Getting old bike back into action.

Vlakorados

Feb 1, 2014
I've recently decided I'd like to get back into cycling in order to improve my fitness. I have a bike that I used to use in my late teens (25 now) - if its relevant - I believe it is a Team Saracen AWOL suspension bike. It hasn't been used in probably about 3 or 4 years - If I remember correctly I got some new tyres fitted around that time and it basically didn't get used after then.

Obviously these tyres are pretty deflated having been sat in the garage for however many years - I'm wondering if whether the tyres that are currently fitted will be alright to use if I get them pumped back up or will a new set of tyres be necessary? Any advice would be much appreciated :)

Well you can always try inflating them. You'll need a pump anyway. Depending on storage conditions they may either hold up fine or may have turned hopelessly brittle. Tubes are probably still good.

Truth be told I have very little technical knowledge of bikes - but the tubes (I know them only by name) are what I was concerned about - I seem to recall them being important. I'll get the tyres blown up and leave them to see if they they hold the air. Thank you for the response - I just wanted to check that using tyres that have been out of action for sometime wasn't a basic massive no-no.

Vlakorados said:
Truth be told I have very little technical knowledge of bikes - but the tubes (I know them only by name) are what I was concerned about - I seem to recall them being important. I'll get the tyres blown up and leave them to see if they they hold the air. Thank you for the response - I just wanted to check that using tyres that have been out of action for sometime wasn't a basic massive no-no.
There's nothing wrong with TRYING to use old tires, IF they have come through OK. You may have lost a little friction due to the rubber drying a bit though. Shouldn't be a concern for a casual ride. Otoh they may be badly cracked and afflicted by dry rot, in which case replacement is in order. Either way, if you're gonna start riding regularly, you need your own pump, so get one and have a go.

Going on your self-confessed illitteracy in bike mechanics, any bike that has been left sittning for several years would merit from a good service before being brought into use. If it's rim braked pads probably aren't much fun any more. If it has air shocks these probably need topping up etc etc.