Getting Sponsorship

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by dannyfrankszzz, Dec 13, 2004.

  1. dannyfrankszzz

    dannyfrankszzz New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2003
    Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew about how to go about getting sponsorship for road racing.

    Is it simply a question of going out and winning a few races and getting noticed?

    Tags:

  2. PeteC

    PeteC Guest

    dannyfrankszzz wrote:
    > Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew about how to go about getting
    > sponsorship for road racing.
    >
    > Is it simply a question of going out and winning a few races and
    > getting noticed?

    Unless you win most of your races, they *won't* notice you. *YOU* have to
    make it happen.

    Decide what you want in terms of sponsorship - goods in kind are easier to
    get than oodles of cash. Approach several (read,Hundreds) of companies who
    can supply what you need, and ask for it. Don't wait for them to come to
    you - find out who the Marketing Director of the company is, and who their
    PR company is. Call them, get in front of them and talk.

    The important thing is to consider the project from 'What can YOU do for the
    sponsor' angle. Why should (for example) Shimano give you free components?
    The answer, of course, is publicity and coverage - but you'll have to tell
    THEM how you will get that for them.
    And.... you'll have to repeat that for every sponsor that you want.
    And.... you'll have to deliver on your promises.

    As a real world example, watch Formula 1 drivers; regardless of the millions
    they earn, they always have to make sure that they wear the correct baseball
    cap during the interviews at the end of the race - because that's the deal
    with the sponsors.

    This advice is not given from a knowledge of cycle racing... it's the same
    for any level of sponsorship. There may be some special 'cycling' tricks to
    sponsorship, but you can't beat the basics.

    HTH,

    Pete.

  3. elyob

    elyob Guest

    "dannyfrankszzz" <[email protected]>
    wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew about how to go about getting
    > sponsorship for road racing.
    >
    > Is it simply a question of going out and winning a few races and
    > getting noticed?

    I'm looking at a sponsorship as well at the moment. Any advice appreciated.

    Tyler Hamilton

  4. MSeries

    MSeries Guest

    dannyfrankszzz wrote:
    > Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew about how to go about getting
    > sponsorship for road racing.
    >
    > Is it simply a question of going out and winning a few races and
    > getting noticed?

    I doubt it very much. Probably best joining a sponsored club and asking
    around there.

  5. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>,
    wrote:

    > Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew about how to go about getting
    > sponsorship for road racing.
    >
    > Is it simply a question of going out and winning a few races and
    > getting noticed?

    My club's policy is to pay for racing licences and strip for younger
    riders who are doing well. However, we're a new club and we haven't
    actually done this yet. My LBS provides free kit and some parts and has
    certainly loaned bikes to people for racing. People who are really good
    do get loaned or given bikes by manufacturers, at least in mountain
    bike disciplines.

    So yes. First thing is get noticed. Second thing is make sure you're a
    member of a supportive club. Third thing is establish friendly
    relations with your most go-ahead independent LBS.

    Copyright (c) Simon Brooke; All rights reserved. Permission is
    granted to transfer this message via UUCP or NNTP and to store it
    for the purpose of archiving or further transfer. Permission is
    explicitly denied to use this message as part of a 'Web Forum', or
    to transfer it by HTTP.

  6. On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 09:22:00 +1100, dannyfrankszzz
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew about how to go about getting
    >sponsorship for road racing.
    >Is it simply a question of going out and winning a few races and
    >getting noticed?

    At the local level, once you have a few wins under your belt you may
    well be able to get local bike shops to give you some freebie kit inna
    sponsorship stylee (I meet a triathlete on the train who is in this
    category), but you have to get a long way up the tree before you can
    live off it :)

    Guy
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

    88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at CHS, Puget Sound