Getting punted at races as training? kermesses in belgium

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by sven_jto, Mar 20, 2016.

1. sven_jto

sven_jto New Member

By a (un)fortunate turn of events I've ended up In Belgium and have the ability to race kermesses twice a week (usually wed/sat and sunday) I just did the first proper kermesse of the year and got punted after 20 mins and a DNF. The field got split and everyone was pushing as hard as possible and I think that's one of the reasons why I got punted so bad.
    I got quite demotivated. Half the field DNFed(but I think I'm the 2nd one to dnf though). I've had a shit winter working hard at uni and finding excuses not to train.

I really want to race the Kermesses, finnish and probably be competitive. Last year I did one kermesse when I was out of form in the off season(last race of the year) and I survived for a hour and a bit. I've noticed kermesses are characterized by crit like efforts where every 30-60 sec you sprint at about 800-1000 watts then you keep hard in the saddle for about 20more sec. Basically first 40 mins of the kermesse are the hardest, they last for about 2:45 mins(100-120kms at 42+km/h)
    My Question is Do you recon it would be better the stop going to Kermis races and focus on my training only, or try and do 2 times a week and get punted, hopefully gaining fitness and being able to survive more each time?

Also anyone give me tips on my focus on training. My periodization is quite shit this year.. My FTP is around 3.8w/kg right now(It was around 4.4 last year at peak) and my anaerobic(1min) and vo2(5min) max powers have suffered quite a bit. I'm doing training camp soon where I hope I'll boost my ftp a bit...
    What do you recon my training focus should be and do you recon I have a chance?(I can do about 15hours a week on the bike)

Tags: