Getting Old Is Hell

jhuskey

Oct 6, 2003
But it beats the alternative.
On this day in 1952 the average house in the US was $16,800 the average income was $3515,gas was .20 per gallon and I was born.
It was a cold snowy day and remember because the Doc's hands were cold and as you know the world has pretty much gone more toward the crapper since and I just want to emphasis.......It is not my fault!

Cheer to all I am still alive and still on my bike.

jhuskey said:
On this day in 1952 the average house in the US was $16,800 the average income was $3515,gas was .20 per gallon and I was born.
It was a cold snowy day and remember because the Doc's hands were cold and as you know the world has pretty much gone more toward the crapper since and I just want to emphasis.......It is not my fault!

Happy birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday dear................oh you get the message, don't ya ?

When you're younger you look forward birthdays but when you're not so young you tend to reflect.
What you should today is JH : put on the TS TM jersey take yourself off for a
ball breaker of a spin and then come back sip a few beers with your loved one
and then consider how many other 5? year olds can do - or say - the same !

Have a good one and as we say here "hope all your birthdays come at once"

Happy Birthday!

Just think how much older you would be without cycling! :D

On bikeforums.net is a 50+ forum, and there is an ongoing challenge for everyone to ride their age on their birthday. This is a nice goal for those with the weather to do so, but for some reason I don't think that February in Pennsylvania will work for me... But if you are somewhere that the weather is cooperating, perhaps you should at least get in a ride, even if not prepared for 50+ miles...

I am younger now than when I took up cycling a couple of years ago, and I will always be younger than I would have been without getting back into the hobby... and I know the same is true for anyone who keeps riding! :)

Happy Birthday!!!!!! Awesome riding into your 50's. Keep it up, helps keep you young.
Enjoy all the day brings you.

Thanks guys, as far as a 50 miler,that ain't no big deal my wife and I both do that on a regular basis, besides it depends on how fast you ride it.
Unfortunately it is business as usual and I am at work so I won't even get on a bike today unless I get home in time to hit the trainer before we go out to dinner. It is a bit cold also, 22 F this morning on the mountain.

Lim, I read that in Ireland there is a nursing home that has installed a full bar area for the elderly to partake in the social aspects of the brew.
What a concept....I hope it catches on before I get to that point ,which I hope will some years to come.

Hey Bud! Happy Birthday! If you ride faster, old age won't be able to keep up. "Drop him/it like a bad habbit!"

On a serious note, Happy birthyday and God Bless!

Mark

snyper0311 said:
Hey Bud! Happy Birthday! If you ride faster, old age won't be able to keep up. "Drop him/it like a bad habbit!"

On a serious note, Happy birthyday and God Bless!

Mark
Happy Birthday and enjoy the here and now, not the past nor the imagined future.

A lot of us would not be here were it not for "modern medicine"....I being one of them.......however, getting older sux and whatever I can do to make myself healthier, I am doing, now, back to the bicycle, I've seen my orthopaedist yesterday and he says I've done perfectly, not to come back for two years!!!!! So there is some hope after all.

xoxo, Petals

Happy Birthday Mr Huskey,

I'm sorry I didn't get you anything. :)

Never mind, I'll have a 'beint o gwrw' (pint of beer) for you later. I can either drink it or post it (email?) - your choice. :D

Best wishes,

Steve

wheelist said:
Happy Birthday Mr Huskey,

I'm sorry I didn't get you anything. :)

Never mind, I'll have a 'beint o gwrw' (pint of beer) for you later. I can either drink it or post it (email?) - your choice. :D

Best wishes,

Steve

I will probably extend my celebration into the weekend at this point so go ahead and drink up if you will.
Cyber beer gives me a hangover.

jhuskey said:

Having turned 51 exactly one week ago today, may I wish you a very Happy Birthday. Didn't ride my age on my birthday, but have some great plans in the making. Good luck and may you still be riding till the day you meet your maker.

P. S.

Getting old isn't hell, it's just learning how to appreciate the way things used to be.

jhuskey said:

Happy belated birthday JH, I hope you had a good day.

I wanted to read this thread last week but had a hell of a time accessing cyclingforums.com.

My folks bought their first house in Sacramento, CA for $1,500.00 back in 1952. It was 1 acre with a tiny house in the middle. My father is\was a carpenter and managed to build a couple more houses on the property. It is now worth 1.2 Million.

I will have my 53rd in February of next year.

Lw

lwedge said:
Happy belated birthday JH, I hope you had a good day.

I wanted to read this thread last week but had a hell of a time accessing cyclingforums.com.

My folks bought their first house in Sacramento, CA for $1,500.00 back in 1952. It was 1 acre with a tiny house in the middle. My father is\was a carpenter and managed to build a couple more houses on the property. It is now worth 1.2 Million.

I will have my 53rd in February of next year.

Lw

I have noted many changes in economics and people over my life and all not for the good.
I will warn you about a little know medical fact, just before your 53rd birthday 87% of men lose the strentgh in their legs and are no longer any good at cycling,your appetite will increase with rapid weight gain.
Sex life ...forget it,it's all over and all you will desire is to sit, eat and watch Oprah.
Of course if you believe all this please send me a check for $10,000 and I will tell you how to be one of the 13%.

PS: Thanks for the kind thoughts

jhuskey said:
toward the crapper .
i remember when i was 10 and asked the teacher if i could visit the 'crapper'.

jeez, was i made to regret that.

but that was the guys name i insisted...

jhuskey said:
I have noted many changes in economics and people over my life and all not for the good.
I will warn you about a little know medical fact, just before your 53rd birthday 87% of men lose the strentgh in their legs and are no longer any good at cycling,your appetite will increase with rapid weight gain.
Sex life ...forget it,it's all over and all you will desire is to sit, eat and watch Oprah.
Of course if you believe all this please send me a check for $10,000 and I will tell you how to be one of the 13%.

PS: Thanks for the kind thoughts

JH: I'm a little behind on the curve on this one, but happy birthday! Your dedication to cycling is an inspiration!

MountainPro said:
i remember when i was 10 and asked the teacher if i could visit the 'crapper'.

jeez, was i made to regret that.

but that was the guys name i insisted...
I have met the guy that bought and resurrected the Thomas Crapper company and he told me (I can't believe how knowledgeable this guy is about toilets and furthermore what a fascinating topic of conversation it is) that it was a massive coincidence that the man who developed the modern flushing mechanism for toilets was called Thomas Crapper.

He named his company the Crapper company, completely oblivious to the fact that the yanks had a meaning for the word "****". **** is an olde English word that had long since become defunct but the word made it over to the states where it had continued into their present day usage.

It was only when American soldiers came over during the WW2 that they noticed that British toilets were called crappers (much to their amusement and the bewilderment of British folk). As a result **** came back into everyday british usage after all had been explained (probably over a few pints and a great big shite).

Bet you wish you could have told your teacher that :D

ScottishDan said:
I have met the guy that bought and resurrected the Thomas Crapper company and he told me (I can't believe how knowledgeable this guy is about toilets and furthermore what a fascinating topic of conversation it is) that it was a massive coincidence that the man who developed the modern flushing mechanism for toilets was called Thomas Crapper.

He named his company the Crapper company, completely oblivious to the fact that the yanks had a meaning for the word "****". **** is an olde English word that had long since become defunct but the word made it over to the states where it had continued into their present day usage.

It was only when American soldiers came over during the WW2 that they noticed that British toilets were called crappers (much to their amusement and the bewilderment of British folk). As a result **** came back into everyday british usage after all had been explained (probably over a few pints and a great big shite).

That's right. Crapper was responsible for the ball, ****. :rolleyes:

wow, thats quite a story. Now if we can convince the yanks to adopt the word 'shite' instead of **** we'll trully be making the world a better place.

i remember when i was at work (another toilet anecdote) and i was taking a dump in the nearby shitter after a patricularly heavy session on the bacardi and guinness the previous night. After i was finished i was washing my hands the boss came in and exclaimed, 'christ, it smells like a bloody shitehouse in here', and i replied, 'i know, must be that poor lad in the cubicle just now, he needs to hang a sheeps head on the door to warm others'. The smell was effing ripe.

just goes to show, 'guinness for strength' wasnt just a cunning advertising slogan, the fallout the next morning can strip paint off the walls.

ScottishDan said:

wheelist said:
That's right. Crapper was responsible for the ball, ****. :rolleyes:
Toilet factoid number 2:

There are two main types of flushing mechanism:

1. The regular ballcock as developed by Mr Thomas Crapper.

2. The syphon: This relies on atmospheric pressure and the syphon effect. You may have experienced one of these. You press the flush and the water level very slowly drops. You look extremely worried as the turd sits there defiant. Seconds later however, with a satisfying whoosh, all the water and toilet contents disappear at an impressive rate of knots.