Getting your feet on the pedals after WWing

tylercox

Guest
Just wondering how you are supposed to get your feet back on the pedals
after you get done wheelwalking? I've got WW down pretty well, but when
I get tired and want to go back to normal riding, I find like it's a
guessing game when you put your feet down. With my big KH-style saddle,
I can't see the pedals at all unless I lean really far, and then I
usually fall. Is there some trick to it? Thanks, guys! :)

--
tylercox - 11-year-old UniDude!

If you can wheelwalk a giraffe backwards off a 10 foot jump while
balancing a Coker on your nose...I'll give you a nickel.

-Tyler Cox
tylercox's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6120

That's a good question!

I found that was the most difficult part of ww. It wasn't until I
learned 1 foot ww that I was able to consistently get back to pedals.

What I do now to get back on the pedals from ww is to drop my left
(non-dominant) foot to the pedals 11 o'clock position. If the pedal is
already there then I drop the other foot and I'm done. If the pedal
isn't there then I keep pushing the wheel with my right foot until it
is.

Unfortunately this means that I cannot arbitrarily get back to pedals in
any position.

Hope this helps.

-mg

--
mgrant - Ever hoping for the best!

The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older, shorter of
breath, and one day closer to death.
michael_j_grant (at) yahoo (dot) com
Gallery: http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/Michael_Grant/
mgrant's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/440

If you try to look for the pedals over the front of the seat and between
your legs you will find that you have to lean too far forward and that
will throw off your balance. The trick is to look to the side over the
outside of your leg rather than between your legs. You just need to
tilt your head to the side and look down while keeping your upper body
mostly straight. You'll be able to get a glimpse of the outside edge of
the pedal. You won't be able to see the entire pedal, just the outside
edge. But that's enough.

Getting back to the pedals is the tricky part of wheel walking. It's
usually where I mess up. I'm in the process of learning how to one foot
wheel walk. Once I get the one foot WW mastered I'll be able to do the
little trick that mg described. Doing it that way you don't have to
look down at the pedals at all. The problem is that one foot wheel
walking isn't coming easy to me.

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

tyler,
just keep practicing, after awile you will be able to pause and lift one
foot off the tyre onto a pedal, then the other.

if your having trouble 1 footing john, try one footing but leave the
other foot on the pedal and just let it go around while the other i
foots, soon the new feeling will come and putting your non-walking foot
on the crown wont be such an odd feeling.

--
jagur - Random Unicyclist

Tim's main man.
-Forget_Your_Life-
--------------------------------------
-------*muni militia *-------
*one wheeled death squad*

john_childs wrote:
> *The problem is that one foot wheel walking isn't coming easy to me. *

Try practicing it on a slight slope, so that you're going downhill. This
will aid in getting your foot to do some more gliding as you bring it
back for the next push.

--
Gilby - Unicyclist.com Webmaster
Gilby's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1

jagur wrote:
> *if your having trouble 1 footing john, try one footing but leave the
> other foot on the pedal and just let it go around while the other i
> foots, soon the new feeling will come and putting your non-walking
> foot on the crown wont be such an odd feeling. *

I'm starting to get the hang of it. My main problem is that I only
practice my 1 foot ww once every week or two and even then my practice
isn't focused. I've been practicing when I go to indoor practice with
The Uniques one a week. I had a handful of 10 to 12 foot rides last
week so it's getting there. 10 to 12 feet is more than just a prolonged
controlled fall so I was actually doing at least a little 1 foot wheel
walking.

I'll look for an outdoor spot with a slight downhill and see if Gilby's
tip helps.

Since Michael Grant can do it I know it's not an impossible skill for a
talentless hack like myself. :)

--

mgrant wrote:
> *That's a good question!
>
> I found that was the most difficult part of ww. It wasn't until I
> learned 1 foot ww that I was able to consistently get back to
> pedals.
>
> *

I found that the most difficult part of ww _was_ ww! Going back to the
pedals was rather easy for me. I just looked to see when the pedal was
down all the way, then I put that foot down and brought the other down.

--
unitrialser - Team Hazard

Mindless Films
http://www.geocities.com/mindless_films

"Pink is the new black." -- Jess Riegal's Helmet
unitrialser's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8794

unitrialser wrote:
> *I found that the most difficult part of ww _was_ ww! Going back to
> the pedals was rather easy for me. I just looked to see when the
> pedal was down all the way, then I put that foot down and brought the
> other down. *

The wheel walking is the hard part. Getting back to the pedals is just
tricky at first and takes practice till you can do it consistently. I
can do it most of the time, but I still mess up more often than I would
like. I'm not consistent yet. The consistency is what separates those
who have mastered a skill and those who still need more practice.

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

First you have to see the pedals. A common mistake made by many riders
is then watching the pedals until they get to where you want them. This
tilting down of the head messes up your balance. You really only need a
single glance. After that you will know where the pedals will be for the
next half-turn of the wheel or so, which should be all you need.

I think I usually step down to the rear pedal. For this to work, you
just need to let the wheel get a little in front of you. Then when you
put your foot down on the pedal it will be pushing up to grip your foot.
If you step to a front pedal, get yourself out in front of the wheel
first so you get resistance there. Then when your foot gets to the pedal
you can just push down and continue riding.

But here's the fun part. Once you get used to it, you don't have to look
at the pedals at all. I never worked on this specifically, but I can get
my feet back to the pedals without looking. If your WW technique is
smooth, you can *feel* where the pedals are, by the zig-zagging of the
wheel. Once you get to where you can feel that, you can put your feet
down without ever taking your eyes off the audience.

As with any physical skill, just keep doing it over and over to make it
easier...

--
johnfoss - Walkin' on the edge

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone

"Read the rules!" -- 'IUF Rulebook'

I didnt have that problem.When i was learning i could ww 1 revoulution
then get back on the pedals easy,but i cuold never ww more than 1
rev.getting back on the pedals was the easy part.

I geuss im jus' weird.

--
forrestunifreak - R.I.P. Unibiker

FOR SALE:
1 parachute,only used once,never opened,small stain.