Getting Used To Deep Dish Wheels

jwroubaix

Jun 6, 2007
I bought some 52 Mavic Cosmic Carbon wheels. This is my first set of deep dish wheels and have been shocked at the difference when the wind hits you. It really throws you around. I'm a casual cyclist, is there anything i can do to get used to this? When I i'm hitting speeds around 30-35 it's a scary feeling getting thrown around.

You're not going to like my answer, but I would say just keep riding. The same thing happened to me, but I just kept on riding every day and it got better. Also, if you have shoes that clip in you may want ride a little bit with shoes that do not. This helped me because it tricked my mind into thinking that I could catch myself if I fell. Good luck!

The only way to adjust to it is to keep at it unfortunately. It takes time to adjust. Pads and a helmet are good just in case you have more than a problem of adjusting (or anyway because it's safety sense ) . The shoe suggestion is a good idea.

The Mavic Cosmic Carbone SLS are deep but not that deep. It should not be too difficult to control that. You just have to lean into the wind a bit to compensate. I have 60mm Reynolds wheels on my tri bike and they're fairly easy to control. I've ridden Zipp 808s and HED 9plus and THOSE can be a complete PITA.

I'm not the biggest fan of deep dish wheels. I tried them once and I experienced a similar problem to yours. And then I eventually decided that I didn't want to purchase a bike with deep dish wheels. A friend of mine absolutely loves them though, but he has become accustomed to them.

Deep dish wheels offer significant aerodynamic benefits over their shallow counterparts. With traditional wheels, you need a lot morepower to increase speed, since the wind resistance is exponencially greater as you go faster. The turbulence created by the deep dish wheel as it moves through the upper arc of its rotation which creates the role deep dish wheels fill, reducing the speed at which they hit the wind and therefore the amount of energy required to overcome the wind resistance.

So yeah, you have to just get used to it or change them.

Well if you are used to biking with the Deep Dish, you might as well get along and continue to try it out. Nothing wrong in riding in Deep Dishes.

Like others have said you will learn with time. I've been on tri-spokes for well over 20 years, and also run 80mm and go out in strong winds with no problem.

The aero advantage is noticeable. Even for us old farts.

Most guys leave the aero wheels at home when the wind ramps up and either swap bikes that they leave low profile training wheels on or swap out the aero wheels on their road bike for their low profile pair of wheels. I have seen guys just put a low profile wheel on the front and leave the 50 on the rear. There's a lot of, "It all depends.".

What is the wind speed and direction? What profile are we talking? Experience level? Weight, strength and reactivity of the rider. Are they being ridden in a group or solo? Different rim profiles and contours react differently to crosswinds and different yaw angles.

Reactions: zipp2001
Seeing as how, I ride with a handlebar bag, now, aerodynamics is the last thing on my list. I'm more concerned about taking what I need on the randonneur rides and at the same time, cutting down on excess weight. Back when I did time trials, I used to ride with a disk wheel. I doubt that it helped all that much. What you need are a good pair of legs and stamina to last and last.

A handlebar bag and other parasitic drag loads on the bike, an upright position on the bike, riding speeds in the sub-20 MPH range...the advantages offered by something like a Mavic Cosmic 50 MM wheelset will be minimalized, but some Watt savings / speed gain will still be present. I don't see any local randyknees types using aero setups at all. Like you said, it's probably the last priority of a touring rider.

For performance riders it is often the first priority. And quantifiably so. The web is easily searched for the data...from college / team wind tunnels and manufacturers testing results to users' data to triathletes finishing results to time trialists' records to road racer's data to age-graded racers' benefits to the performance gains seen by my team mates...aero works.

Your rear disc wheel did provide you with some measure of speed increase / Watt reduction (now exceeded by the better 80 MM, 90 MM and 100 MM wheels in some cases). How much you could take advantage of the disc was, of course, dependent on what your legs could output.

I have to agree that training is THE most important factor in performance...period. After that, aerodynamics, fit / position and equipment weight rank next.