getting weirder

Joshua Goldberg

Guest
The LBS says it cannot remove the cassette and say I need to buy a new wheel and axle and new
cassette and start over.

New question: Is there a way to keep my chain on a 6 speed cassette when the system is designed for
a 7 speed cassette? I may just change everything to a 6X3 (I have several on other bents) and leave
the cassette on.

> The LBS says it cannot remove the cassette and say I need to buy a new
wheel
> and axle and new cassette and start over.

Lousy LBS then. Even if they cannot unscrew the lockring they just could cut through it... and
even if they cannot remove the lockring one day or the other - they can unscrew the hub drum and
install a new one. Besides - how lame a mechanic must be to be unable to unscrew a lockring with
proper tools?

> New question: Is there a way to keep my chain on a 6 speed cassette when the system is designed
> for a 7 speed cassette? I may just change everything to a 6X3 (I have several on other bents) and
> leave the cassette on.

6/7/8 speed chains are compatble. 8 spd chain is slightly narrower then 7 spd. But that is a
minuscule amount.

--
Adam Kad³ubek uz - a.t - katowice - d.o.t - msk - d.o.t - pl

I am now thinking I created the problem myself when I adjusted the front Boom, by making it an inch
shorter, I created an extra inch of chain which in turn falls off the smallest sprocket of the 6
speed cassette. It is a most weird feeling to be pedaling and have my chain fall off.
"Adam Kadlubek" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > The LBS says it cannot remove the cassette and say I need to buy a new
> wheel
> > and axle and new cassette and start over.
>
> Lousy LBS then. Even if they cannot unscrew the lockring they just could
cut
> through it... and even if they cannot remove the lockring one day or the other - they can unscrew
> the hub drum and install a new one. Besides - how lame a mechanic must be to be unable to unscrew
> a lockring with proper tools?
>
> > New question: Is there a way to keep my chain on a 6 speed cassette when the system is designed
> > for a 7 speed cassette? I may just change everything to a 6X3 (I have several on other bents)
and
> > leave the cassette on.
>
> 6/7/8 speed chains are compatble. 8 spd chain is slightly narrower then 7 spd. But that is a
> minuscule amount.
>
> --
> Adam Kad³ubek uz - a.t - katowice - d.o.t - msk - d.o.t - pl

" by making it an inch shorter, I created an extra inch of chain "

Actually you now have 2" extra of chain..................

Jerry