Getting the right tyres for my rims....

berman

Mar 23, 2008
Good evening all, I am looking to purchase some new road tyres for my Trek 1.7. I currently have 700 x 25 . They are to fat! I was wondering if anyone new if i could put 20mm on my bike? or would i have to go for 23mm.

Also any recommendations as to what tyres i should get? I am thinking of getting Vittoria Rubino Pro Folding. O and what is the differance between folding and normal. Is it that the tyre folds :)

Thanks for any advice sam

berman said:
Good evening all, I am looking to purchase some new road tyres for my Trek 1.7. I currently have 700 x 25 . They are to fat! I was wondering if anyone new if i could put 20mm on my bike? or would i have to go for 23mm.

Also any recommendations as to what tyres i should get? I am thinking of getting Vittoria Rubino Pro Folding. O and what is the differance between folding and normal. Is it that the tyre folds :)

Thanks for any advice sam

I'd recommend a 23mm tire as they protect your rims, offer a better ride and are less prone to sidewall damage.
A wire bead(non foldable) tire has a metal hoop in the tire to be secured to the rim 'lip', a foldable as a kevlar bead. Foldable are a little easier to get on, are a wee bit lighter but otherwise will perform like the wire bead type. Hard to find a bad tire these days but I'd say a 23mm, wire bead from a manufacturer you see in any decent bike shop.

Take a look at all the top "pro" tyres they are all 23 mm, so stick with 23's
Vittoria are very good tyres used them for years- and their top end ones are awesome, but bear in mind all out racing tyres will wear a lot faster.

So I am in total agreement with previous poster.

David

I would just like thank you for your advice, that was the sort of answer i was after, i am going to buy myself some 23mm now, red and black to match my frame. Thank you :)

23mm are quite common. You will not go wrong with Vittorias. Rubinhos should give you decent rolling resistance as well as decent reliability.