getting rid of leg cramps

Jeffonyourleft

Jul 13, 2004
just this year, I have started getting leg cramps. They usually come around the 40 mile mark when I am out for a ride. It has gotten to the point that my one leg has locked up, then the other.

I make sure that I am hydrated, but I try to make sure that I do not over hydrate myself. I have read that it can have a negative effect if you drink too much. Is this correct? I am about 6 foot and go around 210.

Some people have mentioned Lava Salts?

Any suggestions would be gladly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help.

Someone once said to me to try drinking tonic water. Haven't figured out if this works though. For me, the cramps are gradually disappearing with some training.

The worst point was my first ever 20 mile TT, and I was about to catch a guy about 3 miles from the finish, just as I got within 100 meters of the guy, I got a searing pain running through both my calf muscles and I had to slow down to stretch them. :mad:

Jeffonyourleft said:
just this year, I have started getting leg cramps. They usually come around the 40 mile mark when I am out for a ride. It has gotten to the point that my one leg has locked up, then the other.

I make sure that I am hydrated, but I try to make sure that I do not over hydrate myself. I have read that it can have a negative effect if you drink too much. Is this correct? I am about 6 foot and go around 210.

I try putting 1teaspoon of table salt on my standard size (not small) bottle and it minimized the cramping big time. But you have to be well hydrated before going for a race or a ride.

Well, sometimes no matter what you do, your leg muscles get tired and cramp. Is it possible you don't have enough endurance to be doing 40 mile rides yet? How many miles do you have this year? Also, at 210lb you go through a lot more electrolytes than a 180lb guy. Try getting some power bar bites and nibble on those the entire time...I don't know honestly, cramps are weird.

If you say you are hydrated, then I think you need to build more base miles on your legs. I have the same problem too before. I always cramp and I made sure I was completely hydrated before each ride (pee is clear) then down one bottle at least per hour (depending how hot it is outside). But as I build more miles in my legs, cramps went away and could ride longer and stronger. Don't feel bad about it, just keep riding and push yourself. Another thing you might want to consider is rest. Your body/muscle is probably telling you something.

Jeffonyourleft said:

izzodesh said:
if you eat liek 2-4 bananas a day you will never cramp again

Calorie for calorie, I think potatoes actually have more potassium than bananas. Derek Clayton, the former world record holder in the marathon (I think he held it more than 10 years), used to eat potatoes like mad. I think that's part of the reason he did it.

I had problems with my calf muscles cramping up near the 1 1/2 hour point (like clockwork). I think it was primarily to to lack of stretching, and not enough riding. I haven't had the problem for about 2 months now. It usually occures earlier in the riding season.

I've also read the of all things...pickle juice can help alieviate cramps. I read about a football coach at some college in Iowa who uses pickle juice when the players are running drills during practice.