Getting rid of Trek 5200 need advice....Bianchi vs Look

saso

Jan 28, 2004
I recently rode on my group ride and realised that 45 out of 50 bikes were TReks. I have decided that I am going to sell my bike and get a new one that 'everyone' dosent have. I dont have anything against the Trek, I think it rode fine apart from being a bit too big and WAAAAY tooo common. Anyway I am looking at a carbon bike for comfort reasons and was thinking of the Bianchi xl Carbon vs Look 481 sl I hate Colnago colors so thats out. I realise there are some powerful biker brains in here, can anyone help me before I make my second mistake.

Cliff notes- need bike for up to $5000
Look 481sl
Bianchi Xl Carbon
NO Colnago thanks ( dont like colors) Any other advice on bike welcomed.

I have the Bianchi XL Carbon and it is a superb bike. Very comfortable over rough stuff and stiff enough in the BB to sprint well. No problems with discomfort on very long rides.
One suggestion for it if you decide to buy it: get a "clear coat" on it to give a little extra resistance to scratches.

Originally posted by saso
I recently rode on my group ride and realised that 45 out of 50 bikes were TReks. I have decided that I am going to sell my bike and get a new one that 'everyone' dosent have. I dont have anything against the Trek, I think it rode fine apart from being a bit too big and WAAAAY tooo common. Anyway I am looking at a carbon bike for comfort reasons and was thinking of the Bianchi xl Carbon vs Look 481 sl I hate Colnago colors so thats out. I realise there are some powerful biker brains in here, can anyone help me before I make my second mistake.

Look 481sl
Bianchi Xl Carbon

No colors, and no bicycles that are common, but you have been riding a bicycle that was the wrong size and from your post it seems that it didnt bother you untill 44 other people had a bicycle made by the same company (do you think there may have been a good reason for that?). Please do not take this the wrong way and this isn't meant to be a flame but I am curious if whetehr before you purchase a new bicycle you may want to explore your priorities and why you ride to begin with? My guess is that no one in your group is riding a black Huffy but you may want to get it professionally sized this time :)

Look 481sl
Bianchi Xl Carbon

Check out the Calfee Luna - with a clearcoat, to make sure people can see the carbon...

http://www.calfeedesign.com/luna.shtml

OK my friend thanks for the advice but the 54 size I ride isnt really big big, its just that it could be smaller. it was atrade off due to my long torso ...and yeah I was fitted by a pro , actually an ex-pro rider not some arm chair quarter back like lotta Bike shops. Anyway yeah the real reason I want a new bike is because every little *** rides a TRek. Sorry if I offended you but that is the fact. OH btw I ride because I think it looks cool especially all those really cool clothes, heck maybe I should just some new Team Jerseys and forget the bike.

OK my friend thanks for the advice but the 54 size I ride isnt really big big, its just that it could be smaller. it was atrade off due to my long torso ...and yeah I was fitted by a pro , actually an ex-pro rider not some arm chair quarter back like lotta Bike shops. Anyway yeah the real reason I want a new bike is because every little *** rides a TRek. Sorry if I offended you but that is the fact.

I wasn't offended at all, but I think your last post clarifies alot of it for me especially when you say "Anyway yeah the real reason I want a new bike is because every little *** rides a TRek." I am comfortable with my sexuality, and not uncomfortable with that of others, comfortable with my choice of bicycle (that I was informed enough and alert enough to make sure the frame suited me) and hopefully did not come off as ignorant or immature to anyone reading my post.

I do agree that there are alot of Trek bicycles on the road. I think that there are two key reasons for the popularity 1.) the quality of their product. 2.) the quality of their dealers. It is important to know that wherever you take the bicycle, if you do need help it will be available.

On any club ride you will see alot of Trek bicycles, you will also see alot of Sidi shoes, Chris King Headsets, Shimano and Campagnolo Gruppos, Mavic Wheels... the list goes on. Does it make these products less desireable? Should we group their owners and call them names? Are we above them?

Perhaps by the time your next ride comes around 49 of the riders will be on Trek's and than you will be the only heterosexual in the group, have fun.

I rode Treks before they were cool back in the 80's I am presently riding a Look KG261. I love the bike. It is very light and fast and a lot more responsive than say a Cannondale Cad 5 or similar frame which makes it a little more squirrly also. I don't know about the 481 but believe they have some similarities. Mine is carbon black,hard to beat that look for my preference. I would recommend a Look.

Look sorry if you were confused about the topic but I made this post asking feedback on The LOOK 481 and the Bianchi Xl Carbon. I guess I didnt even need to make an Issue about the Trek since it make no difference...its still going. Where I live Treks are VERY common and I just want to be different (kill me for that)!!!

EDIT- You pushed me to respond in anger and I guess you got it. I dont mean that Trek Riders are gay, I think you jacked my thread and offered my nothing of substance. Did I say anything bad about the TREK originally NO! I just said they are common and common they are. I am really in no mood for an arguement, sisnce I just finished my ride on my Heterosexual Trek.

Giant TCR Composite. Check out the recent review at cyclingnew.com. And I agree with you. Most people do not ride TREK because they are superior bikes or because of the dealer network. They ride them because they are a buch of lemmings.

If you want a superior carbon frame go with the Giant. Monocoque construction makes for a superb bike with superior ride and handling. On top of this it is the best bang for the buck of any carbon bike. I would put it up against any carbon frame.

I like it Marlon, but I can't afford it! :)

No one can argue with the fact that Trek's popularity is heavily driven by the success of Lance Armstrong. Some more serious riders who favor Trek bikes for reasons other than L.A. may find themselves a little agitated by this for one reason or another, and there is definitely no shortage of Treks to be found on U.S. roads. I don't feel anyone should be criticized for wanting to ride something different for that reason.

The few reports I've read from riders of the Bianchi XL EV3 Carbon are 100% positive. Likewise, the Look carbon frames I've seen just recently are very, very nice, and riders of those really like them as well. I don't think you could possibly be disappointed in the quality of either of these frames. I'd definitely consider the geometry of these frames and how they compare to your present bike. You may find a factor there which favors one or the other where your specific fitting preferences are concerned.

Originally posted by ewitz
Giant TCR Composite. Check out the recent review at cyclingnew.com. And I agree with you. Most people do not ride TREK because they are superior bikes or because of the dealer network. They ride them because they are a buch of lemmings.

If you want a superior carbon frame go with the Giant. Monocoque construction makes for a superb bike with superior ride and handling. On top of this it is the best bang for the buck of any carbon bike. I would put it up against any carbon frame.

Well call me a "***" and a "lemming" but I don't think anyone can argue with the quality and overall performance of Trek's Carbon frames and I for one am very happy with the level of service and attention I receive from the dealer who is in fact dependent on that manufacturer.

I haven't ever owned a Giant Bicycle but there are certainly no shortage of those on the road and probably with good reason as well....no fags or lemmings riding them though....I think that you have to be a wizard or fairy for that :)

Anyway yeah the real reason I want a new bike is because every little *** rides a TRek. Sorry if I offended you but that is the fact. OH btw I ride because I think it looks cool especially all those really cool clothes, heck maybe I should just some new Team Jerseys and forget the bike.
Buy a Ronald McDonald clown costume, or maybe just an A$$hat.

I actually like the second Colnago pic posted...never say that paint job . is that an 04?

That looks like the Carbonissimo which is their TT frame and is about 50% more expensive than the C40/C50's.

Look 481sl
Bianchi Xl Carbon

I just bought a Look KG 386i. I test rode several Look frames as well as the Trek's. I was amazed at how different the two felt. I had alwasy heard the Trek's felt dead and if you compare them to a Look they certainly do. I haven't ridden a Bianchi but the Look 481sl is a super sweet ride. I went with the 386 because it was less expensive but also a bit more comfortable (mainly less expensive).

I would certainly recommend any of the Look frames.

Scott

just repaint your trek, switch out the straight bladed fork and all the other bontrager components too