Getting over the mighty log (jumping that is)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rich Touart wrote:
>
> [email protected] (JD) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> > "Alan McClure" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<dPLKa.27339$Ab2.51798@sccrnsc01>...
> > > So, when most of you come across a log on the trail--let's say it is 8-12 inches tall.
> >
> > Be very scared because anything dumping a log that big has to be huge.
> >
> > JD
>
> I walked my trails just the other day to do some trimming. I saw where a flagman working on the
> hiway had walked into my woods to dump a log right on my trail. At first I was ******, but I
> really can't blame the guy. When you gotta go, ya gotta go. It has been raining ever since so I
> suspect Mother Nature has taken care of things.
>
> Rich (momentarily out of recluse mode)

There's a bar joke in there, somewhere. . .

--
J'm

To Reply Direct, Remove Clothes. ...-.-

Alan McClure wrote:
>
>
> WEll, Grottpeter and the Bluff trail were both in excellent condition. Lost Valley however is
> another issue. I really like the trail because of how scenic it is, but it is always so damn
> muddy. I didn't even try to ride it. I'm thinking of heading down to Berryman, maybe two weekends
> from now, so hopefully the weather will help me out with those plans. Also, do you know of any
> other must rides in Missouri? I'm trying to hit everything I can this summer, and there are many
> places I've never ridden. I still haven't managed any Kansas City Rides, although I hear that
> Landahl Trail is pretty amazing. Anyway, have fun if you can manage to get out this coming week.
>
> Alan

Well, around here Chubb and Cliff Cave get good press. There was a newly dedicated [last couple of
years] trail out in St. Chas, but I've never ridden
it.

--
J'm

To Reply Direct, Remove Clothes. ...-.-

[email protected] (Alan McClure) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> J'm Sm'th <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > Alan McClure wrote:
> > >
> > > "J'm Sm'th" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]...
> > > > Alan McClure wrote:
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > > Nope, actually, I'm gonna try to make it out to St. Louis and St.
> Charles
> > > > > this weekend, but I haven't made it any further south than Binder Lake
> in
> > > > > Jefferson City yet this season. So, I'm thinking I'll try in the next couple of weeks. I'm
> > > > > gonna try to get an idea about it by talking to
> some
> > > > > people in St. Louis. I'll let you know what I find out.
> > > > >
> > > > > Alan
> > > >
> > > > Where around here you going to go? I was out at Castlewood last week, and while the high
> > > > trails [Bluff/Lone wolf, Grotpeter] were in good shape, the lower ones were a mess. Brad [of
> > > > Brad and Julie Vaughn] reported that
> Chubb
> > > > was pretty sloppy, too. With the Big Rain we had Wednesday, I would
> expect
> > > > things to be about the same.
> > > >
> > > > Bring lots of mosquito repellant.
> > > >
> > > > --
> > > > J'm
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > To Reply Direct, Remove Clothes. ...-.-
> > >
> > > Hmmm....that's a shame...guess I'll have to wait a while then. I'm just gonna keep my hopes up
> > > that the rain stays away this next week then.
> > >
> > > Alan
> >
> > Hey, don't get me wrong--I'm not saying it's *all* bad, just stick to the higher trails.
> > Kathleen might give us a report on Lost Valley if she's been out there lately. Unfortunately,
> > I've got Field Day this weekend, so no riding for me.
>
> WEll, Grottpeter and the Bluff trail were both in excellent condition. Lost Valley however is
> another issue. I really like the trail because of how scenic it is, but it is always so damn
> muddy. I didn't even try to ride it. I'm thinking of heading down to Berryman, maybe two weekends
> from now, so hopefully the weather will help me out with those plans. Also, do you know of any
> other must rides in Missouri? I'm trying to hit everything I can this summer, and there are many
> places I've never ridden. I still haven't managed any Kansas City Rides, although I hear that
> Landahl Trail is pretty amazing. Anyway, have fun if you can manage to get out this coming week.
>
> Alan

<Begin Frat guy Voice> CHUBB! CHUBB! CHUBB! CHUBB!<End Frat Guy Voice> Ahem, I really recommend the
Chubb Trail. You can go from the Lone Elk Park side which is near I-44 and Hwy. 141 which is about 4
miles or rolling singletrack accross the Meramuck River from Castlewood. If you like climbs, rocks
and such, continue after the second railroad crossing. Otherwise, you can go to West Tyson Park side
and jump into the rocky stuff with both feet. Either way, it is a great trail. Cliff cave is also
good as J'm said, and I think their is a race there this weekend. Even if you don't race, they will
wear in the trail for you pretty good. By the way, if you do ride Cliff Cave, my old favorite trail,
when riding the trail to the north side of the road, watch out for the cliff...nice view, but a long
way down. Finally, if you want grueling tick infested woods with lots of dangerous rocks and hateful
horseback riders, try Greensfelder park near Six Flags. There are only a few trails open to bikes
there, but they are a good technical ride. To find which trails are open, I would pick up Show-Me
Mountain Biking. It has decent maps of most everything in Missouri.

Hope this helps. Brad and Julie Vaughn

On 27 Jun 2003 21:11:24 -0700, [email protected] (Paladin) wrote:

[snip]

>Good description, Bill, and if a guy stalls on top of the log, just start pedaling. Either the
>chain ring will dig in and propel the rider forward, or the pedal will come down and do the same.
>Works for me too.

Thanks, many endos and practice logs later I'm still here and well, just rollin' over
those bad boys!

>
>Watch for a rockin RR where we had to jump and clear a few logs on our AMB-ID pre-ride
>scouting trip.

Will do.
>
>Paladin

Peace, Bill The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the mind
should give an immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world.
:-]

On 28 Jun 2003 07:34:38 -0700, [email protected] (Rich Touart) wrote:

>[email protected] (JD) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
>> "Alan McClure" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<dPLKa.27339$Ab2.51798@sccrnsc01>...
>> > So, when most of you come across a log on the trail--let's say it is 8-12 inches tall.
>>
>> Be very scared because anything dumping a log that big has to be huge.
>>
>> JD
>
>I walked my trails just the other day to do some trimming. I saw where a flagman working on the
>hiway had walked into my woods to dump a log right on my trail. At first I was ******, but I really
>can't blame the guy. When you gotta go, ya gotta go. It has been raining ever since so I suspect
>Mother Nature has taken care of things.
>
>Rich (momentarily out of recluse mode)

Please post another AMB-Bar that I don't get ;-)

Peace, Bill The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the mind
should give an immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world.
:-]

Status
Not open for further replies.