Getting packages at home - pay more for evening delivery?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by bryanska, Mar 1, 2006.

  1. bryanska

    bryanska Guest

    All the technology in the world still hasn't enabled Fed Ex to deliver
    to my house after 5 PM.

    My Fuji Touring will go through TWO delivery attempts until I am able
    to pick it up at a local FedEx center. And then, I'm not even sure what
    day that will be. They'll "call me" to let me know when I can pick it
    up.

    If any shipping company offered home delivery in the evening, I'd
    demand them exclusively. I hate standing in line at the local pickup
    center, with EVERYONE ELSE IN THE WORLD who works nine to five.

    Why even bother to ship it to a residential address at all? I bet we
    could all save some money if we specified evening depot pickup. Then we
    wouldn't even have to go home and get the door tag. If the package
    never even got on a delivery truck, would that be cheaper? I bet it'd
    be easier for FedEx too. Give me that option.

    Tags:

  2. gds

    gds Guest

    bryanska wrote:
    > All the technology in the world still hasn't enabled Fed Ex to deliver
    > to my house after 5 PM.
    >
    > My Fuji Touring will go through TWO delivery attempts until I am able
    > to pick it up at a local FedEx center. And then, I'm not even sure what
    > day that will be. They'll "call me" to let me know when I can pick it
    > up.
    >
    > If any shipping company offered home delivery in the evening, I'd
    > demand them exclusively. I hate standing in line at the local pickup
    > center, with EVERYONE ELSE IN THE WORLD who works nine to five.
    >
    > Why even bother to ship it to a residential address at all? I bet we
    > could all save some money if we specified evening depot pickup. Then we
    > wouldn't even have to go home and get the door tag. If the package
    > never even got on a delivery truck, would that be cheaper? I bet it'd
    > be easier for FedEx too. Give me that option.

    Perhaps a better option would be to have packages delivered to you at
    work. I've done tht for years. As a business owner I have no problem
    with my staff receiving packages at work as it is less stressfull and
    thus benefits us all.

  3. bryanska

    bryanska Guest

    >Perhaps a better option would be to have packages delivered to you at
    >work.

    I work at a large corporation that dislikes anything not approved by
    many committees. The office is so huge, that I wouldn't even know where
    to get the package. I certainly couldn't have it delivered to my cube.

  4. Ken C. M.

    Ken C. M. Guest

    bryanska wrote:
    > All the technology in the world still hasn't enabled Fed Ex to deliver
    > to my house after 5 PM.
    >
    > My Fuji Touring will go through TWO delivery attempts until I am able
    > to pick it up at a local FedEx center. And then, I'm not even sure what
    > day that will be. They'll "call me" to let me know when I can pick it
    > up.
    >
    > If any shipping company offered home delivery in the evening, I'd
    > demand them exclusively. I hate standing in line at the local pickup
    > center, with EVERYONE ELSE IN THE WORLD who works nine to five.
    >
    > Why even bother to ship it to a residential address at all? I bet we
    > could all save some money if we specified evening depot pickup. Then we
    > wouldn't even have to go home and get the door tag. If the package
    > never even got on a delivery truck, would that be cheaper? I bet it'd
    > be easier for FedEx too. Give me that option.

    While I have never had a problem with fed ex, ups has a habit of losing
    packages for me. It has happened twice in the last couple of years.
    Fortunately they were both insured. I agree it would be easier for some
    to just pick up packages. But I doubt you would get any discount.

    Ken
    --
    You never have the wind with you - either it is against you or you're
    having a good day. ~Daniel Behrman, The Man Who Loved Bicycles

    Homepage: now with it's very own domain name
    http://www.bikesandmoreonline.com/

  5. Ken C. M.

    Ken C. M. Guest

    bryanska wrote:

    > I work at a large corporation that dislikes anything not approved by
    > many committees. The office is so huge, that I wouldn't even know where
    > to get the package. I certainly couldn't have it delivered to my cube.

    Ah the joys of working for corporate America. I have worked for
    companies like that. You need to send a bathroom request to committee.

    Ken
    --
    You never have the wind with you - either it is against you or you're
    having a good day. ~Daniel Behrman, The Man Who Loved Bicycles

    Homepage: now with it's very own domain name
    http://www.bikesandmoreonline.com/

  6. gds

    gds Guest

    bryanska wrote:
    > >Perhaps a better option would be to have packages delivered to you at
    > >work.

    > I work at a large corporation that dislikes anything not approved by
    > many committees. The office is so huge, that I wouldn't even know where
    > to get the package. I certainly couldn't have it delivered to my cube.

    Not to be argumentative but it sounds like you haven't tried. You may
    be surprised. My expereince with FedEx and UPS is tht they are happy to
    deliver to your office/cubilce as long as it is proerly described. If
    your employer won't allow such delivery they may still allow it to come
    to a central receiving location.

    I even had packages delivered to me in the military in the 1960's. That
    was not an organization with progressive employment practices but I
    just gave my office address and packages just got delivered. No one
    objected and it never became an issue.

    Your empoyer may have some prohibition against all this but I would
    check it out as it may be a very effective and simple solution for you.

  7. catzz66

    catzz66 Guest

    gds wrote:

    > Your empoyer may have some prohibition against all this [receiving deliveries at work] but I would
    > check it out as it may be a very effective and simple solution for you.

    Office deliveries have a lot of advantages for me. There is usually
    someone here at the office to accept packages, even if I am not.
    Catching someone at home is a lot less likely. I sure don't want FedEx
    or UPS leaving a box on the front porch.

  8. SMS

    SMS Guest

    bryanska wrote:

    > Why even bother to ship it to a residential address at all? I bet we
    > could all save some money if we specified evening depot pickup.

    Fed-Ex (but not Fed-Ex Ground) allows this, if the merchant approves
    (merchants are worried about thieves using stolen credit cards to ship
    merchandise to will-call).

    I've done this on numerous occasions. Sometimes it's difficult to get
    approval, i.e. on a Compaq laptop which was FedExed from the factory in
    China.

    UPS cannot divert to will-call, they must attempt a delivery.

    Fed-Ex Ground is the most hopeless. They have no will-call counter.

  9. bryanska

    bryanska Guest

    >Fed-Ex Ground is the most hopeless. They have no will-call counter.

    Oh no! That's the service holding my bike.

    The thing is, all these companies will bend over backwards if my
    company was interested. They'd send sales reps, set up a dedicated
    customer service line, e-commerce options, all that stuff. Make it easy
    for you to ship through them.

    Receiving is another matter. The processes are shipper-centric. Kinda
    sucks, especially when you pay for the shipping. If you're a
    residential customer, what can you do besides complain? Nothing.

    What does brown do for me? Make me rush to the service counter before
    dinner and hope the driver is back before it closes.

  10. gds

    gds Guest

    bryanska wrote:
    > >Fed-Ex Ground is the most hopeless. They have no will-call counter.

    > Oh no! That's the service holding my bike.
    >
    > The thing is, all these companies will bend over backwards if my
    > company was interested. They'd send sales reps, set up a dedicated
    > customer service line, e-commerce options, all that stuff. Make it easy
    > for you to ship through them.
    >
    > Receiving is another matter. The processes are shipper-centric. Kinda
    > sucks, especially when you pay for the shipping. If you're a
    > residential customer, what can you do besides complain? Nothing.
    >
    > What does brown do for me? Make me rush to the service counter before
    > dinner and hope the driver is back before it closes.

    I'm a bit confused by your angere on this. I have years of experience
    with these companies and am pretty pleased with all of them. I think
    they do a great job of consistent, accurate delivery at reasonable
    prices. Think of how many packages per day they are delivt the sering.
    If you are not available to receive the packages how is that their
    problem ? The fact is that the systems works for the vast amount of
    folks.

    I compare these services the the US Postal service which in my
    expereince loses or mis deliveres a significant amount of mail.

  11. Cat Dailey

    Cat Dailey Guest

    "bryanska" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]googlegroups.com...
    > All the technology in the world still hasn't enabled Fed Ex to deliver
    > to my house after 5 PM.
    >
    > My Fuji Touring will go through TWO delivery attempts until I am able
    > to pick it up at a local FedEx center. And then, I'm not even sure what
    > day that will be. They'll "call me" to let me know when I can pick it
    > up.
    >
    > If any shipping company offered home delivery in the evening, I'd
    > demand them exclusively. I hate standing in line at the local pickup
    > center, with EVERYONE ELSE IN THE WORLD who works nine to five.
    >
    > Why even bother to ship it to a residential address at all? I bet we
    > could all save some money if we specified evening depot pickup. Then we
    > wouldn't even have to go home and get the door tag. If the package
    > never even got on a delivery truck, would that be cheaper? I bet it'd
    > be easier for FedEx too. Give me that option.

    If you live someplace where theft is unlikely, you can sign a form with both
    FedEx and UPS that allow the driver to simply leave the package without a
    signature. I've done this for the last 15 years or so and have never, ever
    had a problem, and we get lots and lots of packages in the mail (two avid
    cyclist, and one motorcyclist in the household ;>)

    Cat

  12. Dane Buson

    Dane Buson Guest

    gds <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I compare these services the the US Postal service which in my
    > expereince loses or mis deliveres a significant amount of mail.

    I'll just say that hasn't been my experience.

    Just be glad you don't live anywhere else in the world. The USPS
    is a shining light in comparison to other mail services. There's
    a reason the British call their's *Parcel Farce*. As to the those
    poor bastards in Spain, I send my deepest regrets.

    Obligatory postal link:

    http://www.improbable.com/airchives/paperair/volume6/v6i4/postal-6-4.html

    --
    Dane Buson - [email protected]
    Work to Eat

  13. gds

    gds Guest

    Dane Buson wrote:
    > gds <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > > I compare these services the the US Postal service which in my
    > > expereince loses or mis deliveres a significant amount of mail.

    > I'll just say that hasn't been my experience.
    >
    > Just be glad you don't live anywhere else in the world. The USPS
    > is a shining light in comparison to other mail services. There's
    > a reason the British call their's *Parcel Farce*. As to the those
    > poor bastards in Spain, I send my deepest regrets.
    >
    > Obligatory postal link:
    >
    > http://www.improbable.com/airchives/paperair/volume6/v6i4/postal-6-4.html
    >
    > --
    > Dane Buson - [email protected]
    > Work to Eat
    > Eat to Live
    > Live to Ride
    > Ride to Work.

    Agreed! But that just makes the performance of the private carriers
    that much more impressive. They do pretty well delivering around the
    world. International rates get pretty high but as you point out when
    sending something to certain countries the postal service entails a
    high level of risk as to if it will ever get there. And of course try
    getting great service at any postal general delivery or "will call"
    counter.

    I'm not trying to blame the victim and I do understand how frustrating
    it can be, but there ways to get packages delivered in an effcient
    manner and only a small % of customers wind up having to conssitently
    deal with the type of problem of the OP.

  14. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    Cat Dailey wrote:
    :: "bryanska" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    :: news:[email protected]
    ::: All the technology in the world still hasn't enabled Fed Ex to
    ::: deliver to my house after 5 PM.
    :::
    ::: My Fuji Touring will go through TWO delivery attempts until I am
    ::: able to pick it up at a local FedEx center. And then, I'm not even
    ::: sure what day that will be. They'll "call me" to let me know when I
    ::: can pick it up.
    :::
    ::: If any shipping company offered home delivery in the evening, I'd
    ::: demand them exclusively. I hate standing in line at the local pickup
    ::: center, with EVERYONE ELSE IN THE WORLD who works nine to five.
    :::
    ::: Why even bother to ship it to a residential address at all? I bet we
    ::: could all save some money if we specified evening depot pickup.
    ::: Then we wouldn't even have to go home and get the door tag. If the
    ::: package never even got on a delivery truck, would that be cheaper?
    ::: I bet it'd be easier for FedEx too. Give me that option.
    ::
    :: If you live someplace where theft is unlikely, you can sign a form
    :: with both FedEx and UPS that allow the driver to simply leave the
    :: package without a signature. I've done this for the last 15 years
    :: or so and have never, ever had a problem, and we get lots and lots
    :: of packages in the mail (two avid cyclist, and one motorcyclist in
    :: the household ;>)

    Same here. It works well. Also, around here, they often come in the
    evenings, too.

  15. Leo Lichtman

    Leo Lichtman Guest

    "Dane Buson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > gds <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>GDS wrote: I compare these services the the US Postal service which in my
    >>expereince loses or mis deliveres a significant amount of mail.

    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    And Dane Buson wrote: I'll just say that hasn't been my experience. (clip)
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Mine either. Our mailman attempted to deliver a package to my son, but
    needed a signature, and my son wasn't home. Later, the mailman came back
    by, happened to notice tham my son's car was home, and he stopped and made
    the delivery. Can't ask for better than that!

  16. gds

    gds Guest

    Leo Lichtman wrote:
    > "Dane Buson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > gds <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >>
    > >>GDS wrote: I compare these services the the US Postal service which in my
    > >>expereince loses or mis deliveres a significant amount of mail.

    > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    > And Dane Buson wrote: I'll just say that hasn't been my experience. (clip)
    > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    > Mine either. Our mailman attempted to deliver a package to my son, but
    > needed a signature, and my son wasn't home. Later, the mailman came back
    > by, happened to notice tham my son's car was home, and he stopped and made
    > the delivery. Can't ask for better than that!

    I'm sure service varies by area. Here in Arizona the service is
    terrible. Forget packages we don't get mail delivered with any
    reliability. I have even gone to the level of getting my congressman
    involved. Running a samll business is a real problem when you can not
    count on either your invoices being delivered correctly or getting your
    payments in the mail. I actually document this and in the past year
    almost 3% of our the mail delivered to us was addressed to someone
    else. I asume that a similar % of my mail get delivered elsewhere. To
    me that is not an acceptable accuracy rate.
    OK rant off!

  17. bryanska

    bryanska Guest

    >If you are not available to receive the packages how is that their
    >problem ?

    I guess I'm saying there is an incredible opportunity for these
    companies to exponentially increase satisfaction.

    Imagine if packages were delivered when you were home, and available to
    receive them. Wouldn't that be fantastic?

    >The fact is that the systems works for the vast amount of
    >folks.

    I agree the system works, but so did open-incision gallbladder removal
    that required weeks of rest. When laparoscopic "keyhole" surgery meant
    you could go home the same day and be back at work in days, the system
    worked for many more folks.

    Next time you are waiting at the customer service counter, or risking
    the theft of a $700 bike package by leaving it on your doorstop, think
    of that dramatic paradigm shift and the difference it could make.

  18. bryanska

    bryanska Guest

    > If you live someplace where theft is unlikely, you can sign a form with both
    > FedEx and UPS that allow the driver to simply leave the package without a
    > signature. I've done this for the last 15 years or so and have never, ever
    > had a problem, and we get lots and lots of packages in the mail (two avid
    > cyclist, and one motorcyclist in the household ;>)

    Where do you live? Aren't you afraid of someone noticing? I'd wait for
    a nice Dell or Gateway box (or maybe some late December packages, when
    it's dark outside) and drive up in a plain van. Hop out, cherry-pick,
    and a neighborhood unused to the speed of a thief is none the wiser!
    Hell, everyone's at work, who would see?

  19. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 14:51:48 -0800, bryanska wrote:

    >>If you are not available to receive the packages how is that their
    >>problem ?

    > I guess I'm saying there is an incredible opportunity for these
    > companies to exponentially increase satisfaction.
    >
    > Imagine if packages were delivered when you were home, and available to
    > receive them. Wouldn't that be fantastic?
    >
    >>The fact is that the systems works for the vast amount of
    >>folks.

    > I agree the system works, but so did open-incision gallbladder removal
    > that required weeks of rest. When laparoscopic "keyhole" surgery meant
    > you could go home the same day and be back at work in days, the system
    > worked for many more folks.
    >
    > Next time you are waiting at the customer service counter, or risking
    > the theft of a $700 bike package by leaving it on your doorstop, think
    > of that dramatic paradigm shift and the difference it could make.

    If you know a way to make this work, I'm sure they'd love to hear from
    you. Knock 'em dead, hotshot.

    Matt O.

  20. bryanska

    bryanska Guest

    >If you know a way to make this work, I'm sure they'd love to hear from
    >you. Knock 'em dead, hotshot.

    My idea: a $10 optional evening delivery charge. Got the
    missed-delivery door tag blues? Log onto ups.com, and change your
    delivery preferences. A pre-registered and verified "trusted recipient"
    account (password-protected) would ensure you are the recipient, just
    like showing a photo ID at the counter. (Kinda like PayPal's verified
    addresses)

    $10 is charged to your credit card on file. A truck comes between 5 and
    9 PM if you give enough notice.

    It involves keeping some delivery staff in the depots, in addition to
    the other 24-hour staff already working there sorting packages.

    If $10 doesn't cover the extra expense, try $15. For the big-money
    packages, it's a drop in the bucket.

    They could pilot it during the holiday season, with a few trusted
    online retailers (Amazon, Apple).

    Am I missing anything?