Getting new bike...what to look for?

Renae

Aug 8, 2003
My husband decided to get me a road bike (I have an mountain bike that is so-so) for as a birthday gift. We are going out on Monday to look for one.
Is there anything that I should look for in particular? I've never ridden a road bike and don't know what to look for. Any suggestions? Got 2 days to figure it out! I kind of want something that is decent, but not necessarily top of the line. I would like to do my first metric century in October.
Thanks!

First thing to decide...is whether you want a man's road bike or a WSD....basically a bike with smaller controls to suit the hand and ergos of a woman.

I cannot help you much further :(

Renae said:
My husband decided to get me a road bike (I have an mountain bike that is so-so) for as a birthday gift. We are going out on Monday to look for one.
Is there anything that I should look for in particular? I've never ridden a road bike and don't know what to look for. Any suggestions? Got 2 days to figure it out! I kind of want something that is decent, but not necessarily top of the line. I would like to do my first metric century in October.
Thanks!
Suggest you shop all the dealers in your area. Tell the saleman what type of riding you plan on doing, and let him put you on some bikes in your price range for test rides. Proper fit is very important, as is getting a bike with the gearing you need. A good salesman will understand what you need.

If you sense you're getting pressured to buy quickly, or buy the more expensive or slightly-wrong-sized bike because it's on sale, I'd find another shop.

In the end, I'd get the bike that feels the best to you when you ride it. I'd give points to the shop that takes the time to work with you on fit, to make the adjustments in saddle height and position for your test ride. Also, they should offer free tune-up service after the sale for any minor adjustments needed.

Enjoy your shopping. Test rides are a great way to learn about what's out there.

Try and get at least 105 components. They usually put presta valve type wheels on bikes that are considered better. You didn't say how tall you are, but if you're short look at the compact frames (ex: Giant). Are you going to get road shoes and pedals or will the pedals that come on the road bike work with your Mt bike shoes? Carbon seat stays are good if you can find a bike that fits the budget. Especially on the long rides...

http://www.myra-simon.com/bike/womens-fit.html

What dhk said. Get fit, and find an LBS that treats you well, spends time fitting you and explaining everything, and DON'T GET SOLD... two days is an awfully short amount of time to buy a road bike when you haven't ridden on previously. I'd recommend taking a couple of weeks to see what's out there and weigh all the options. Aw well, there's something to be said for instant gratification too, good luck.