getting sick all the time and training

Bill Baka wrote:
> Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman wrote:
> > Bill Baka wrote:
> >> Who I am, as most people know is a soon to be 58 cubicle burnout. I
> >> think the job with the high stress and weekends is the problem. Salaried
> >> jobs sound good at first until that near 6 figure income starts
> >> requiring 10 hour days, overnighters (been there, done that, new job
> >> time), and weekends, all with no overtime pay. Some times your health
> >> and sanity outweigh the money.

> > Near 6 figure income? A lot of people work salary jobs like this for
> > less than $50,000 (USD) per year in major urban areas.

> $50,000 to live in a major urban area? I wouldn't get out of bed for
> that much. I have had proposals for $115,000-$135,000 but they all would
> require me to stay in the Bay area all week and maybe some weekends too.
> I could buy a mini Winnebago and not have to pay motel bills but it just
> isn't worth it to me at this point in my life.

I know of salaried professionals who with unpaid overtime make actual
hourly wages in the $15-20/hour range. If they are lucky they might be
able to find a single bedroom condominium they can afford.

The growing trend is to outsource professional work to SE Asia, with
one person in the US doing final review, which greatly reduces labor
costs.

--
Tom Sherman - Behind the Cheddar Curtain

[email protected] wrote:
Riding with people slower than
> you is fine for sociability, but especially when you are just
> starting and don't know what you are doing, you get faster
> by riding with people faster than you.

By Time Trialing after they drop you off the back ? :(

Bill

--

William R. Mattil : http://www.celestial-images.com

[email protected] wrote:
> OK, If I am convinced I am overdoing it, I am ready to slow down... as
> soon as the current 2 week long cold is over. But I am sure there are
> people who can handle more, so I am wondeirng how they can do it.

They build their base with time in the saddle. If you do some of your
hours at a lower level of intensity, it should pay off in the form of a
stronger base with higher sustainable speed.

I have nothing but contempt and anger for those who betray the
trust by exposing the name of our sources. They are, in my view,
the most insidious of traitors."
George H.W. Bush, April 16, 1999,

greggery peccary wrote:
> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Since I've been having training religiously (2 years) I started having
>> these colds that take forever to resolve. By "religiously" I just mean
>> riding hard 200 miles a week, which is not a big deal after all, pros
>> ride much more than that. When I am not sick I feel greatand not
>> overtrained, but I get infections from every sneeze around me. What
>> supplements should I take to stop this? Any comments?
>>

> are you training indoors with a bunch of other people around? that's a sure
> fire way to catch something. as soon as i stopped going to the gym, my virus
> rate went way down! also-consult your physician.

Germophobia is pretty effective in this case. Wipe down your equipment
with disinfecting wipes before using it and keep your hands clean and
away from the slimy/wet parts of your body.

[email protected] wrote:
> Since I've been having training religiously (2 years) I started having
> these colds that take forever to resolve. By "religiously" I just mean
> riding hard 200 miles a week, which is not a big deal after all, pros
> ride much more than that. When I am not sick I feel greatand not
> overtrained, but I get infections from every sneeze around me. What
> supplements should I take to stop this? Any comments?

Wow, all of this training advice, is this really r.b.r? Oh wait, it got
crossposted to r.b.misc.... :)

> On Sat, 9 Sep 2006 19:59:37 -0700, "Frank Drackman"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>><[email protected]> wrote in message
>>news:[email protected]...

>>> I knew the speeds would rase questions. I did not bother calculating
>>> precisely how fast I am riding and gave estimates. Last time I rode 80
>>> miles I did ~17 mph average with 9,000 feet of climbing. And yes, my
>>> background is not bike riding, I am relatively new to it.
>>>

>>I have been reading all of the posts and I think that you just need to
>>ride
>>slower on your easier days.

> He's appears to have three days a week that are easy and he's doing
> the slowed possible riding those days -- none.

You are right, I should have looked back at the original post. I thought
that he was almost hammering everyday. If he is resting three days a week
he has plently of recovery.

> But I want to confirm something with the original poster: are you
> really not doing anything those other three days (apart from
> stretching or other super-easy stuff). Or are you doing
> cross-training like rollerskiing those days?

Pick up a book on nutrition. 60% carbohydrates and 40% protein and
consider taking a high quality multi-vitamin.

[email protected] wrote:
> Since I've been having training religiously (2 years) I started having
> these colds that take forever to resolve. By "religiously" I just mean
> riding hard 200 miles a week, which is not a big deal after all, pros
> ride much more than that. When I am not sick I feel greatand not
> overtrained, but I get infections from every sneeze around me. What
> supplements should I take to stop this? Any comments?

Warning: Do not use Ultimate-Anonymity
They are worthless spammers that are running a scam.

Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman wrote:
> Bill Baka wrote:
>> Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman wrote:
>>> Near 6 figure income? A lot of people work salary jobs like this for
>>> less than $50,000 (USD) per year in major urban areas.

>> $50,000 to live in a major urban area? I wouldn't get out of bed for
>> that much. I have had proposals for $115,000-$135,000 but they all would
>> require me to stay in the Bay area all week and maybe some weekends too.
>> I could buy a mini Winnebago and not have to pay motel bills but it just
>> isn't worth it to me at this point in my life.

> I know of salaried professionals who with unpaid overtime make actual
> hourly wages in the $15-20/hour range. If they are lucky they might be
> able to find a single bedroom condominium they can afford.
>
> The growing trend is to outsource professional work to SE Asia, with
> one person in the US doing final review, which greatly reduces labor
> costs.

It also has the side benefit of discouraging kids to take engineering
courses in college because they see there is no future in it. Once we
have decimated our own abilities and are dependent on all the countries
we helped we will become the poor country. There is a backlash effect
but nobody is paying attention. When most of our products come from a
communist country to the point that we are dependent on them, then what?
New American jobs created by Bush..."Do you want fries with that?"!!!!
Bill Baka

Followups trimmed to r.b.m.

On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 06:29:22 -0700, Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman wrote:

> Bill Baka wrote:
>> Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman wrote:
>> >
>> > Near 6 figure income? A lot of people work salary jobs like this for
>> > less than $50,000 (USD) per year in major urban areas.

>> $50,000 to live in a major urban area? I wouldn't get out of bed for
>> that much. I have had proposals for $115,000-$135,000 but they all would
>> require me to stay in the Bay area all week and maybe some weekends too.
>> I could buy a mini Winnebago and not have to pay motel bills but it just
>> isn't worth it to me at this point in my life.

> I know of salaried professionals who with unpaid overtime make actual
> hourly wages in the $15-20/hour range. If they are lucky they might be
> able to find a single bedroom condominium they can afford.
>
> The growing trend is to outsource professional work to SE Asia, with
> one person in the US doing final review, which greatly reduces labor
> costs.

Unfortunately, that often leads to the need for a complete do-over
of the entire project, as requirements get misunderstood, or the quality
of implementation is very poor.

The "scrum" model of development might be a reasonable way to do
outsourcing (short "sprints" of development, at the end of which, the
project must be able to actually run and be working), instead of "throw it
over the wall, wait six months, and see what comes slithering back."

Even at that, my experience has been that although the overseas
folks are very smart, they tend to have very little practical experience,
and none at all in the realm of actual software engineering.

--
Chris BeHanna

> Pick up a book on nutrition. 60% carbohydrates and 40% protein and
> consider taking a high quality multi-vitamin.

I've heard (again, unverified) that taking multivitamins makes you
dependent on them. Not in the addiction sence, but in the sence that
your body stops producing/uptaking them as efficiently.

On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 16:46:54 -0400, Dogfighting <[email protected]> wrote:

>60% carbohydrates and 40% protein and
>consider taking a high quality multi-vitamin.

Can you live on zero fat? And what kind of food would one have to eat
to have zero fat?

--
JT
****************************

"Raptor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> greggery peccary wrote:
> > <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >> Since I've been having training religiously (2 years) I started having
> >> these colds that take forever to resolve. By "religiously" I just mean
> >> riding hard 200 miles a week, which is not a big deal after all, pros
> >> ride much more than that. When I am not sick I feel greatand not
> >> overtrained, but I get infections from every sneeze around me. What
> >> supplements should I take to stop this? Any comments?
> >>

> > are you training indoors with a bunch of other people around? that's a

sure
> > fire way to catch something. as soon as i stopped going to the gym, my

virus
> > rate went way down! also-consult your physician.

> Germophobia is pretty effective in this case. Wipe down your equipment
> with disinfecting wipes before using it and keep your hands clean and
> away from the slimy/wet parts of your body.

i get sick on planes too!

[email protected] wrote:
> > Pick up a book on nutrition. 60% carbohydrates and 40% protein and
> > consider taking a high quality multi-vitamin.

> I've heard (again, unverified) that taking multivitamins makes you
> dependent on them. Not in the addiction sence, but in the sence that
> your body stops producing/uptaking them as efficiently.

Please reply.

Followups trimmed to r.b.m.

On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 17:01:07 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>> Pick up a book on nutrition. 60% carbohydrates and 40% protein and
>> consider taking a high quality multi-vitamin.

> I've heard (again, unverified) that taking multivitamins makes you
> dependent on them. Not in the addiction sence, but in the sence that
> your body stops producing/uptaking them as efficiently.

Your body does not produce vitamins in the first place (with the
exception, perhaps of vitamin D).

I'm not sure you heard what you heard, but it sounds pretty
preposterous to me.

--
Chris BeHanna

yeahyeah wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
>
>>>Pick up a book on nutrition. 60% carbohydrates and 40% protein and
>>>consider taking a high quality multi-vitamin.

>>I've heard (again, unverified) that taking multivitamins makes you
>>dependent on them. Not in the addiction sence, but in the sence that
>>your body stops producing/uptaking them as efficiently.

> Please reply.

Well, it's true for steroids anyhow ;-)

http://tinyurl.com/mor7n

Steve

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 16:46:54 -0400, Dogfighting <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>60% carbohydrates and 40% protein and
>>consider taking a high quality multi-vitamin.

> Can you live on zero fat? And what kind of food would one have to eat
> to have zero fat?

How about fiber? My hemorrhoids want to know.

Steve

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 16:46:54 -0400, Dogfighting <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>60% carbohydrates and 40% protein and
>>consider taking a high quality multi-vitamin.

> Can you live on zero fat? And what kind of food would one have to eat
> to have zero fat?

Protein comes in lean Chicken and lean Beef along with the necessary fats.

Steven Bornfeld wrote:

> John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 16:46:54 -0400, Dogfighting <[email protected]> wrote:
>>

>>> 60% carbohydrates and 40% protein and consider taking a high quality
>>> multi-vitamin.

>> Can you live on zero fat? And what kind of food would one have to eat
>> to have zero fat?
>>

> How about fiber? My hemorrhoids want to know.

Lots of carbohydrates have fibre, ever here of whole wheat bread or ALL
BRAN ?

[email protected] wrote:
>>Pick up a book on nutrition. 60% carbohydrates and 40% protein and
>>consider taking a high quality multi-vitamin.

> I've heard (again, unverified) that taking multivitamins makes you
> dependent on them. Not in the addiction sence, but in the sence that
> your body stops producing/uptaking them as efficiently.

That is non-sence... or is that non-sense -:)

On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 20:12:35 -0400, Dogfighting <[email protected]> wrote:

>John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
>> On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 16:46:54 -0400, Dogfighting <[email protected]> wrote:
>>

>>>60% carbohydrates and 40% protein and
>>>consider taking a high quality multi-vitamin.

>> Can you live on zero fat? And what kind of food would one have to eat
>> to have zero fat?
>>

>Protein comes in lean Chicken and lean Beef along with the necessary fats.

So with a little fat in the stuff you mention the guy is getting what,
110%? That's great -- we should give 110% effort in races and eat 110%
too!

JT

--
JT