Getting Other People To Start Cycling

N1TRO

I'd like to hear your experiences with trying to get other people to join you cycling. I'm sure a lot of you have tried getting your family members, friends etc. who have not cycled for a long time to get back out and rack up a few kilometers (or miles) at least.

For me, I'd say it differs a lot from one person to another. Some jump right at it and even borrow bikes from others to go with you and then even continue on their own - others might have perfectly good bikes in their garages which just gather dust for years. I've slowly had to convince my dad for months and we finally did a round yesterday. He just turned 50 years old, it was about 38 years since he was on a bike, and even this came after the doctor said cycling would be good for his knee injury. So I borrowed him my older trekking bike which was perfect for him, let him set the pace, chose a flat scenic route and it looked like he enjoyed it. Here's hoping to see he decides to join me again some time soon.

So what about you guys, what's your stories?

Reactions: nonicenevecu84
Now you will save a lot of money as a result of if you want to take pleasure in all of the features of Minions Paradise you might be compelled to make use of the in-app purchases and spend actual cash.

my page; minions paradise money

Up to now I've been quite lucky because there's been probably about 3 or 4 people that I've introduced to cycling and they still ride with me now when they get the chance.

They could ride a bike from an early age but then just grew out of it like a lot of people do. It was only a few years ago when I convinced them to come along with me one day that they actually enjoyed it that much that it became a regular occurrence.

I've never really introduced anyone else to cycling, but I can tell you my experience from the other side :)

I used to work with a girl who was super into mountain biking, and she had a group that she used to go on 'Sunday ride' with every week. She basically just talked it up a lot and kept the invitation open every week, and eventually when I had a Sunday off I ended up joining them. Everyone knew I was a beginner so they took me somewhere really fun and easy to navigate, which made it accessible enough that I was pretty much able to keep up and enjoy myself without having to worry about being left behind or holding everyone up.

To me the most important thing is accurately gauging someone's skill level and choosing a ride that they'll actually be able to manage and enjoy, and if they really like it you can work up from there.

Yeah, not overdoing it early on is very important imo. Cycling in itself is not hard at all, but you can make it hard easily enough. And if you throw a big hill at someone who hasn't ridden in years, he's probably just gonna give up and say never again. But if you do build up gradually there's actually a quick progression to it. People surprise even themselves after a couple of rides and when you reach that, I think that's the most you can do to help them start.

I've had more success "converting" coworkers than my friends. Though I've tried to get friends on a bike with the usual arguments ("It'll help you stay in shape!" but mostly use the "It's fun!" argument) but since they don't really see me riding it didn't catch up with them. My coworkers see me (& the other bike commuters) arrive happy in our bikes and hear me talk all about the weekend group ride, where I went, how much I rode.

Honestly, I think yourself are the best incentive to get your friends/family on a bike. They'll see you happy and will want in on the fun. And ride with them. I did my first ride to work with a workmate and it helped me gain confidence, because she already knew a good route and the "dangers" we could find (later I realized that, at 7am, there aren't that many lol).

She started commuting to the office alone, then I joined her and now two other workmates have started to use their bikes to work.

I think I am quite ok with the people I am with now riding. There was never really a chance to convince anyone to try the sport I am in. Those people around me have their own interests like swimming and tennis or basketball and I think they are so much in love with their own sport and that would be difficult for me to recruit any of them to join me.

I like to ride alone, this has always been my thing, so I don't usually go around that much asking people to join me. I remember going on a few trips with a friend and I had fun, but that was more about adventure and exploration since neither of us really knew where we were going. I still prefer going solo, it's just my style.

bykster said:
I like to ride alone, this has always been my thing, so I don't usually go around that much asking people to join me. I remember going on a few trips with a friend and I had fun, but that was more about adventure and exploration since neither of us really knew where we were going. I still prefer going solo, it's just my style.
I also prefer to ride alone a lot of the time but its always good to show people a hobby that they might not have known much about before. If I do ride with others its only in a small group anyway but even if you do decide alone, that shouldn't put you off inviting others out with you if they are open to it.

The more people that are introduced to cycling, the stronger the hobby/sport/transport, whatever you want to call it will get, and for us cyclists I think that can only be a good thing.

I convinced some of my friends to join me and fortunately they tried it. My selling point was that it was a great hobby because you get to exercise your body and at the same time enjoy the feeling of riding in wherever area you are in and the beautiful view, especially in parks, nature trails or beach sides. Bike races are what I have not convinced them to do because they do not like competition and would just like the casual rides to have fun and relax. I get them because this is also my stand and I am enjoying this hobby right now.

I have been trying to convince my best friend, who is a bit overweight, to start doing something as active as cycling can be for ages. And only recently have I succeeded.
We had a nice ride a couple of weeks ago, down town, and she seemed to enjoy it. She has had her bike for ages rotting in the garage, gathering dust. It is a nice mountain bike, and after we cleaned it properly from all the bugs and dust, we took it out and running. There was nothing wrong with it, except the tires what were exhausted, so we had to do some pumping prior to cycling. But, everything is fun when you are around friends, right.
It was not a long way cycling, since she was not riding for ages, and I did not want to make her too tired. After that, I tend to cycle with her every second day, gradually increasing the distance and speed. :)
She is riding on her own now. :) But, still she does not go long distances, yet. :)

You are supposed to tell them the benefits of cycling instead of borrowing bikes for them. If they can understand the benefits then I am sure they can join you. Later you can invite them to competitions where they can win different prizes. Give them materials supporting what you suggest to them.

I don't bother trying to get people into cycling. Folks that know that I cycle will often ask me about the hobby, and I let them know about the positive and few negative aspects of cycling. If someone wants to get into cycling, eventually they will. If they want to learn more, I'll often recommend for them to check out forums and sites such as this one.

I can see what your saying, and if people are interested in cycling, then they won't need to be coaxed in to it, they'll do it for themselves.

I've recommended cycling in the past to people, but I've never actually made that much of an effort to make them do it. At the end of the day it's there choice.

I am extremely interested in cycling because I feel like it would benefit me long-term and throughout my military career. I live in the country so I see a lot of people riding bikes but I'm not sure why I haven't purchased one to get a good cardio workout.

Reactions: pwarbi
I am extremely interested in cycling because I feel like it would benefit me long-term and throughout my military career. I live in the country so I see a lot of people riding bikes but I'm not sure why I haven't purchased one to get a good cardio workout.

From your post, I'd recommend that the first thing you do this weekend is start looking at bikes to buy, as you sound like the perfect candidate to enjoy cycling. You want a cardio workout, surrounded by other cyclists and you live in the country.

Buying a bike and taking up cycling will be life changing for you, and I'm sure you'll enjoy it more than any other hobby that you do now.