getting sick all the time and training

while eating junk food.
> I used to eat a power bar, grab my bike, and disappear at lunch time, so
> nobody could ambush me with working through lunch.

i don't eat lunch 50% of time, and I will have fruits for lunch the
other 50%. I am pretty cautious about what I put inside myself.

> I do it routinely on hot days when I go up into the mountains. On some
> occasions I have had to dip the bottle below the stuff floating on top.
> Looking into the bottle there is a myriad of little things swimming, but
> I consider them free protein.

that's why I bought it. My theory ('theory") is that people get sick
around other people unless it's some exotic animal-to-human disease).
On my numerous trips to the wilderness, experiencing
wind/snow/cold_wet_feet_24_hrs_a_day/sleepless_nights_because_its_too_cold
I have never got sick. In the civilization, it takes an open window to
knock me down. I bet your trick with the bottle wouldn't work in Japan
where they use human feces as fertilizes (unverified information, but I
am too sick to google it).

Bill Baka wrote:
> Who I am, as most people know is a soon to be 58 cubicle burnout. I
> think the job with the high stress and weekends is the problem. Salaried
> jobs sound good at first until that near 6 figure income starts
> requiring 10 hour days, overnighters (been there, done that, new job
> time), and weekends, all with no overtime pay. Some times your health
> and sanity outweigh the money.

Near 6 figure income? A lot of people work salary jobs like this for
less than $50,000 (USD) per year in major urban areas.

--
Tom Sherman - Behind the Cheddar Curtain

age,

30

weight

175/6.0"

general fitness level

threshold 180-185 with max BPM of 195, Vomax 65, 7+ L lung capacity
(when I am not sick); the rest is compensated by pain tolerance.

Diet?

high protein, high carb, fresh veggies, fruits for desert

Vitamins

I think I get them from the fruits.

> Near 6 figure income? A lot of people work salary jobs like this for
> less than $50,000 (USD) per year in major urban areas.

yeah, that's me. People don't do my kind of job for the sake of money.

[email protected] wrote:
>> I do it routinely on hot days when I go up into the mountains. On some
>> occasions I have had to dip the bottle below the stuff floating on top.
>> Looking into the bottle there is a myriad of little things swimming, but
>> I consider them free protein.

> that's why I bought it. My theory ('theory") is that people get sick
> around other people unless it's some exotic animal-to-human disease).
> On my numerous trips to the wilderness, experiencing
> wind/snow/cold_wet_feet_24_hrs_a_day/sleepless_nights_because_its_too_cold
> I have never got sick. In the civilization, it takes an open window to
> knock me down. I bet your trick with the bottle wouldn't work in Japan
> where they use human feces as fertilizes (unverified information, but I
> am too sick to google it).

I wouldn't take you up on it in China or Japan, or even Mexico, for all
that matter. I went to Mexico for the weekend way back in about 1971 and
ate some of their salads made with local vegetables, obviously not FDA
certified. When I got back to my mother's house (I was visiting) I got a
bad case of Montezuma's revenge. It turns out that the Mexican field
workers in Mexico don't have porta potties like they do up here in the
states so they just **** on the veggies. As for Japan using human waste
as fertilizer that is probably a correct assumption, and probably holds
true for China and many other countries in that area. I keep my immune
system on alert, but not to that extent. Yuck.
Bill Baka

[email protected] wrote:
> while eating junk food.
>> I used to eat a power bar, grab my bike, and disappear at lunch time, so
>> nobody could ambush me with working through lunch.

> i don't eat lunch 50% of time, and I will have fruits for lunch the
> other 50%. I am pretty cautious about what I put inside myself.

No bike at work? I worked at a place that was bike friendly and even had
a bike rack inside. The only problem I had was with the pissy Brits who
didn't want my mountain bike to even touch their fancy overpriced road
bikes. Two of them got a flat "F**k off", but the other was one notch
above me in the ranks. Three Brits, three snobbish asses.
One of them even had a title of "Sir", and man, was he a snob.
I have always had trouble with Brits thinking they are so superior.
Bill Baka

Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman wrote:
> Bill Baka wrote:
>> Who I am, as most people know is a soon to be 58 cubicle burnout. I
>> think the job with the high stress and weekends is the problem. Salaried
>> jobs sound good at first until that near 6 figure income starts
>> requiring 10 hour days, overnighters (been there, done that, new job
>> time), and weekends, all with no overtime pay. Some times your health
>> and sanity outweigh the money.

> Near 6 figure income? A lot of people work salary jobs like this for
> less than $50,000 (USD) per year in major urban areas.

My last one was $75,000 (USD) and I was due for a raise when 9/11 ruined
the company. I am (or was before H-1Bs) a damn good engineer and always
got respect and money for what I did. When they let me go, the project I
was working on stopped dead because nobody else could understand what I
was doing. Some other engineers worked on that for 6 months and still
couldn't get it, then the company went belly up, due to accounting fraud
by the very guy who had a bug up his butt for me and laid me off.
Those engineers were friends of mine and I tried to help them when they
called me, but, really, it was no longer my problem. I designed over the
years, a lot of circuits that could have been patented and made the
company big money for a while, but none of them ever wanted to bother.
Now I laugh when I see something I invented 10-15-20 years ago show up
in NASA tech briefs with licensing information. What a crock. One of
NASA's inventions had been done by me in 1985 and is out there in the
world, probably still working, since i did variations of it at 3
different companies.
$50,000 to live in a major urban area? I wouldn't get out of bed for
that much. I have had proposals for $115,000-$135,000 but they all would
require me to stay in the Bay area all week and maybe some weekends too.
I could buy a mini Winnebago and not have to pay motel bills but it just
isn't worth it to me at this point in my life.
Bill Baka

> $50,000 to live in a major urban area? I wouldn't get out of bed for
> that much.

This is consistent with 90% of workers in my area being on H1B. Just
enough to maintain my bike.

In article
<[email protected]>,
"[email protected]" <[email protected]>
wrote:

> >Your training load is too weekend-loaded, and it's sheer insanity to
> > do all your training "just below LT", which you couldn't be doing anyway, or
> > else you'd have broken down a lot faster.

> my understanding is that LT is defined as the effort in a race that
> lasts for 1 hour. So I just kept the effort below it to be able to last
> for 2 or 3 or 5 . It certainly felt good mentally. And yes, it did help
> to unwind from the stress at work. Passing everyone on the road also
> feels good, and I can't deal well with being passed.
>
> OK, If I am convinced I am overdoing it, I am ready to slow down... as
> soon as the current 2 week long cold is over. But I am sure there are
> people who can handle more, so I am wondeirng how they can do it.

Perhaps they do not mind being passed (except on race day).

--
Michael Press

[email protected] wrote:
>> $50,000 to live in a major urban area? I wouldn't get out of bed for
>> that much.

> This is consistent with 90% of workers in my area being on H1B. Just
> enough to maintain my bike.

Depends.
Like I just posted I have had nibbles at the 6 figure level but that
required a commitment to live in the Bay Area away from home all week.
I'm married with a live at home 27 year old daughter taking her time
going through college. I make enough to pay her way and she gets some
grants due to her 4.? GPA. Better to me to have to watch my money than
to work myself into the ground in a damn cubicle. I used to lead a
classic Dilbert life at work and some of the bosses approached the
pointy haired one in stupidity.
Freedom from working for idiots means a lot to me.
Bill Baka

Michael Press wrote:
> In article
> <[email protected]>,
> "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>>> Your training load is too weekend-loaded, and it's sheer insanity to
>>> do all your training "just below LT", which you couldn't be doing anyway, or
>>> else you'd have broken down a lot faster.

>> my understanding is that LT is defined as the effort in a race that
>> lasts for 1 hour. So I just kept the effort below it to be able to last
>> for 2 or 3 or 5 . It certainly felt good mentally. And yes, it did help
>> to unwind from the stress at work. Passing everyone on the road also
>> feels good, and I can't deal well with being passed.
>>
>> OK, If I am convinced I am overdoing it, I am ready to slow down... as
>> soon as the current 2 week long cold is over. But I am sure there are
>> people who can handle more, so I am wondeirng how they can do it.

> Perhaps they do not mind being passed (except on race day).

Let some pass and only chase the easy ones. If I get passed by a guy who
is only riding because he lost his driver's license it is a moral
imperative to me to pass him and leave him in the dust. If I get passed
by a guy on an expensive road bike and I am on my mountain bike I let it go.
Choose your battles.
Bill Baka

> Perhaps they do not mind being passed (except on race day).

I thought I would solve the "need to pass everyone" problem by joining
organized rides. I do not mind riding at a slower pace and being
soical. But all organized rides stop for 15 min on top of every major
climb b/c of the non-drop policy. I find it a waste of my time stopping
every hour for 15 min. After all, I need to get back to work by a
certain hour, so a 3 hour ride becoming a 4 hr ride for no reason does
not work for me.

[email protected] wrote:
> > Perhaps they do not mind being passed (except on race day).

> I thought I would solve the "need to pass everyone" problem by joining
> organized rides. I do not mind riding at a slower pace and being
> soical. But all organized rides stop for 15 min on top of every major
> climb b/c of the non-drop policy. I find it a waste of my time stopping
> every hour for 15 min. After all, I need to get back to work by a
> certain hour, so a 3 hour ride becoming a 4 hr ride for no reason does
> not work for me.

Maybe the haste you demonstrate here feeds into the
way you approach training. However, that's a side issue.
For everybody but a pro, somewhere there is a group ride
(not necessarily a very organized ride) that goes faster
than you. Find that ride. Riding with people slower than
you is fine for sociability, but especially when you are just
starting and don't know what you are doing, you get faster
by riding with people faster than you.

Ben

wrote:

> > Perhaps they do not mind being passed (except on race day).

> I thought I would solve the "need to pass everyone" problem by joining
> organized rides. I do not mind riding at a slower pace and being
> soical. But all organized rides stop for 15 min on top of every major
> climb b/c of the non-drop policy. I find it a waste of my time stopping
> every hour for 15 min. After all, I need to get back to work by a
> certain hour, so a 3 hour ride becoming a 4 hr ride for no reason does
> not work for me.

That settles it. You are driven. You speak about your high
pressure work environment, and now it is clear that you
are one of the chief instigators. Waiting for anyone is a
waste of time. If you can possibly pass someone, then you
will. No judgment here. My advice is to proceed as you are
and see it through to wherever it takes you.

--
Michael Press

On Sat, 9 Sep 2006 19:59:37 -0700, "Frank Drackman"
<[email protected]> wrote:

><[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> >
>>> He's only riding 15mph. Doubt that's LT unless he's a newbie.

>> I knew the speeds would rase questions. I did not bother calculating
>> precisely how fast I am riding and gave estimates. Last time I rode 80
>> miles I did ~17 mph average with 9,000 feet of climbing. And yes, my
>> background is not bike riding, I am relatively new to it.
>>

>I have been reading all of the posts and I think that you just need to ride
>slower on your easier days.

He's appears to have three days a week that are easy and he's doing
the slowed possible riding those days -- none.

But I want to confirm something with the original poster: are you
really not doing anything those other three days (apart from
stretching or other super-easy stuff). Or are you doing
cross-training like rollerskiing those days?

--
JT
****************************

On Sat, 9 Sep 2006 21:33:09 -0400, "Roger Zoul"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>[email protected] wrote:
>::: I would guess you are training pretty much the same every day --
>::: sure way to chronic fatigue and impaired immune system.
>::
>:: actually, it's been like this:
>::
>:: 2 hrs/30 miles Tue
>:: 2 hrs/30 miles Th
>:: 3 hrs/50 miles Sat (or equivalent crosstraining)
>:: 5 hrs/80 miles Sun (or equivalent crosstraining)
>:: I do ride fast (just below the LT and above it on most climes),
>:: especially on the short rides.
>::
>:: Is that proven that athletes have weakened immune systems? I like to
>:: exercise to stay healthy, and to place in a race here and there, but
>:: I would not want to "use" my health to exercise/race. And I
>:: certainly did not expect the above regiment to be "beyond" that line.
>
>Due....don't comparison yourself to a real athlete! Do you work a job?
>Also, you're not elite.

I happen to know this guy is borderline elite in another sport -- like
a very good cat 2 in bike racing. About as good as can be without
super-freaky genetics and with a real job.

--
JT
****************************

[email protected] wrote:
> By "sick" I mean fever and I can''t ride through fever. Otherwise, I
> have a constant background asthma/allergy which I ride through. I just
> take it easy for the first 30 min, then I let myself go. I did develop
> the asthma during these 2 years of "serious" riding, too. Fever colds
> used to take a day or two in the "healthier" (but less fit) days, and
> now they take 2+more weeks.

If you have a cold 2 weeks it probably isn't a cold. It's probably a
sinus infection and you need antibiotics, regardless of what your
doctor may or may not have told you. I don't think anyone has a cold
for two weeks unless they are _severely_ immune-comprimised.

A fever is not a common symptom of a cold in an adult.

You might try making sure you get a flu shot every season. Asthma puts
you in a high risk group for complications. A severe "cold" lasting a
week+ might be flu.

[email protected] wrote:
> age,
>
> 30
>
> weight
>
> 175/6.0"
>
> general fitness level
>
> threshold 180-185 with max BPM of 195, Vomax 65, 7+ L lung capacity
> (when I am not sick); the rest is compensated by pain tolerance.
>
> Diet?
>
> high protein, high carb, fresh veggies, fruits for desert
>
> Vitamins
>
> I think I get them from the fruits.

Do you live or train at altitude?
How many years have you been training like this?
It's pretty obvious that, while you might be fit, you are doing too
much. If you have a high-stress job (do you have children?) and are
trying to ride this much, you are obviously taxing your system. Normal
people aren't sick all the time. The fact that you've posted this
question to two different forums leads me to believe that you recognize
the fact that you've got a problem. However, from your later posts, I
don't believe you're actually going to *take* the advice of these
forums.

The answer is clear - ride less until you're consistently well. The
body can only take so much stress. While riding your bike may seem to
relieve your job stress, piling on 200 miles a week is physically
stressful. When pro's train like this, they go home and nap or play on
their PSP. They don't go back to a 50+ week job. Your body doesn't
know the difference between bike stress and job stress.

What are you training for anyhow? If you're not training to race, then
back off. If you can't ride easy, then do shorter rides and get more
rest. You need to sleep AT LEAST 8 hours per night - 9 if you're going
to train like this. And please take some vitamin supplements.
B-vitamins, C, E, and 1x per week some iron (since you're male you
don't want to overdo the iron). Don't forget the calcium - you lose it
through your sweat just like Potassium and Sodium, but most sports
drinks don't include it.

Best of luck!