Getting Polar S710i/S720i to work with Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Guenther Erhard

Hi,

after playing with configurations for some nights I thought I might be reasonable to share
my success.

My computer is a desktop with Duron Processor, Elitegroup K7S5A MB and internal infrared module
(IRDA) from ASUS plugged into the Motherboards IR header. I'm running a dual-boot configuration
Windows98 and Mandrake 9.0. Nothing special so far.

Running the PPP 4.0 Software to upload and download data to my Polar S720i HRM with Windows 98
was no problem after following the instructions told in many threads here and the nokia cell
phone NG (just google for "irda generic serial ir windows 98"). The watch connects to the
software like a charm.

But I wanted to run Dave's program for Linux (see http://daveb.net/s710/). My infrared configuration
of Linux was working because I have no problems syncing my Palm Vx via IR. But when I tried to
connect the s710d program to the ir device /dev/ircomm0 I wasn't successful. Connecting to
/dev/ttyS1 doesn't work because it was blocked.

Here is now the solution:
- make sure that (given you have a internal ir port) the BIOS settings for your IR port (mine is
plugged into COM2) are set to IRDA and not ASKIR or something else
- make sure that your infrared is working with linux. An easy check is to try to discover some IRDA
devices (cell phone, Palm or the S720i) with irdadump. You have to run this program as root and a
running irattach (with -s option) is required. Pointing e.g. the S720i HRM to your IR receiver
(approx. 4 inch distance) should lead to some lines showing that the device is discovered.
Terminate irattach after that test.
- don't start irattach. Check if it is already running (often it is started as a service during
booting). If you need it for some reason, you can always start it manually on demand.
- now your serial port is not blocked by the irattach daemon and so you can connect it to the s710d
daemon: s710d /dev/ttyS1. Please adjust the port to your computer configuration.
- just set the HRM to CONNECT, hold your watch in front of your IR receiver and press OK.
Then select a specific file or all files and press OK again: ét voilá! You've got a working
IR transfer.
- if you need irattach for some reason (e.g. Palm sync) you have to kill s710d beforehand. To make
my life easier I have integrated the starting and stopping of irattach/s710d/s710sh in some
scripts. None of the program is starting during the booting process. Thus it's just a click on an
icon and everything is running correctly.

I hope that my tips are helpful but as it is always with software: your mileage may vary!

Guenther

Guenther Erhard <[email protected]> wrote:
: Running the PPP 4.0 Software to upload and download data to my Polar S720i HRM with Windows 98
: was no problem after following the instructions told in many threads here and the nokia cell
: phone NG (just google for "irda generic serial ir windows 98"). The watch connects to the
: software like a charm.

: But I wanted to run Dave's program for Linux (see http://daveb.net/s710/). My infrared
: configuration of Linux was working because I have no problems syncing my Palm Vx via IR. But when
: I tried to connect the s710d program to the ir device /dev/ircomm0 I wasn't successful. Connecting
: to /dev/ttyS1 doesn't work because it was blocked.

Hmm is the protocol the same as on S810? Gotta try it! :)

--
Risto Varanka | http://www.helsinki.fi/~rvaranka/ varis at no spam please iki fi

Status
Not open for further replies.