Getting started in Racing

linn34

May 22, 2007
I've been riding for a year now, and I have been seeing constant improvement. I am curious about racing Crits, TT, etc. I have been joining very competetive group rides in my area and can now hang with some of the real fast guys.

How do I get started? Is there a good place to find race information? Do I have to be a USAC licensed rider to get started? I have had trouble finding anything on the net to explain the progression into racing.

Any help that anyone could provide would be welcome.

Thanks,

linn34 said:
...How do I get started? Is there a good place to find race information? Do I have to be a USAC licensed rider to get started? I have had trouble finding anything on the net to explain the progression into racing....
You need a license to race sanctioned events in the US. These days you can get one day Category 5 licenses at most races if you want to check things out or you can get an annual license from the USAC website: http://www.usacycling.org/
That website is also a good place to look for local racing clubs and local events.

Joining a local racing club is a very good way to get experience and learn about the local racing scene. Call some of the higher end bike shops in your area and ask about clubs and teams. Many shops sponsor clubs and many shop employees also race so they should be able to point you in the right direction. Also ask around on these group rides you've been doing someone will know of a good beginners club.

Anyway, guys start as Cat 5 riders. You move up in category based on race experience and points you earn by placing in mass start races. The USAC website explains the upgrade guidelines but from Cat 5 to Cat 4 it's mostly about experience. Time trials are a good way to get your feet wet since you don't have to worry about pack dynamics and can start to figure out where you stand relative to others in general cycling fitness. But you can't move out of the Cat 5s on TTs alone, they want you to have experience in mass start racing to make sure you're safe riding around others. And pure power is only part of the racing equation, tactics and bike handling come from riding mass start events and group rides.

Anyway, it's not tough to start and new folks jump in every season. Start now by finding a local club or your state racing organization. A quick google turned up this: http://gccfla.org/linksflaraceclub.html
check out some of those links to see what's happening in your area.

Good luck and keep the rubber side down.....

-Dave

You don't have to be USAC licensed. You will be able to buy a one day license at most races. However, if you plan on doing more than two or three races, it is cheaper to buy a license for the entire year. And, it will be one less form to fill out at each race.

You can find the races on the USAC website (http://www.usacycling.org/) or www.bikereg.com

Thanks guys. Your tips will be handy. Now off to train.

Merry Christmas.....