Getting water in the outback

daviddd

Oct 30, 2006
Yo guys
I am doing a circuit starting Perth in October this year - is there any resource that would tell me where I can get water (wells, tanks, muddy puddles etc.) along the way, and perhaps detail likely quality. I'll be mostly on Highway 1 but may venture inland for a few days if water is available. I'll be heading west from Cairns just after the rainy season (April -May) so maybe water will be more available then? I've heard about tanks on the Nullabor but what about Cairns - Darwin - Perth? Ideally I'd like to plot all the water points on a map, unless a map is already available with this feature.

What about roadhouses - how amenable are they to a dirty cyclist asking for 25 litres of the stuff, and am I expected to pay for this, or would I have to buy bottled?

Any advice gratefully received.

Your best source of knowledge will be local knowledge, gained as you go. No commercial site is going to deny you water, especially if you buy food or beer or stay the night.

artemidorus said:
Your best source of knowledge will be local knowledge, gained as you go. No commercial site is going to deny you water, especially if you buy food or beer or stay the night.
That's good to know, I guess my anxiety will decrease after being 'out there' for a few days! Can't wait!!