Getting used to toe clips?

blaed

Dec 19, 2004
Hey all.. Completely newbish question here. :)

Just bought a Kona Dew today, with the intent of riding into work in the new year (it's close enough that it's embarassing to drive.. 5-6km). Had trouble finding one in the right size, think I got the last 52cm frame in the state until the next shipment :)

Now, the last time I rode a bike was in primary school, on a k-mart "mountain" bike, so it's been a while. Had a quick ride around the block, and it mostly feels comfortable, except I'm having problems getting my feet into the damned toe clips! Was hoping someone could offer some tips on how to get into them. I'll try some narrower shoes tomorrow, see if that helps, but mostly I'm having trouble flipping the second pedal while moving. Is there a trick to it, or is it just practice (finding a quiet place to practice is tough in brunswick too :/)

I'm really tempted to try removing the clips, although i know this would kill my performance, to be honest I don't really need much performance at the moment, and if I'm getting a lot of use out of the bike I can look at clipless or something maybe. Not sure how to get the stupid things off, but there's always the local bike shop I guess.

Any help would be appreciated. :)

Thanks,
-David

The best way to start in toe clips is to have one foot in to get the bike rolling and fiddle with sticking the other foot in while underway. Pedal with the foot that's already secured until you get it right. The straps should have some adjustment buckle to allow a wider entry space.

Really though, toe straps just suck. Personally I think they are trickier and more dangerous than clipless pedals- not to mention being uncomfortable for your feet if your wearing street shoes. I would unbolt the straps and just ride regular pedals until your ready for clipless.

ohgodnooo! said:
The best way to start in toe clips is to have one foot in to get the bike rolling and fiddle with sticking the other foot in while underway. Pedal with the foot that's already secured until you get it right. The straps should have some adjustment buckle to allow a wider entry space.

Really though, toe straps just suck. Personally I think they are trickier and more dangerous than clipless pedals- not to mention being uncomfortable for your feet if your wearing street shoes. I would unbolt the straps and just ride regular pedals until your ready for clipless.
Ugh. Was afraid of that answer. Might have to see if i can figure how to get the damned things off tomorrow.

Thanks... :)

blaed said:
, but mostly I'm having trouble flipping the second pedal while moving. Is there a trick to it, or is it just practice (finding a quiet place to practice is tough in brunswick too :/)

If that's Brunswick in Melbourne, I would have the left strap undone for most of a ride through that area -- very dangerous on the main roads.

Flippling the second pedal over to get your foot in just requires practise, but if the pedals don't spin freely enough, it can be very difficult, and a stiff pedal can make it almost impossible.

I still spend a lot of time in toe-clips, and one tip for ya is to slightly bend up the end of the buckle with some pliers to allow you to get it undone quicker and easier.

I still do a lot of short commutes in runners and toe-clips -- nothin' wrong with it. For example, there's no way I'm gunna put all my lycra **** to ride 8km to some bike shop to buy a new tube.

531Aussie said:
If that's Brunswick in Melbourne, I would have the left strap undone for most of a ride through that area -- very dangerous on the main roads.

Flippling the second pedal over to get your foot in just requires practise, but if the pedals don't spin freely enough, it can be very difficult, and a stiff pedal can make it almost impossible.

I still spend a lot of time in toe-clips, and one tip for ya is to slightly bend up the end of the buckle with some pliers to allow you to get it undone quicker and easier.

Yep, Brunswick in Melbourne... I live on Lygon St. Somewhat intimidating as someone who is woefully out of practice on a bicycle.

I'll check how freely the pedals spin, and I guess just keep practising. There's a dead-end road I can get to without going onto a major road, may just have to put up with looking like an ass riding up and down it a bit until I get the hang of it :)

Need to try and map out a route to work avoiding major roads as much as possible. Not sure if I can, I work in East Coburg (so when I drive it's right up lygon until bell st, then right, then left)

In the 70s and 80s I rode MANY miles using top clips. I always started with my right foot inside the toe clip, and my left foot pedaling on the flat pedal (toe clip was upside down). And after a while, I’d drag my left foot back, when my toes are past the axle, push down slightly, the pedal will rotate, and then push you foot forward into the toe clip. Takes practice….

OR… I’ve been riding clipless now for a few years. And IMHO clipless is WAY better than toe clips. On my mountain bike and tandem I use SPD pedals, and I use Look A5.1 pedals on my road bike. I’ll never ride with toe clips again.

bikeguy2004 said:
In the 70s and 80s I rode MANY miles using top clips. I always started with my right foot inside the toe clip, and my left foot pedaling on the flat pedal (toe clip was upside down). And after a while, I’d drag my left foot back, when my toes are past the axle, push down slightly, the pedal will rotate, and then push you foot forward into the toe clip. Takes practice….

OR… I’ve been riding clipless now for a few years. And IMHO clipless is WAY better than toe clips. On my mountain bike and tandem I use SPD pedals, and I use Look A5.1 pedals on my road bike. I’ll never ride with toe clips again.

I also use SPD pedals on my mountain bike and Look pedals on my road bike. After using toe clips and straps for many years I have to agree with some of the posters that said clipless are easier and safer. If it's a money thing, you can go the SPD route and get both shoes and pedals for less than $100 (U.S.). Another thing that makes it easier to get into toe clips is to have a flat bottomed shoe without rubber grips like so many athletic shoes have.

blaed said:
Yep, Brunswick in Melbourne... I live on Lygon St.

Need to try and map out a route to work avoiding major roads as much as possible. Not sure if I can, I work in East Coburg (so when I drive it's right up lygon until bell st, then right, then left)

JEEZ, go to bed! :D Oh, hang on, it's now 3:48am!! :p

YIKES!! BELL ST????!!!!! :eek: Danger.

jabike said:
Another thing that makes it easier to get into toe clips is to have a flat bottomed shoe without rubber grips like so many athletic shoes have.

This is true, but when commuting in VERY busy areas where you have to stop and put your foot down ALL THE TIME, there's nothing like having a full rubber sole. :)

I got my first toe clips about 1980. Learned to power through most of the pedal cycle. When you learn to master it it is like having a passing gear. I now use SPD pedals and Performance ATB shoes. Trying to ride bare pedals is like riding naked. With regular shoes you will find foot pain on even short rides. They just do not have enough support for the ball of the foot. Get regular bicycle shoes as soon as you can.

I used to ride with the straps loose enough to easily get the shoes in. Never did cinch up the straps. It doesn’t take much practice and you will never look back. Bikeguy2004 nailed it, practice.

531Aussie: ATB shoes have rubber around the cleat. A road shoe may be a little hard and slick when on the ground but the correct placement of the foot on the pedal while riding far out ways those few seconds on the ground. I have 14 lights in 5 miles and get to stop for at least two thirds of them. No problems.
Phil Lux

See: http://www.cyclingforums.com/t194980-.html

But seriously guys, these give the best of both systems, any soft street/running shoe with the ball of the foot over the pedal axle, and a firm strong pedaling action with easy in and out.

There are two of us in Perth evaluating these for short course Triathlons at the moment.

I use toe clips on my commuter bike and think they are perfectly fine. I don't like the added hassle of bringing along work shoes to ride clipless pedals.

Getting used to toe clips takes about a week of riding. Practice in a nice safe area. In a week it will be second nature and you'll be jumping on your bike and flipping into the clips in seconds.

If you want to try clipless, Shimano makes a MTB shoe that has a nice recessed cleat and looks enough like a regular shoe that you could wear it to work. Lots of MTB pedals make sense for commuting. Speedplay Frogs are a nice choice. Double sided entry and very easy to get in and out of. If you're just commuting I recommend against getting any sort of road pedal or shoe. Road shoes are lousy for having to constantly unclip and put your put down. The cleats will get torn up and are not particularly safe for leaning on, at least compared to a rubber sole.