Getting Strong, I just need to slim down

mtblvr

Nov 26, 2003
I have been riding pretty steady, MTB every Sunday, up to 4 hours at a time, and then riding my bike back and forth to work every day, about 5 miles each way, and 25 minutes each way. My eating habits suck for the most part. I eat nothing before the morning ride, then somedays eat a traditional breakfast (eggs, sausage, potatoes), other days I might skip the breakfast, lunch usually consist of a fast food lunch, and then a candybar snack during the day. Dinner is not usually too bad, reasonable portioned dinner, then maybe a bowl of frozen yogurt for desert later at night. Get up and do it again.
My legs and arms are getting very strong and developing quite nicely, I weight in about 250lbs. I do crave sweets in the afternoon, and when I get hungry I tend to lost my willpower. Could those in the know help with a diet to help me lose? and continue on the cycling training?
here is a pic of me.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/102031685/102031943eClYbB

Originally posted by mtblvr
I have been riding pretty steady, MTB every Sunday, up to 4 hours at a time, and then riding my bike back and forth to work every day, about 5 miles each way, and 25 minutes each way. My eating habits suck for the most part. I eat nothing before the morning ride, then somedays eat a traditional breakfast (eggs, sausage, potatoes), other days I might skip the breakfast, lunch usually consist of a fast food lunch, and then a candybar snack during the day. Dinner is not usually too bad, reasonable portioned dinner, then maybe a bowl of frozen yogurt for desert later at night. Get up and do it again.
My legs and arms are getting very strong and developing quite nicely, I weight in about 250lbs. I do crave sweets in the afternoon, and when I get hungry I tend to lost my willpower. Could those in the know help with a diet to help me lose? and continue on the cycling training?
here is a pic of me.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/102031685/102031943eClYbB

we change your diet or ride more. I don't eat too much junk food but a ltitle and I ride 20 miles a day. I am loosing 1 to 2 pounds a week.

In my experience, you'll have to diet. If you're going to get fit and ride better, diet is just about as important as the training you do. What has worked for me this year is to get enough high quality protein at each meal, eg, 20-25 gms, cut out as much of the fat and refined sugar as possible, and limit the starch calories.

For example, yogurt is high in lactose (milk sugar). You can substitute low-fat cottage cheese and get more protein without all the sugar. Keeping insulin under control seems to be the key to weight loss for me.
Dan

its simple put less in and more out = weight loss, now the hard bit doing it, I'm now finally on a the losing it trail, couple of months ago I changed my eating habbits, and have almost stopped all the sweet type snacks and eat as much fruit as I want during the day, it's not an easy battle but I'm winning at the moment, hope it works for you

i got down from 210 to 160 in about a year by riding 3.5 hours a day + weight training and counting callories. i think after youve reached your target weight you can break the rules once a month because youre matabolism can handle it and you can justify it with more time on the bike. fruit deffinitly helped me through the cravings.