Getting Nervous bout new bike

Andy

Guest
Hi,

I've been planning to buy a new bike for the last month or so (bit longer than planned due to lack
of cash flow). I'm after a "fast city" bike, basically a road bike with flat handlebars.

Basically i'm almost sure on the Saracen Razor which can be brought for £600 at AW cycles (reading)
i was originally going to go for a Giant FCR 2, but i believe for the price the spec is better. On
the saracen i get:

* Carbon Fork
* Seemingly decent set of wheels
* Good bar, Saddle (ITM, Sella Italia)
* 9 speed Tiagra back gears, double Vela 2 at front (never really heard of this)
* Sora brakes

But .... basically i getting nervous, i tend to do loads of research on stuff i buy on the net, and
i can find nothing really on the Razor (i'm guessing as its a 2003 bike) and when i search for
Saracen i seem to find lots of "Saracen are rubbish" messages ....

Now i think (and hope) that saracens name has improved over the last couple of years, but as i
putting out what to me is alot of cash can anyone calm my nerves and tell me if this is true?

I also found out the Razor is slightly heavier than the FCR 2 by about 1 kg (10.8 kg), is that going
to make alot of difference.

Anyway AW cycles have both the Giant and the Saracen so i guess i will try them both ... but can
anyone tell me there opinion on saracen bikes now (i.e. not 2002+ models)

Thanks all help appreciated and hopefully at the end of this month when i get paid i will be prous
owner of a new bike!

Cheers

Andy

Have you considered the Specialized Sirrus range - similar spec and price?

Alan (just bought one) "Andy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi,
>
> I've been planning to buy a new bike for the last month or so (bit longer than planned due to lack
> of cash flow). I'm after a "fast city" bike, basically a road bike with flat handlebars.
>
> Basically i'm almost sure on the Saracen Razor which can be brought for £600 at AW cycles
> (reading) i was originally going to go for a Giant FCR 2, but i believe for the price the spec is
> better. On the saracen i get:
>
> * Carbon Fork
> * Seemingly decent set of wheels
> * Good bar, Saddle (ITM, Sella Italia)
> * 9 speed Tiagra back gears, double Vela 2 at front (never really heard of this)
> * Sora brakes
>
> But .... basically i getting nervous, i tend to do loads of research on stuff i buy on the net,
> and i can find nothing really on the Razor (i'm guessing as its a 2003 bike) and when i search for
> Saracen i seem to find lots of "Saracen are rubbish" messages ....
>
> Now i think (and hope) that saracens name has improved over the last couple of years, but as i
> putting out what to me is alot of cash can anyone calm my nerves and tell me if this is true?
>
> I also found out the Razor is slightly heavier than the FCR 2 by about 1 kg (10.8 kg), is that
> going to make alot of difference.
>
> Anyway AW cycles have both the Giant and the Saracen so i guess i will try them both ... but can
> anyone tell me there opinion on saracen bikes now (i.e. not 2002+ models)
>
> Thanks all help appreciated and hopefully at the end of this month when i get paid i will be prous
> owner of a new bike!
>
> Cheers
>
> Andy

in article [email protected], Andy at [email protected] wrote
on 19/7/2003 6:34 pm:

> Anyway AW cycles have both the Giant and the Saracen so i guess i will try them both

Is the right answer: buy the bike that fits and feels good, AW have been selling them for some time.

> ... but can anyone tell me there opinion on saracen bikes now

No, but I can tell you my opinion of AW Cycles, which is that they are generally pretty straight -
ask Ricky or Neil which of the two they would prefer and you will probably get an honest answer.

Guy

"Andy" <[email protected]> wrote
> I've been planning to buy a new bike for the last month or so (bit longer than planned due to lack
> of cash flow). I'm after a "fast city" bike, basically a road bike with flat handlebars.

You could save time and one upgrade by getting a bike with drop bars (because you will wish you had
gotten that after a few months) to start with, but let's run with your idea for now.

> Basically i'm almost sure on the Saracen Razor which can be brought for £600 at AW cycles
> (reading) i was originally going to go for a Giant FCR 2, but i believe for the price the spec is
> better. On the saracen i get:

(Loadsastuff)

> But .... basically i getting nervous, i tend to do loads of research on stuff i buy on the net,
> and i can find nothing really on the Razor (i'm guessing as its a 2003 bike) and when i search for
> Saracen i seem to find lots of "Saracen are rubbish" messages ....

You can find lots of "Brand X is rubbish" messages, brand ownership is a competitive sport in many
recreations. Look at how the recumbent buch here love to drop names of things they own, things they
rode last weekend, things their mate in Tuvalu rode last weekend....

> Now i think (and hope) that saracens name has improved over the last couple of years, but as i
> putting out what to me is alot of cash can anyone calm my nerves and tell me if this is true?

Let's not worry about Saracen's reputation, unless you plan to sell the bike on right away.

First, Saracen are in the value-for-money business like Raleigh used to be and Dawes is
becoming. IOW, They are about building bikes that offer you better spec for the same money as
the bigger names.

The frames and components are made in the same Taiwanese factories as every other competing
manufacturer's are, so you only have to worry about the guarantee and how well assembled they are.
The guarantee (going by their catalogue) seems as good as anyone else's, and the ones I've seen in
shops have been put together as accurately as most other bikes.

> I also found out the Razor is slightly heavier than the FCR 2 by about 1 kg (10.8 kg), is that
> going to make alot of difference.

Hence explaining some of the price advantage. No, it makes very little difference unless you are
racing or climbing a lot.

> Anyway AW cycles have both the Giant and the Saracen so i guess i will try them both ... but can
> anyone tell me there opinion on saracen bikes now (i.e. not 2002+ models)

See comments above. However, one comment to add is that Saracen uses the world's weakest rim tape
(another cost saving point). Buy some good rim tape (about a fiver for 2 wheels worth) with the
bike, and fit it before you attempt to pump the tyres to their full rated pressure. I speak from
seeing 2 different new Saracens (1 road, 1 MTB) suffer rapid deflations due to rim tape failure.

> Thanks all help appreciated and hopefully at the end of this month when i get paid i will be prous
> owner of a new bike!

Whichever you get, I hope it brings you lots of pleasure and that you ride it a lot.

--
Mark South: Citizen of the World, Denizen of the Net "I wonder why so many Finnish traditions are
related with booze?"