Getting our of LHR (London)

mperry

Guest
We plan on cycling from London to Geneva this fall. Our first obstacle seems to be the problem of
getting out of London Heathrow Airport on our bikes. I know we land at terminal 4, but does anyone
know how to get out of the airport from there. We plan on heading due south to Portsmouth. Our plan
is to assemble our bikes in the terminal and then ride or walk them out if possible.

For some time I've been collecting information on user experiences taking bikes on planes, trains,
buses, boats, etc. There's lots of stuff on rentals, folding bikes, boxing, airlines, and railroads
around the world and how to ride in/out of about 120 airports, including LHR.

See it at http://www.BikeAccess.net

On Sat, 10 May 2003 05:27:55 +0000, mperr wrote:

> We plan on cycling from London to Geneva this fall.
I've lived in both places, strangely enough. Have fun!

> obstacle seems to be the problem of getting out of London Heathrow Airport on our bikes. I know we
> land at terminal 4, but does anyone know how to get out of the airport from there. We plan on
> heading due south to Portsmouth.

There should be some sort of cycle path out of Heathrow. A quick search for Heathrow on the Sustrans
site shows a path. I'm going out to Heathrow tomorrow, if I remember I will scout about.

For longer distance cycle paths in the UK, check out the Sustrans site http://www.sustrans.org.uk
And maybe contact the Cycle Touring Club http://www.ctc.org.uk

Oh, and remember your currencies! Euros don't cover all yet. UK - pounds France - Euros Geneva -
Swiss Franc

Though you can spend Euros in most shops/bars in Geneva.

I was at Heathrow today. At the information desk, it was hard getting them to understand what I
wanted - ie. what to do on arrival when you have bikes. But they did say that there are signposted
bike routes out of the airport.