GF Tassajara vs. Kona for first MTB

Ferdinand

New Member
Aug 30, 2004
I'm in the market for a Mountain Bike. I've looked around a lot and have ridden several bikes, except for the two that I'm considering riding. One LBS has the Tass disc for about $800. Another offers the Kona Cinder Cone for about the same and the Blast for under $700. Based on my experience trying out bikes on trails, I'd like to have disc brakes and a somewhat decent fork. Can anybody offer any opinions of these options based on experience? Thanks in advance.

Ferdinand wrote:
> I'm in the market for a Mountain Bike. I've looked around a lot and
> have ridden several bikes, except for the two that I'm considering
> riding. One LBS has the Tass disc for about $800. Another offers the
> Kona Cinder Cone for about the same and the Blast for under $700.
> Based on my experience trying out bikes on trails, I'd like to have
> disc brakes and a somewhat decent fork. Can anybody offer any
> opinions of these options based on experience? Thanks in advance.

Buy the one that fits and feels best.

Bill "what do you mean you've ridden several bikes EXCEPT for the two you're
considering?!?" S.

"S o r n i" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Ferdinand wrote:
> > I'm in the market for a Mountain Bike. I've looked around a lot and
> > have ridden several bikes, except for the two that I'm considering
> > riding. One LBS has the Tass disc for about $800. Another offers the
> > Kona Cinder Cone for about the same and the Blast for under $700.
> > Based on my experience trying out bikes on trails, I'd like to have
> > disc brakes and a somewhat decent fork. Can anybody offer any
> > opinions of these options based on experience? Thanks in advance.

> Buy the one that fits and feels best.
>
> Bill "what do you mean you've ridden several bikes EXCEPT for the two

you're
> considering?!?" S.

Everything sucked by the sounds of it.

But yeah, i'm with Bill on the suggestion of fit over price/components.

Dan

Ferdinand <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Can anybody offer any opinions
> of these options based on experience?

The gf bike is made by trek and they break too easily when used as
intended. On the other hand, kona cuts corners by using crappy cheng
shin spokes, which break easily at the head and can ruin a ride. Look
at the Raliegh M80.

JD

> Ferdinand <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> > Can anybody offer any opinions
> > of these options based on experience?

> The gf bike is made by trek and they break too easily when used as
> intended. On the other hand, kona cuts corners by using crappy cheng
> shin spokes, which break easily at the head and can ruin a ride. Look
> at the Raliegh M80.

I'd be wary of a bike suggestion that isn't even spelled correctly.
Shows the posters lack of experience with said product.