
of the street, road narrowings and parking. All the independent shops along it are accessible only
from the front, and past planners seem to have really latched onto the idea that traffic islands are
a great idea.

[1] http://www.eastoxford.com/beta/eoaltd/Cowley_Road/Cowley_index.htm
[2] avg. measured speed is roughly 17.5mph during daytime hours

--
Andrew Chadwick You never hear a Cricket crowd chanting "who's the ******* in the hat?"

Andrew Chadwick wrote:
> I've volunteered to help with the design days for the Cowley Road Matters project in East
> Oxford[1], as I use that road a great deal. I've never done this kind of thing before, so does
> anyone have any general guidelines and pointers that they could share?

How about getting in touch with Cyclox and adding your effort to theirs rather than splintering it?
http://www.cyclox.org/index.htm

Tony

You could order a (free) copy of English Partnerships Urban Design Compendium. It has loads of
information regarding the designing of urban areas including some to do with cycling. I'm doing an
MSc in Urban Regeneration at them moment and find it very useful.

There is an order form at
http://www.englishpartnerships.co.uk/pages/publications_form.asp?PageID=274

May take a week or two for delivery but can't grumble at free.

Cheers

Andy

"Andrew Chadwick" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:slrnc2a89t.9pm.and-x-
[email protected]...
> I've volunteered to help with the design days for the Cowley Road Matters project in East
> Oxford[1], as I use that road a great deal. I've never done this kind of thing before, so does
> anyone have any general guidelines and pointers that they could share?
>
> The organisers of this process have thrown up a public wall of information and are distributing
> packs describing a fairly modern arsenal of street furniture and redesign tricks which could be
> used. So far they are at least -considering- making the stretch a 20mph zone[2],
and
> don't seem madly keen on shared use cycle tracks.
>
> Are there any good sites out there that suggest patterns and guidelines for planning these kinds
> of streets? Cowley road isn't exactly a residential area, so Home Zones and Green Streets aren't
> really that applicable here. I'd also like to suggest a good source for Sheffield Stands to them.
> The people I asked seemed quite receptive to the suggestion that wheelbender cycle parking is
> quite a bad idea.
>
> By the way, the major problems for cyclists on the Cowley Road are related to the general busyness
> of the street, road narrowings and parking. All the independent shops along it are accessible only
> from the front, and past planners seem to have really latched onto the idea that traffic islands
> are a great idea.
>

> [1] http://www.eastoxford.com/beta/eoaltd/Cowley_Road/Cowley_index.htm
> [2] avg. measured speed is roughly 17.5mph during daytime hours
>
> --
> Andrew Chadwick You never hear a Cricket crowd chanting "who's the ******* in the hat?"

On Sat, 7 Feb 2004 17:32:45 +0000, Andrew Chadwick
<[email protected]>:

>I've volunteered to help with the design days for the Cowley Road Matters project in East
>Oxford[1], as I use that road a great deal. I've never done this kind of thing before, so does
>anyone have any general guidelines and pointers that they could share?

You could call Tony Russell (details here <url:http://www.ctc.org.uk/working/regional.aspx>) - he is
a Good Man.

Guy
===
http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

Andrew Chadwick <[email protected]> writes:

> I've volunteered to help with the design days for the Cowley Road Matters project in East
> Oxford[1], as I use that road a great deal. I've never done this kind of thing before, so does
> anyone have any general guidelines and pointers that they could share?
>
> The organisers of this process have thrown up a public wall of information and are distributing
> packs describing a fairly modern arsenal of street furniture and redesign tricks which could be
> used. So far they are at least -considering- making the stretch a 20mph zone[2], and don't seem
> madly keen on shared use cycle tracks.

Good to both of those things.

> Are there any good sites out there that suggest patterns and guidelines for planning these kinds
> of streets? Cowley road isn't exactly a residential area, so Home Zones and Green Streets aren't
> really that applicable here.

Basically, avoid having cycle lanes at all if possible, but if you have to have them make sure that
it is absolutely forbidden to park in them at all times - cyclists popping out round parked cars are
at horrendous risk - and that they are sufficiently wide. Where a bus lane is also a cycle lane is
probably fine, but where you have 'cycle' lanes under 1500mm wide they're lethal. Cars will pass way
too close.

-- mens vacua in medio vacuo --

On Sat, 7 Feb 2004 19:20:23 -0000, "Tony Raven"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Andrew Chadwick wrote:
>> I've volunteered to help with the design days for the Cowley Road Matters project in East
>> Oxford[1], as I use that road a great deal. I've never done this kind of thing before, so does
>> anyone have any general guidelines and pointers that they could share?
>>

>How about getting in touch with Cyclox and adding your effort to theirs rather than splintering it?
>http://www.cyclox.org/index.htm
>
>Tony

I'd say the contrary. Good idea to be in touch with local cycling groups to discuss ideas but even
better to be seen as an independant joe public who just happens to be a cyclist.

On Sat, 7 Feb 2004 17:32:45 +0000 someone who may be Andrew Chadwick
<[email protected]> wrote this:-

>Are there any good sites out there that suggest patterns and guidelines for planning these kinds of
>streets? Cowley road isn't exactly a residential area, so Home Zones and Green Streets aren't
>really that applicable here.

What you need is to look at what is sometimes called main road traffic calming. Transport 2000 can
sell you several reports on the subject.

>I'd also like to suggest a good source for Sheffield Stands to them.

Google will call up many manufacturers.

On 2004-02-07 21:14 +0000, Andy Laycock wrote:
> You could order a (free) copy of English Partnerships Urban Design Compendium. [...]
>
> May take a week or two for delivery but can't grumble at free.

Just done so, and thanks for the link.

--
Andrew Chadwick You never hear a Cricket crowd chanting "who's the ******* in the hat?"

"Andrew Chadwick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I've volunteered to help with the design days for the Cowley Road Matters project in East
> Oxford[1], as I use that road a great deal. I've never done this kind of thing before, so does
> anyone have any general guidelines and pointers that they could share?

If you use the road a lot you should be aware of the problems that most need solving. Your main
concern should be ensuring that they don't do anything daft such as substandard cycle facilities.

A good source of ideas is "Cycle Friendly Infrastructure".

> The organisers of this process have thrown up a public wall of information and are distributing
> packs describing a fairly modern arsenal of street furniture and redesign tricks which could be
> used. So far they are at least -considering- making the stretch a 20mph zone[2],
and
> don't seem madly keen on shared use cycle tracks.

Good and good.

> Are there any good sites out there that suggest patterns and guidelines for planning these kinds
> of streets? Cowley road isn't exactly a residential area, so Home Zones and Green Streets aren't
> really that applicable here. I'd also like to suggest a good source for Sheffield Stands to them.
> The people I asked seemed quite receptive to the suggestion that wheelbender cycle parking is
> quite a bad idea.

Make sure they follow the instructions on spacing. Ive seen a number installed that are effectively
useless because they go right up to a wall.

> By the way, the major problems for cyclists on the Cowley Road are related to the general busyness
> of the street, road narrowings and parking.

In that case you want to avoid an cycle 'facilities' of any sort.

If they do put cycle lanes in they need to be at least 2m wide and well to the right of any
parked cars.

Look for things such as managed parking, with a hatched area to keep cyclists away from the door
zone. Wide traffic lanes, central hatching

> All the independent shops along it are accessible only from the front, and past planners seem to
> have really latched onto the idea that traffic islands are a great idea.

Then that should probably be your first target.

The key with refuge islands is to ensure that the traffic lane is wide enough to overtake a cyclist
- it needs to be at least 4.5m. If they cannot make the gap that wide then it should be very narrow
(less than 3m) so it is obvious that there isn't space. Anything in between is bad news for cyclists
as there isn't enough space, but some drivers will attempt to squeeze past.