Getting ready for a Hilly Century Need Help?

redneck47441

Sep 9, 2009
I'm getting ready for a 2 day tour called the Hilly 100 it's 50 miles each day with 3 stops each day I've been riding everyday for about 25 miles each day up and down some hills should I be gyming to like stairmaster and lifting or is cycling the distance everyday the best workout! I still have a month to get ready!

i'm not a pro by any means, please don't flame me, isn't a century 100 miles in one day ?

redneck47441 said:
it's 50 miles each day with 3 stops each day I've been riding everyday for about 25 miles each day up and down some hills
Just keep riding and take every hill that you encounter as a training opportunity. You'll do fine on ride days, especially if you take advantage of the rest stops to take on water and electrolyte drinks.

If you haven't been training with an electrolyte drink, I recommend Gatorade because it's pretty easy to digest. Just don't overdo it, drink plenty of water, too.

For food stay with the easy-to-digest rule, which also means don't eat too much. You can't go wrong with fresh fruit.

And don't kill too much time at the rest stops. Pee, eat, drink, fill your bottles and pockets, and get back on the road before stopping feels too good.

You need to get some long rides in between now and then.....50 mile, 75 mile, 100 mile if you can swing it.

Looking at the website for the ride (hillyhundred.org) I'd say that unless you're pretty fit then I'd make sure you'd have some nice low gears available. The shorter hills that are less than 0.5 miles you can get up with a bit of brute force riding out of the saddle but the longer 2 mile jobbies with a max grade of 17% may need a bit more time in the saddle and lower gears.

If you're short on 'saddle time' then get a mix of 2+ hour rides in along with some shorter harder rides that include some short steep hills. The Hilly Hundred seems to be a pretty relaxed ride. Don't stress too much about it - just turn up, eat a bit and have a chat at all the rest stops and have fun.

Guys I appreciate the advice ya I signed up for this ride as motivation to ride like I said I had been mountain biking for about a month and just got my road bike this week i know what your thinking that is not enough time in the saddle to do a ride like that but in the two days I've had my bike I've already rode 25 miles each day and getting ready to leave for a 50 and this is not on flat ground and I've been averaging about 18 mph so I'm guessing I'm just a natural? I do plan on riding about 125 a week until the hilly?

if you are going to try to get in some longer rides/weeks in the lead up to the ride, remember that at least in the week before the ride to slow down and reduce your riding and not overdo it too much so you will be fresher and rested for the long effort on those two days. the riding in that last week is not going to help you in the following weekend, but being nice and fresh and rested will make those day much easier.

get out of the gym and spend every minute of time you have available on the bike.. the gym work isn't going to help you and might actually hurt.. try to get in some longer rides and some hilly rides.. rides don't necessarily have to be long and hilly but you at least need some rides with lots of time in the saddle and some with some longer hills... try to do a longer ride 3-5hrs once a week.. absolutely have to do rides over min 2hrs at least twice a week..

as others have said your prep is not really adequate so on the day ride within yourself and drink and eat lots, take your time, find a group to ride with at your pace and enjoy yourself...

Thank you guys very much I have stopped gyming this week because with riding it was sucking me dry lol. I will take it easy the week of the ride!

where do you live redneck? what are the names of the roads and distances of each till each turn?

puleeze. and i don't know of a single redneck that would use the term 'lol' and anywhere near as many times...a real redneck would get shot over that.

I don't know o any rednecks that like excersise! I just say Redneck because that's what I'm classified in my town we have horses and what not! We do some antique tractor pulling too! Ya all my buddies make fun of me when I put on my helmet and go biking but do to a four wheeler wreck and a steel plate 6 screws and two pins in my ankle I try to take it a little easier! I still like to get in my f350 Powerstroke and turn up the country music lol lol lol!

redneck47441 said:
I don't know o any rednecks that like excersise! I just say Redneck because that's what I'm classified in my town we have horses and what not! We do some antique tractor pulling too! Ya all my buddies make fun of me when I put on my helmet and go biking but do to a four wheeler wreck and a steel plate 6 screws and two pins in my ankle I try to take it a little easier! I still like to get in my f350 Powerstroke and turn up the country music lol lol lol!

what a silly, silly dumb ass but as in he words of Ace Ventura, "Alrighty then!". i'll sit back and watch the nightmare continue. :D

at least you all keep it interesting. too bad you all suck ass and always will but your deliverance of undaunted dumassedness at least keeps it alive and kicking.

dumbass hillbillies. :D

I guess I need to find a new forum somewhere where what life you live doesn't make you a dumbass! I thought I was posting a question to be answered not to be ridiculed for being a farmboy! But I guess when everyone around you is perfect you would be a dumbass and I'm not perfect so I guess I dont belong here!

i like how it took you two days to come back and say that after i just called out the s is silent but know that you have been switched with the alienator on the ignore list, houstonian. yourself and the s is silent.

puleeze, the dumb ass vibe is like the force with the both of you, strong. :D

to whatever i just now didn't see ;) seeing as how you never posted the street names of your route, tru dat!

or you can just live with being on my ignore list, houstonian. anyone can check the weather in linton, indiana and conclude that it rained there today slightly, houstonian.

or you can move on and not be a dumb ass and say that you just wiped down your bike with wd-40, dumbass.

teamsmack, "the crucibal for global stupidity." it's true!!

now i'm done. you and the s is silent will forever remain on the 'get lost' list and that is that.

and no need to bother with the pm's any more either, i won't budge on this one. besides, this place is more than big enough for you to have many other people answer your questions and you know this, maan! you need not worry about why i put you on the ignore list in your pm's so you can quit with that card, it's still a loser.

when i see roads and miles and pictures, i'll say i'm wrong and apologize but until then houstonian, nothing.

You may want to think about growing up just a bit Roadhouse! Some of the roads I ride on are HWY 54, 59, 246,and 67 also! I'm sorry Roadhouse for making you angry and thinking less of me as a person with my original question. Looking back at my post I don't see any senseless questions!