Mountain Bikes · Public discussion

Getting used to larger frame size?

Started by Rick · · Last activity · 3 posts · 500 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Mountain Bikes
Published
27 September 2007
Last activity
27 September 2007
Original author
Rick
Posts
3
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
500
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–3 of 3
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I'm 6' tall with a 31" inseam. I actually owned a 14" bike years
    back, because we rode in tight, tight singletrack and many people rode
    real small frames with extended stems and seatposts. I moved to the
    east coast. Things are spread out here. I went to an 18" bike.

    Monday I bought another bike. This time I went up to a 19". After
    riding an 18" and a 19" around the block, I got the 19". It stretched
    my back out very nice.

    Now, on the trails the 19" feels like a bus. Granted, I've been away
    from the trails for a year and a half. But am I just getting used to
    the new frame, or have I bought too big?

  2. Rick said:

    I'm 6' tall with a 31" inseam. I actually owned a 14" bike years
    back, because we rode in tight, tight singletrack and many people rode
    real small frames with extended stems and seatposts. I moved to the
    east coast. Things are spread out here. I went to an 18" bike.

    Monday I bought another bike. This time I went up to a 19". After
    riding an 18" and a 19" around the block, I got the 19". It stretched
    my back out very nice.

    Now, on the trails the 19" feels like a bus. Granted, I've been away
    from the trails for a year and a half. But am I just getting used to
    the new frame, or have I bought too big?

    Sounds about right to me - I'm 5'11" and my MTBs have all had 19-20"
    frames. Having said that I started my cycling life on the road and I
    prefer XC-style off-roading (though too old and unfit to race any more!)
    rather than mad freeriding or DH, so I'm comfortable with a long-low
    riding position.

    I expect you'll find on your first few long rides that the shifted
    weight distribution will alter the handling and also be harder on your
    arms but less tough on your butt! Go ride - you'll soon get used to it
    and unless you like doing really tricky stuff I think you'll prefer it
    in the long run.

    Ian

  3. Rick said:

    I'm 6' tall with a 31" inseam. I actually owned a 14" bike years
    back, because we rode in tight, tight singletrack and many people rode
    real small frames with extended stems and seatposts. I moved to the
    east coast. Things are spread out here. I went to an 18" bike.

    Monday I bought another bike. This time I went up to a 19". After
    riding an 18" and a 19" around the block, I got the 19". It stretched
    my back out very nice.

    Now, on the trails the 19" feels like a bus. Granted, I've been away
    from the trails for a year and a half. But am I just getting used to
    the new frame, or have I bought too big?

    If it was the same brand/model of bike, the diff in terms of wheelbase
    probably isn't much more than a cm, which wouldn't very significant.
    Different brands and/or different types of bikes (xc hardtail vs 8"
    travel DH bike) would have different geometries and, obviously, very
    different handling characteristics.

    If the bikes are pretty similar, do you still have the old bike?
    Measure the distance from the center of your bb to the top of your
    seat, the distance from the nose of your seat to your handlebars, the
    height from your handelbars to the ground. You may need little more
    than a 1 or 2cm shorter stem to get it close. Are your cranks the same
    length as the old bike? (Should be, but a .5cm difference there can
    feel like a lot.) It'll be hard to get it exactly the same, but you
    should be able to get it pretty close.

    /s

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.