Getting your feet on the pedals after WWing

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by tylercox, Jan 15, 2005.

  1. tylercox

    tylercox Guest

    Just wondering how you are supposed to get your feet back on the pedals
    after you get done wheelwalking? I've got WW down pretty well, but when
    I get tired and want to go back to normal riding, I find like it's a
    guessing game when you put your feet down. With my big KH-style saddle,
    I can't see the pedals at all unless I lean really far, and then I
    usually fall. Is there some trick to it? Thanks, guys! :)

    --
    tylercox - 11-year-old UniDude!

    If you can wheelwalk a giraffe backwards off a 10 foot jump while
    balancing a Coker on your nose...I'll give you a nickel.

    -Tyler Cox
    tylercox's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6120

  2. mgrant

    mgrant Guest

    That's a good question!

    I found that was the most difficult part of ww. It wasn't until I
    learned 1 foot ww that I was able to consistently get back to pedals.

    What I do now to get back on the pedals from ww is to drop my left
    (non-dominant) foot to the pedals 11 o'clock position. If the pedal is
    already there then I drop the other foot and I'm done. If the pedal
    isn't there then I keep pushing the wheel with my right foot until it
    is.

    Unfortunately this means that I cannot arbitrarily get back to pedals in
    any position.

    Hope this helps.

    -mg

    --
    mgrant - Ever hoping for the best!

    The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older, shorter of
    breath, and one day closer to death.
    michael_j_grant (at) yahoo (dot) com
    Gallery: http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/Michael_Grant/
    mgrant's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/440

  3. john_childs

    john_childs Guest

    If you try to look for the pedals over the front of the seat and between
    your legs you will find that you have to lean too far forward and that
    will throw off your balance. The trick is to look to the side over the
    outside of your leg rather than between your legs. You just need to
    tilt your head to the side and look down while keeping your upper body
    mostly straight. You'll be able to get a glimpse of the outside edge of
    the pedal. You won't be able to see the entire pedal, just the outside
    edge. But that's enough.

    Getting back to the pedals is the tricky part of wheel walking. It's
    usually where I mess up. I'm in the process of learning how to one foot
    wheel walk. Once I get the one foot WW mastered I'll be able to do the
    little trick that mg described. Doing it that way you don't have to
    look down at the pedals at all. The problem is that one foot wheel
    walking isn't coming easy to me.

    --
    john_childs - Guinness Mojo

    john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

  4. jagur

    jagur Guest

    tyler,
    just keep practicing, after awile you will be able to pause and lift one
    foot off the tyre onto a pedal, then the other.

    if your having trouble 1 footing john, try one footing but leave the
    other foot on the pedal and just let it go around while the other i
    foots, soon the new feeling will come and putting your non-walking foot
    on the crown wont be such an odd feeling.

    --
    jagur - Random Unicyclist

    Tim's main man.
    -Forget_Your_Life-
    --------------------------------------
    -------*muni militia *-------
    *one wheeled death squad*

  5. Gilby

    Gilby Guest

    john_childs wrote:
    > *The problem is that one foot wheel walking isn't coming easy to me. *

    Try practicing it on a slight slope, so that you're going downhill. This
    will aid in getting your foot to do some more gliding as you bring it
    back for the next push.

    --
    Gilby - Unicyclist.com Webmaster
    Gilby's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1

  6. john_childs

    john_childs Guest

    jagur wrote:
    > *if your having trouble 1 footing john, try one footing but leave the
    > other foot on the pedal and just let it go around while the other i
    > foots, soon the new feeling will come and putting your non-walking
    > foot on the crown wont be such an odd feeling. *

    I'm starting to get the hang of it. My main problem is that I only
    practice my 1 foot ww once every week or two and even then my practice
    isn't focused. I've been practicing when I go to indoor practice with
    The Uniques one a week. I had a handful of 10 to 12 foot rides last
    week so it's getting there. 10 to 12 feet is more than just a prolonged
    controlled fall so I was actually doing at least a little 1 foot wheel
    walking.

    I'll look for an outdoor spot with a slight downhill and see if Gilby's
    tip helps.

    Since Michael Grant can do it I know it's not an impossible skill for a
    talentless hack like myself. :)

    --
    john_childs - Guinness Mojo

    john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

  7. unitrialser

    unitrialser Guest

    mgrant wrote:
    > *That's a good question!
    >
    > I found that was the most difficult part of ww. It wasn't until I
    > learned 1 foot ww that I was able to consistently get back to
    > pedals.
    >
    > *

    I found that the most difficult part of ww _was_ ww! Going back to the
    pedals was rather easy for me. I just looked to see when the pedal was
    down all the way, then I put that foot down and brought the other down.

    --
    unitrialser - Team Hazard

    Mindless Films
    http://www.geocities.com/mindless_films

    "Pink is the new black." -- Jess Riegal's Helmet
    unitrialser's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8794

  8. john_childs

    john_childs Guest

    unitrialser wrote:
    > *I found that the most difficult part of ww _was_ ww! Going back to
    > the pedals was rather easy for me. I just looked to see when the
    > pedal was down all the way, then I put that foot down and brought the
    > other down. *

    The wheel walking is the hard part. Getting back to the pedals is just
    tricky at first and takes practice till you can do it consistently. I
    can do it most of the time, but I still mess up more often than I would
    like. I'm not consistent yet. The consistency is what separates those
    who have mastered a skill and those who still need more practice.

    --
    john_childs - Guinness Mojo

    john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

  9. johnfoss

    johnfoss Guest

    First you have to see the pedals. A common mistake made by many riders
    is then watching the pedals until they get to where you want them. This
    tilting down of the head messes up your balance. You really only need a
    single glance. After that you will know where the pedals will be for the
    next half-turn of the wheel or so, which should be all you need.

    I think I usually step down to the rear pedal. For this to work, you
    just need to let the wheel get a little in front of you. Then when you
    put your foot down on the pedal it will be pushing up to grip your foot.
    If you step to a front pedal, get yourself out in front of the wheel
    first so you get resistance there. Then when your foot gets to the pedal
    you can just push down and continue riding.

    But here's the fun part. Once you get used to it, you don't have to look
    at the pedals at all. I never worked on this specifically, but I can get
    my feet back to the pedals without looking. If your WW technique is
    smooth, you can *feel* where the pedals are, by the zig-zagging of the
    wheel. Once you get to where you can feel that, you can put your feet
    down without ever taking your eyes off the audience.

    As with any physical skill, just keep doing it over and over to make it
    easier...

    --
    johnfoss - Walkin' on the edge

    John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone

    "Read the rules!" -- 'IUF Rulebook'

  10. I didnt have that problem.When i was learning i could ww 1 revoulution
    then get back on the pedals easy,but i cuold never ww more than 1
    rev.getting back on the pedals was the easy part.

    I geuss im jus' weird.

    --
    forrestunifreak - R.I.P. Unibiker

    FOR SALE:
    1 parachute,only used once,never opened,small stain.